1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'01-'02 GSXR600 HP Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Ex CCS Racer, Dec 29, 2001.

1. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Regarding the Hawk Motor that is making 68 ft-lbs at 8500 rpm...that works out to 110 hp, not 103 hp. HP=[(Torque)x(Engine Speed)]/5252 is what I was taught in engineering school. Better check how your dyno is calculating horsepower. 110 is even more impressive!

2. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Adjust the torque number for drum and clutch slip, and you're making even more power.

The only way to get "real" horsepower numbers is with a directly coupled engine dyno; i.e., get the torque number off the crank directly. Even then, there are errors introduced, but far fewer than are present after going through the drivetrain and friction driving the big dyno drum with the rear tire. Rear wheel horsepower is an inherently fuzzy number due to the numerous variables introduced by the measuring process, but it's still a good way to measure the relative performance benefits of modifications as long as you're running the same bike on the same dyno under more or less the same conditions.

3. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Or just line everybody up at the track and start runnin' them on the same dyno [​IMG]

4. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

alabama dyno's don't give good #'s i think it is the humidity! [​IMG]

5. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

How'd you know I was talking about you? Cheater [​IMG]

6. GREG#22

i am the only back woods redneck from alabama that i know of on the bbs!

7. Lucky

Lucky professional lurker

8. Lucky

hey Greg! You're not the only one on here. I'm your neighbor there in Tuscaloosa. Oops! Maybe I shouldn't admit that I'm a redneck. [​IMG]

9. GREG#22

do you race?

10. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Lucky The Lurker race? ROTFLMAO! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Lucky

Ha Ha Tom! I knew you'd make fun of me. No Greg, I do not race. That would be a scary sight. However I am pitgirl for a few racers from the Prattville/Montgomery area. [​IMG]

12. GREG#22

cool,you go to UA so does my pitgirl [​IMG]

13. Lucky

yes I do go to UA. :) Of course, right now I'm stuck in snowy Atlanta. lol However, I will be back in t-town in a few days.