1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 998 basket case project

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Mar 18, 2019.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

So turns out that may not have been a great idea. The pressure of the clamps started to crack the bodywork. I'll try to adjust the brackets a bit more. If anyone is curious on keeping up with this project, I've started writing all my installments on MotoIQ.com.

https://motoiq.com/category/projects/powersports/ducati-998/

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I would shim out that lower mount a few mm so there is a tiny air gap between the fairing and the exhaust. Nice looking bike!

nlzmo400r likes this.
  3. nlzmo400r

Hard to believe 5 years have passed since I've updated this thread - everything ends up on Instagram these days instead. But here's a brief update/recap on this particular 'project' to get us up to 2024. I've ridden it probably 4-6 track weekends per year but only 2 or 3 race weekends unfortunately.

The 998 has been really good to me for the most part. But I started having an over charging issue. 998s came with a standard shunt type regulator that was most common in the late 90s through mid 2000s for bikes. The RR takes the AC voltage input from the stator and converts it to a constant DC voltage for all the electrical components on the bike to use. The stator puts out more voltage than necessary, so the regulator lets the remainder flow uselessly to ground. This generates heat. This is why regulators come with cooling fins and are usually mounted in an area with good airflow. This 998 was crashed at some point and some of the fins were broken off the regulator.
    upload_2024-4-24_22-14-55.png

upload_2024-4-24_22-15-33.png

Newer MOFSET type regulators (Metal Oxide Field Effect Transistor) work much more efficiently by being shielded from the main input current from the stator. This means they get MUCH less hot and are more reliable. Mount it in a good location with decent airflow and it should last almost forever. This one came from a late model Triumph - I bought it used on ebay. It now resides just behind this air vent on the lower part of the fairing. Works as designed now.

upload_2024-4-24_22-17-5.png

Next issue to tackle was my clutch started needing constant bleeding. After some basic checking for leaks etc, I came to the determination that the original 22yr old master cylinder probably needs rebuilding. upload_2024-4-24_22-17-49.jpeg
    Great excuse to buy a new RCS. The original unit has a 12mm piston and the RCS has 17mm. This changes the hydraulic ratio a lot and would make the lever much more difficult to pull. The RCS offers an adjustable pivot though (16mm or 18mm, OEM is 20mm). By moving the pivot inward 2mm, the lever pull effort is reduced quite a bit and means you can use something modern with a good radial design than rebuilding a 22yr old axial type unit.
    upload_2024-4-24_22-19-1.png

Here's a couple pics from 2023 next to my 'new' 675. I ended up buying a 2015 675R from a buddy and parting out my 2007. I've built this one up a bit too - Ti exhaust, aluminum subframes, OZ wheels etc - It's rad. I'll maybe start a new thread for the Triumph dorks.

upload_2024-4-24_22-25-2.png
    upload_2024-4-24_22-25-40.png
    upload_2024-4-24_22-26-40.png

TSAVO5150, motion and rd400racer like this.
  4. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

That bike couldn't possibly be better looking. I love love love the 916/998 era bikes.

scottn and rd400racer like this.
  5. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

This is a great thread. Thanks for bumping it.

I did the same regulator update to my 848 this winter. https://roadstercycle.com/ packages a new regulator and wiring adapter for about $150.

I was curious how hot the original was running. Track bikes are the worst for that style because most of the loads are removed. Letting it sit in open air (so not connected to the shield), 200F! The new one barely goes over ambient.

6. nlzmo400r

They are sorta universally loved at this point. I always have people come up and look at it a bit or make a comment about how pretty it is when out at trackdays/races.
    The regulator upgrade is kind of a must for these. I don't know how hot the original was, I never measured, but it was hot enough that you couldn't leave your hand on the fins for more than a few seconds after riding it. The new one, as you said, is basically ambient after the same conditions.

Roadster cycle makes a great kit - I just typically grab these off ebay and do my own wiring. Oddly they're so popular now that most of the 'new' ones being sold are actually chinese knockoff stuff, not Shindengen made. I just did the same upgrade to my 1198 about 6 months ago.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  7. nlzmo400r

Some may notice in those 2023 pics above, the wheels and swingarm are black. Because I have an addition, I bought this pile of old crap one day and started a new phase of the bike regarding chassis setup
    upload_2024-4-25_9-25-57.png
    Bought some magnesium Marchesinis - 16.5", Marvic extended magnesium swingarm and associated linkage and some other random bits that I figured I should scoop at the prices offered.

The paint on the wheels was in truly terrible shape and to be honest didn't look good against the gray 998 frame. Ultimately I'd love to have the frame painted/powdercoated in the traditional champagne color, but for now I stripped the wheels and decided to do satin black.
    upload_2024-4-25_9-33-11.png upload_2024-4-25_9-33-38.png
    Stripped and primered with a zinc primer

upload_2024-4-25_9-49-52.png
    Fresh coats of satin black

upload_2024-4-25_9-51-1.png
    180/60 on stock 17x5.5 vs 190/65/420 on 16.5x6". OD is very similar, but the profile is quite different

upload_2024-4-25_9-52-5.png

Now because the new swingarm is longer and the rear link rate is different, it requires a shorter ride height adjustment rod to get back to the 'correct' swingarm angle. With the rear hub almost all the way rearward in the eccentric, I adjust the ride height rod to get about 11 degrees of swingarm angle. This results in about 23.8* rake; 102.5mm calculated trail.
    upload_2024-4-25_9-55-56.png
    upload_2024-4-25_9-57-8.png
    upload_2024-4-25_9-58-2.png

I've gotta say this setup had the bike handling amazingly. It's so surprising to me still that a bike of this age/design handles so well. It's so smooth and flowing and stable. I never say 'uncrashable', but sometimes, tell you what, it kinda feels that way. Sorry for the 'proof' photo - the actual images from the photographer are far too large to upload
    upload_2024-4-25_10-1-52.jpeg

8. nlzmo400r

And this is how she basically sits today. My stomp grips gave up - even had them send me a second set and they never lasted despite cleaning the tank with alcohol etc. I eventually bought some of this stick on rubber skateboard tape and it's the best thing ever, but only comes in solid colors
    upload_2024-4-25_10-7-54.jpeg

Because I now have 3 bikes in this little garage, I decided to make some space by allowing the bikes to be moved around easily. I saw someone on youtube with a beautiful collection of like 20 bikes and had this setup - so I stole the idea. It's harbor freight dollys, sidestand plate removed, and then some chocks bolted to them. Holds the bikes incredibly securely and it's easy to move them around to get to things in the back of the garage. Costs about $80-100 to make one if you find used dollies on FB. Now one bike lives on the lift, and the other two stay in dollies.

upload_2024-4-25_10-12-50.png

YamahaRick, scottn, MrGooch and 2 others like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Droolworthy.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Wait, 16.5in slicks are still available?!

11. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

That's Ray916 on ducati.ms. His collection is amazing.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. nlzmo400r

Beyond amazing, especially in a relatively small space. It's like a tiny Barber Motorsports Park museum lol. I feel bad about how seldom I get to ride the few that I have. So much so that it kinda keeps me from adding other bikes I want.

Yes, there's one US distributor who gets Pirelli to make a batch of like 100 sets or so a year. I buy a couple sets a year and always make sure I have a spare or two. They only come in SC1, but beggars can't be choosers.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If only they were Dunlops... Buell magnesium XBRR wheels are DAMN hard to find, and many do not want to let go of them, which makes sense. There were some 16.5in sets made as well that people aren't as interested in, because no tires. Unfortunately, I'm brand locked 'cause MotoA so... this glimmer of hope is no good for me but may be for others.

14. nlzmo400r

I'll say there's not a big performance advantage to be had. I came across a deal and was already buying numerous things from this guy dismantling an old 996RS. They sure do look cool though. Gives it that proper 'fat rear tire' look of SBKs of the day.

15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Is the bike strapped down to the dolly? How is it holding the bike up?

16. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Beautiful machine! I'm still trying to wrap my head around this thread being from 5 years ago. I remember reading it...seems like last year :eek:

17. nlzmo400r

The older we get, the faster time goes by. It's a real shame. I'm always shocked to see pics of my kids thinking 'that was a few months ago', nope; 2021 lol .

It's not strapped at all. It's just held in place by the chock. It's extremely tight. If anything it's difficult to adjust once the bike is in there, so you've gotta make sure it's perfectly straight up and down when you roll it in. My kids climb on them constantly now and they never give me concern.

I couldn't push the bike over if I tried, if anything, the entire tray would tip probably. Short answer though, no need for straps.

18. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Which chock is that?

19. repoe3

repoe3 Active Member

20. nlzmo400r

I think repoe3 is right, it does look exactly like that one. I bought them from ebay for about $50 each. It's imperative to get that size, because a lot of others that look very similar are a few inches wider and won't fit within the dolly sides.

The only modifications you have to make are to not use the lower flat bars and to cut the lock pins down so it fits between the dolly sides. Or I suppose you could drill holes in the dolly sides so the lock pins could slid all the way though.

thrak410 likes this.