1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06/07 GSXR fuel pump

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DBConz, Mar 20, 2017.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

My fuel light on the speedo is always solid, but I know I'm above 1/4 gallon in the tank.

Is there a way to fix the pump or disable the sensor so it won't keep my bike in limp mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Could be several things. Check the easy stuff first and look for a short in the wiring to the speedo. You didn't say which engine size 06/07 GSXR but I believe all use a float type sensor in the tank which has either a stuck float or a defective float sensor/switch. You'll need to remove the pump to check it.

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Low fuel does not enable limp mode. Fuel light should flash at about 3 liters and go solid at about 1 liter. Your float may be faulty.

Steeltoe and badmoon692008 like this.
  4. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

I want to add that this is a spare fuel pump that just was modified with a hose out the side for easy draining when switching fuels.

The previous pump in my tank was fine, so it's not a wiring issue on the bike or speedo.

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Jim check the metal contact that is at the end of that arm where the arrow is pointing. The fuel pump on my racebike had an issue where the metal lead was not in good contact there so it would always flash like the fuel was low because the sensor would think the arm was always in the low spot (i.e. almost empty). As you fill the tank with fuel the black float swings upwards, and that metal sensor on the end of the arm slides along that track and that's how it knows what fuel level its at. If that metal tab is bent, broke, missing that usually is that causes a problem.

That's where I would start.

IMG_2902.jpg

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Thanks Kaz

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Take the drain tube off and see if it changes things. That's really not a good idea. You really work the pump hard when you run it constantly to drain fuel and they are prone to failure as it is. Use a siphon.

9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

I'm not using the pump to drain. The fuel is drained with the bike (and pump) off.

10. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

So I checked the fuel pump over the weekend. The isn't touching the metal, so you were right. It's not bent though. There's a little bit of play in that pivoting arm, so it won't make contact.