1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

05 diesel excursion .. 1 wheel wonder? or is it limited slip?

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, Sep 2, 2016.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Giving me a KILLER DEAL :) i got big bucks off the new vehicle as they said they knew it would sit on the lot all winter.. at minimum. But alas, may years later in hindsight, i wish i had gone 4x4

thanks. That was for sure the direction i had been headed, the ability to go on/off

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So your issue is using 1 wheel drive on your way to race something with 1 wheel drive?

When Broome finds out there are 1 wheel drive trucks his head will explode

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. orangesuzuki

orangesuzuki Well-Known Member

To make sure you have a 10.5 you can look at the rear diff cover there are tags on it that will tell you all the info. Diff size and gear ratio. I've seen the clutch packs for the limited slip be bad and they are servicible. I can look up what you have by just your vin # on fords oasis website if those tags are missing.

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

That's what I had Greg, a Detroit.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Don't get a detroit

Wheel Bearing and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. MELK-MAN

appreciate it. i looked all around the diff and the only tag is one that says "use **** synth oil" (couldn't make it all out, but it was just something saying to use a specific oil).
    the last 8 of the vin is 5EA57547 .. i can get all of it if ya need. from what i'm being told though, this model doesn't have clutches. it's literally a 1 wheel wonder. thanks!

8. PMooney Jr.

Yes, that should have been conveyed clearly with what I said.

9. MELK-MAN

no worries PMJ. that was the impression i got from your post when you were talking about how it often wanted to go straight, tougher to steer.

10. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Greg, can't you copy the VIN and take it to the dealrs' Parts department for explanation?

11. PMooney Jr.

10-4.

Yeah the Detroit isn't a full time locked piece like a spool. In theory it should work exactly as your truck does now until you break traction then it locks up and turns both wheels. In practice, at least on my vehicle, long sweeping corners under power would be enough for it to see a difference in rotation from the left to right wheel and start to lock itself up. Wasn't a huge deal to adjust steering input but it's when you let off the throttle that it would suck. The diff would unlock and you'd dive to the inside of the corner like you'd just got off an FZR600 and jumped on a TZ250 but used the same turn in point :D I grew to hate driving it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. orangesuzuki

orangesuzuki Well-Known Member

Pmed you greg

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

i had the truck at the ford dealer last week and they couldn't tell me. However i was just talking to my service writer, and perhaps he could have found out if he asked around.. Tom (orangesuzuki) is running the vin today for me and I will hopefully know what rear end it has.

no doubt that would suck. if i go with some aftermarket setup, it will be one that as some posted above, i can manually lock and unlock.

14. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried about that crappy 6.0 than the rear end. Can't believe you're having issues though. My truck is 4x4 and open rear diff and I've never had to put it into 4x4 except when off-roading or in snow. With that said, I want a 7.3 diesel excursion. Might consider the v10.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

An easy way to tell if you got a limited or open diff is to jack up the axle. Spin one tire forward. If the other tire goes the opposite direction, it's open. If they both spin the same direction, it's a limited slip.

And if it hasn't been covered already, it's going to be a couple hundred bucks to reset the ring and pinion. It's just not something you unbolt and bolt back in.

16. MELK-MAN

i have had very few issues with the 6.0L, and had the "bullet proof" conversion done 2 years ago. (egr delete, arp head studs, replaced some other stuff, had coolant system flushed for the casting crud a LONG time ago). the only time i have issues with traction, is at harescramble or enduro races towing my 27' toyhauler. if it's dry and solid ground? no issue. but with any moisture that softens the dirt or gets slick, i have issues and have to be really careful where i drive. was pulled out by a buddy 2 times last season. If i can at least get true 2wd (not the open rear end that Tom found my truck has, it's not a LSD), that will at least give me double the drive traction i presently have.

17. MELK-MAN

according to my vin that Tom looked up, i've got an open diff. would have loved to have had a limited slip and just replaced the clutches, but i figured i didn't have that problem. the rear diff was serviced for a new ring gear about 100,000 miles ago. was still spinning 1 wheel before and after that. should have some options now though including installing a Uconn rear carrier assy that he suggested.

18. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I have an 03 excursion, i went truetrac in the rear and left the open front.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  19. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

He's been driving that thing FORRRRREVVVERRRRRR. two hundred track days, one thousand race weekends and playing five hundred times at croom. Yeah, I'd call that good service.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. MELK-MAN

160,000 miles on the excursion. Croom duty is left to the ol' 1992 acura vigor and lil 4x8 open trailer. 356,000 miles and still keeps on tickin.. well, literally. ticking a little louder these days, and can't put more than 4 qts of oil in it without it leaking all over the driveway. :)

V5 Racer likes this.