1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

03 SV 650 won't run.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nikponcherello, Mar 29, 2004.

1. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I have an 03 SV 650. It won't run. It'll turn over, and if I spray carb cleaner in it, it'll run fine. The fuel pump is working but not kicking on. I know it works because when I jump the relay it pumps gas, but the relay never comes up on it's own.
    The biggest problem is that I don't have an instrument cluster. (the clown I bought it from didn't tell me it was missing) So I can't get error codes until I get the cluster.

Any ideas?

2. 3redzxs

3redzxs New Member

Sure sounds like the relay is bad. Check to see if it's getting switch on power. If so, it must be bad.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I belive you have to have the guages plugging in to activate the pump.

4. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

I ran my '03 at VIR without the gauges plugged in.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm kind of under the weather from Jennings, and have not unloaded the trailer.I'll check tomorrow.When I first started building the bike, I had some issues with the guages.

6. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I think I figured it out and I think it is the ignition. I'll know tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

7. macdaddy

macdaddy PRAISE "BOB"

Did you remove the key switch???

8. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

Ya, and I had the wiring botched. I have it correct now.

9. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

so.....like.......you're all good now? it works?

do you need me to come up there and build your bike for ya?:D

10. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

I would let you know if mine would start without the gauges, but I blew mine up at Jennings.

The 03's seem to be very unreliable. I know of 5 basically stock 03 motors that have let go. From broken cranks to dropped valves.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

And So

Jerry have you found it?

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Jerry, what happened?

addition: Jerry, what type of engine-break in did you do to the motor? (or how many miles were on it when you bought it). Any idea what the other bikes had done to them for breaking in?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  13. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

I'm sure I dropped a valve. I want to see if the valve stem broke off at the tip, or if the keepers let go.

My bike had 186 miles on it when I got it. I did 20 dyno pulls and took it to the track. I had already changed the oil twice. I figure it had just over 300 miles on it when it happened.

It now forces my hand to add some 'goodies' while in there.

14. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Just what I need to hear before my first race!
    The 03 SV motors are grenades with out even splitting the cases.:mad: