1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'01 GSXR-750 engine noise

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GSX-R 3/4K, Sep 29, 2005.

1. GSX-R 3/4K

GSX-R 3/4K Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any idea what can cause the noise coming from thengine.When the motor is a cold is ok but when gets hot it makes those wierd noises going off the trottle.It is a metalic kind of a noise.After the engine cools down a little everything seems to be normal.Any ideas? The motor has 18500 miles,always fresh oil but it was "abused"a little on the street.( always high RPMs).I'm the first ownerand the bike was broken in properly. Any ideas? I need possible quick answers before the next track day:D thanx in advance

2. GSX-R 3/4K

update

it starts when the engine gets 200 degrees.It's on and off on the begining and then constent knocks :confused:

3. Polar X

Polar X Well-Known Member

Mine is doing the same thing and no one here can figure it out. I have 17800 miles on mine.

ANYONE anyone....hellllooo

2001 750 GSXR

4. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Depends on the noise the 2000 and 2001 had an issue with cam chain tensioner. THis sound would get louder when warm as chain strenches.

5. GSX-R 3/4K

Polar X I think our bikes are done :( I'm about to change my spark plugs to start with something and then start diggin deeper.The bike doesn't lose any power so my best guess is either valve or cam chain.I heard something about shimming the valves which should be done after about 10,000 miles (I have never done that) Any help???:confused: :confused: :confused:

6. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Normal valve clearance gets tighter not looser so noise, if heard, is valve to piston which I cannot imagine ever hearing until damage is done (ie bent valve).

7. GSX-R 3/4K

8. Polar X

Polar X Well-Known Member

I almost feel stupid printing this, but here I go.

After having several peeps look at, listen too, and generally rub their heads and say "beats me". It turns out it was the headers vibrating against the bottom of the motor. It turns out that the clearance was so close that they had to get HOT (200 plus) and changed shape just enough to make contact and rattle.

How did I figure this out you ask? well I got mad at the noise and kicked the rt side of the bike with my heal and low and behold the noise stopped for a sec. So I looked down to what I kicked and it was the mid pipe. So after the next practice round I put my heal on it while it was rattling and the noise went away, completely. Spank my ass and call me horsey, all this worrying about a motor going boom and it was the f-n pipe rattling. Once the bike temp got below 200 it was gone and no amount of throttle would bring it back with out going back out for warm up laps. I know it sounds like I should have checked this up front, but I had several experienced motor builders listen to it and they were clueless too. (which is normal for me)

So GSX-R 3/4K it may be a long shot but check yours and see. I really hope it is something simple like that for you to.

Our season is over here in the MRA, we loose 2 tracks for next year, SCR and now PPIR. sucks ass.....

9. GSX-R 3/4K

I wish that was the problem in my case:( I double checked today but no )There is some stupid kind of a noise like a diesel.I'm afraid that the engine may blow up in the wrong time in the fast corner , so I don't wanna take a chances.:( :( :(

10. GSX-R 3/4K

11. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Start the bike let it warm up, kneel on the right side of the (throttle grip side)bike. Rev the bike to 4-6k rpm and quickly let off. If it makes a rattle/diesel sound when you let off, then thats your Cam chain tensioner. Common problem on Gixxers, racers usually run manually tensioners from APE. Goodluck!

12. GSX-R 3/4K

but mine make the ratle ( diesel kind of a ) noise even on idle. I actualy removed the tensioner and checked it out and it looked ok. I was manualy trying to push the tensioner all the way but it didn't go any furter.What was the exact problem with the tensioner do u know ?Maybe I overlooked something?

13. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

They will "look" ok but look at the teeth on the ratchet part, they should show some wear

14. GSX-R 3/4K

so the tensioner can actualy come back to make the chain lose?It looks like the tensioner can go only one way or thats the problem with them???I saw a little wear but nothing major.

15. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Yup it will skip back a tooth, and then when you get on the throttle the oil will extend it back out

16. GSX-R 3/4K

If I replace the tensioner with an other one would that fix the problem or I need the manual one.Is it happening b/c the cam chain is to lose or the tensioner is f..up?.And what do u do with the oil hose after installing the manual one?( on the other side).
    Thx for the quick answers( I was waiting for them all week)

17. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

If you put a new tensioner that will solve it, its the tensioners that goes bad. To run a manual it takes time to get them set right, and the oil feed line you will have to cap it off with a bolt and copper washer.

18. GSX-R 3/4K

From the begining I suspect the cam chain but after I checked it I tought it's ok.But that's may be a problem. If I get one I may still make for the track tomorow:D I let u know.

19. GSX-R 3/4K

eeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BINGO!!!!!!that was the problem! Big thanks ibidu1!!! I owe you a beer!!!I borrow the tensioner from my frends 750.It looked worn to,but still worked. Just enough to prove the problem!!

20. drew955

drew955 Member

GSXR Engine Noise

In June's Issue of Road Racing there is an Article about the o1 GSXR's about that in the valve port that there is a flau in the design that there is a bad curve in the valve shaft that makes air circulate and in turns causes the engine to suck a valve. The article starts on page 78 and ends on page 87. There is a fix for it but it in vovles a complete valve job and valve porting work. If you do this work they reccamend a 5 angle valve job which is expensive but you should never have the problem again.