1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

03 SV Shock

Discussion in 'Tech' started by black&blue, Nov 4, 2003.

1. black&blue

black&blue Broken Member

I've heard both ways, but does anyone know for sure if the new gen SV's are using the same shock (Penske) or not??? Thanks.

Brian

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yes, we run a 475 spring,others 500

3. Suff

Suff Well-Known Member

I was told by Penske, Thermosman, and Cycle Tech that they are different. I was sold one that was actually for an 02' and Penske sent Thermosman the parts to correct it.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Well, I have not tried to put the 02 shock on the 03,but when I recieved my Penske,I had all the shocks lined up on the workbench.The eye to eye,stroke,everything was the same, execpt the spring on the 02 was a 550

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Ok, so does anyone know the preferred spring rate for a 185 lb rider on an '03?
    Is the '03 and earlier STOCK shock the same length?

And on a related note... will I be able to swap my GSXR front end from the old bike to the '03 without changing bearings/etc.?

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

My 02 tripple fixs into the 03 with no mods, if that helps.I have a Penske 8760 with a 475 spring,used at the GNF only, I can sell for $975

7. Tristan

Thanks, that helps. I'll pass on the Penske, I've already got one that just needs resprung.

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

we use 550 spring.
    not sure about front end.what size is stock upper bearing on 03?

9. Tristan

And your weight is???

10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

This is Zoran right?How the hell can you run a 550?I had a 500 on mine, could only get 20mm of sag! Put the 475 on, perfect.Thermosman said most are using the 500:)

11. TWF2

right.we like it stiff :D
    most run 600/650 on old sv and I run 700.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Wow,and you get proper sag?

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yeah, you would think you wouldn't get any free sag in the back. My dad's bike had the 650 spring and had the same issue. At the GNF, he moved to a 600 and got some free sag back.

Tristan, why the GSXR forks? You're not going to run in LW SS?

14. TWF2

yes,I do.
    btw. what is proper sag?is there one number that works for everything and everybody or is there from to.

15. Tristan

Skinny bastids! I use a 700# spring and get good sag #'s.
    The GSXR forks are already fitted to the old SV, and the '03 I'm buying has bent stockers on it. I'll worry about what class I'm running once I get a running racebike!

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Skinny,you're talkin about Martin:) I'm 185!I figured that's what is was with the forks,SVs bend like putty.Every one I looked at has a smashed front.

17. Tristan

Actually., I was referring to the Krafts. And I think the 700# springs Zoran (and I) are talking about are on pre-'03 SV's. So I gather you're using a 475 on an '03?

18. TWF2

about 180 naked.
    I checked for front end.03 sv uses same upper bearing as gsxr's so any front 96 or newer should bolt right in without bearing swap.
    dont you have older gsxr front?

19. Tristan

My forks are '96 GSXR1100, but triples/wheel/brakes etc are 96-99 GSXR 750 (they didn't mate without a fight!). SV stem is pressed into GSXR triple.

20. TWF2

I think you will have to unpress stem and press gsxr stem in.