1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

05 diesel excursion .. 1 wheel wonder? or is it limited slip?

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, Sep 2, 2016.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i love my 2005 excursion. 160,000 miles, but parking in open fields at harescramble races is getting bothersome with my non-4x4 vehicle. I have noticed that it only spins 1 wheel, never both. I thought the clutches in the limited slip diff were worn, but a diesel tech said after checking the VIN on my truck, it's literally, is a 1 wheel drive. Not a limited slip that just has clutches worn out.

So, looking at options on converting with an Eaton E-locker, where you push a button that locks the rear 2 wheels. you unlock obviously for normal driving so the tires don't get torn up.
    Any truck techs with insight on this?

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Do it and don't look back

3. MELK-MAN

the e-locker thing? getting some quotes from local offroad shops now. it was gonna be over $3000 to do a fully OEM limited slip diff conversion..

4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

What?! Do the excursions have an 8.8 rear end like the f150?

If so you can grab a cheap 31 spline posi rear end from a junkyard, have it rebuilt and in there for a lot less than a grand.

5. Rebel635

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Or put a tractor/cutting brake on it where you can brake the rear tires independently, then you are out maybe 1oo bucks. <edit> Went to find some and man, I'm old. We were buying these things for 50 bucks back in the day, now they are ~150 bucks.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. MELK-MAN

so this silly thing literally is a "one wheel wonder" ?

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Detroit TrueTrac, around $800 for the (?)Dana 80, plus install kit and labor.
    Nothing to wear out clutch-wise, no air or wiring considerations...forget it's even there.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I had a Detroit in the back of a Suburban with a 1 ton rear end. Man I didn't like it at all. Towing a trailer around corners under power it would wind up and want to push the truck straight. Let off the throttle and it would turn hard again. Crazy annoying trying to drive it. My only experience with one.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I wouldn't put it in an Excursion, an air or electric locker sure.

I think you need to find a 4x4 F350 chassis and just put the body on it :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. 418

418 Expert #59

Weld the diff, problem solved.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Spool, pussy.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Pfft. Do that shit right and weld the spiders.

buzz-06 likes this.
  14. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Good ole Lincoln locker

Dragginass and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You'd be surprised how well feathering the brake while using the gas helps with transferring power in an open diff (and a limited slip).

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. Rebel635

17. MELK-MAN

i want to sooo badly, but the overall costs are lookin more prohibitive than i had hoped. In hindsight, had i known i woulda been doing offroad races, i would have gone 4x4. i actually went way outa my way to get the non-4x4 and had it portered here from a dealership in michigan.

18. MELK-MAN

it needs to be the kind you can take out of 2wheel drive mode. All the reading i did on some truck forums said just this.. if it's locked all the time, it's no good.

yep. this is along the lines of what i'll likely be looking at.. just wondering why there are some that have a button that locks and unlocks from 2wheel drive? i sure wouldnt' want it driving both rear wheels except when needed.

19. MELK-MAN

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

What the hell was someone in Michigan going to do in the winter with this one wheel drive wonder?

Dragginass and MELK-MAN like this.