1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

04 cbr1000 setup questions

Discussion in 'General' started by robfromc, Jul 25, 2009.

1. robfromc

robfromc nice member

I just picked up a 04 cbr1000, it needs a few items and welcome the advice.

Need tires, more to do with size than brand. I run 180/55's on my rc with good results, can the inline do well with this size? I know many say the 180 has no place on a liter bike but its worked fine for me and usually save a few bucks over the 190/55

Chains cooked, 15x41or42?

Suspension settings? Any base line with the stock stuff? I haven't measured sag yet...I know that's first. I'm 200lbs-215 with gear. The forks are flush with the tops of the triples, leave them or bring them up a few mm(5)?

Thanks! This will be a totally different bike for me than the rc, but I'm stoked to get it dialed in!

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Are you talking about racing or street riding? If street riding...just ride it.

I raced one with decent success once upon a time. I can give you a few pointers next week. I'm in a hotel room right now getting ready to go to bed. Your biggest issue will be getting the bike to turn. Stability is awesome with this bike, but it comes at the price of flickability. I can't help you with stock suspension though.

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I heard you won a championship or two in the other org on one. Might have been someone who was actually fast though. :Poke:
    :p

4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the stock factory suspension on that bike totally SUCKS, especially if you are in the 200 lb range. As stated, if you are just going to casually ride it on the street, go with it the way it is, although you will never get the sag settings dialed in. If you are going to be using it on the track, plan on putting an after market shock on the rear and at least some different spring in the front forks. Mine is a track only, and I'm running -1 front +3 rear. The only problem that you will have with that setup is that unless you are very smooth on the throttle, you will be spinning up the rear pretty easily.........oh yea, it does tend to wheelie pretty easy coming out of the corners too. The other thing is if you are at a track that has long straights, you may run out of top end. I've never run anything other than a 190/55/17 on mine (Power Race), so I cannot speak for the 180 size tire and how it may or may not work for you.

5. robfromc

robfromc nice member

Clay it will be a 50-50 mix, street/track. I've got very few miles on it, and it felt very planted, but didn't really want to roll in. Kinda hoped it was the shot tires, but seemed like there was something else at play.

Stock suspension for now, have to save a bit.

Nighty night :)