clutch info

Discussion in 'General' started by 2Roger10, Feb 20, 2024.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Maybe this question belongs in tech, but how can a clutch increase torque? Torque is produced by the engine and the clutch is part of the drive train. If the old clutch is able to transfer 100% of the torque produced by the engine, then how can different clutch plates transfer more than 100%? If the old clutch is not able to transfer all of the available torque, then isn't this just a problem with the clutch that can be fixed by replacing the worn oem components with new oem components?

2. 2Roger10

2Roger10 Well-Known Member

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Jesus fuck, the dude doesn’t understand mechanical force, he just stated as best he could what he was told.

The upgraded clutch will handle a greater amount of torque than the stock.

Can we get back to more important shit like how often to beat off in the shower so you don’t knock up your old lady again, or what’s the best deal on a vacuum?

MELK-MAN, backho and Motofun352 like this.
  4. 2Roger10

I understand it to a point, but I'm not an expert on clutches. I do know that going from 8 plates and fibers, to 13 plates and fibers gives you more surface area for the clutch to grab on, there for, your torque would increase, would it not?

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

The amount of torque a particular engine produces is static.

The amount of torque a particular engine component can HANDLE is what’s at question here.

The clutch you’re describing can most likely handle a greater amount of torque than a stock one can.

MELK-MAN and backho like this.
  6. 2Roger10

And yes you are correct, the clutch isn't creating the torque, its making the torque that your engine makes more useful to you.

Attached Files:

7. 2Roger10

Sounds right. Appreciate the info

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

No, and your profile says mechanical engineer?

Did lethal Rog put you up to this?

9. notbostrom

This thread is 26 days late

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

you pregnant? It can happen to men these days I hear.

TurboBlew, brex and pickled egg like this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no...

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Can all the mechanical engineers please post up their credentials now?
    Thanks

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

you should school my buddy with the latest rekluse in his 2023 KTM XC about that principal... he looped his bike today... three times against slimey root climbs. Now has to buy a new subframe and body work because he doesnt understand how an auto clutch works or what throttle control is.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. 2Roger10

Oooo, hope he's ok

15. 2Roger10

It doesn't say I'm a mechanical engineer. That would be a person that designs these clutches.
    I'm a manufacturing engineer, I work with them to prove out a process and/or procedures.

Two different things.

16. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

If they decide to make a clutch for a 2015+ R1 I’ll test it.

17. 2Roger10

Thank you, I'll let you know if they make one

buzz-06 likes this.
  18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I have the new 4.0 in my '23 Husky 501, best clutch they have made since the Z StartPro.. :)

19. notbostrom

How much more torque did you make

MELK-MAN and TurboBlew like this.
  20. TurboBlew

no doubt they make a nice clutch system... my buddy seems to think because he has the 4.0 that throttle control doesnt apply.
    Personally... if I went with a 4T platform a Rekluse would be 2nd on the list after the boingers were sorted.
    My buddy likes to put put around trails in the same gear constantly taunting the throttle so the Rekluse isnt doing him any favors on a 2T.

MELK-MAN likes this.