1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

04 RSVR Factory: gremlin

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Ahab, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I just had another weekend of racing the RSVR torpedoed by this gremlin (fortunately I have an SV, so not a total loss at Road Atl). Last year, GNF, I'm out in practice, rolling OK when the bike stalls, just like someone turned the key off, 1.5 seconds later it comes back like nothing happened. Very disconcerting and dangerous. As you know, the wires between the volt reg and the stator get very hot and the brown connector is know to melt. It looked like those wires were shorting, as they melted the insu and were possibly making contact. Turns out stator was bad. Had the stator, voltage reg and the wiring in between replaced this winter by very Aprilia-experienced folks (Shockley, et al, at BMW Touring Sport). The wires were run directly (not between the cylinders) and the connector was positioned up front so that it might get some cooling effect through the holes I drilled in the fairing to cool the voltage reg. All work nicely done. So the first time I have a chance to race the thing, what happens? One 3-4 lap shake-down, no problems. Then, on the out lap of my first real session, I'm exiting T7 and with no warning and some fast 600 guys on my tail, the thing goes dead for about 1 - 1.5 seconds and comes back, FCK!!! I'm screaming in my helmet (after immediately getting my hand in the air). I rode the bike back to the pits and parked it. I'm not certain, but I think the cluster went blank when I lost power?? Batt connections are good. Tip over sensor fine (doesn't work), no obvious problems. Wires at the brown connector are still hot as hades in July when the bike is running. Maybe normal? Any ideas for helping me find the problem? (PS: I posted this on the Aprilia forum too.)
    Many Thanks, Wera #61

2. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Check the hot side going into the ECU. Say it came back on? Would not the ground be solid and the hot was the cause? Just guessing it is a lost (+) at the fuse/battery posts ends that lead to the fuse box/hot wire into the ECU so as to shut down the dash.

No reason you could not wiggle the grounds with key on as well. So, key on and shake the ECU with the connectors attached. You shake a female or male terminal that is suspended in the air is no contact is that float of the wire female to a male ECU or vice verse.

3. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Did you have a chance to see if the dash went blank during all that excitement. And exiting T7, any idea of throttle opening percentage (50,75 100% ??)

4. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

A friend had a similar situation on his ZX6R when he used a gasket sealer on the stator gasket to prevent possible oil leaks...

It was a ground issue in his case. Might be worth a look in yours.

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yep, sounds like my ground issue at Barber. Different bike, but same symptoms.

6. 56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

A buddies Mille did the same thing once following him in the mountains, don't know how he ever fixed it.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. That's what we're thinking: ground issue. I'm racking my brain to remember what the dash did, I'm thinking it went blank but not completely certain (damn). I believe I was pretty high in the tach, shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but having just made the shift (no quick-shifter) there may have been a drop in the tach (80% ?? throttle). Some interesting ideas. Much appreciated. keep 'em coming...:up:

8. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Have you contacted a factory service national rep?
    Even if you caused the problem (not saying you did) the factory reps are very sensitive to major and potentialy very dangerous operating glitches...even if they are not warranty related.
    There is a 1 800 number in the owners handbook where you can get on a waiting list to be contacted.
    Also, you might give IATN a look and see if you can find a member shop or tech in your area who can access the "pattern failure" and/or known failure databases.
    Meanwhile check every connector and hard ground by breaking and remaking EVERY connector and hard point connection and examine for signs/symptoms of corrosion, overheating or water intrusion.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Thanks, good advice, much appreciated. I've turned the thing over to Rick Matheny (RM Racing, very good tuner) and will give him a heads-up to this thread. He should be able to access the database. Calling the factory rep didn't occur to me, again great idea. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. Thanks--