1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog Training Collar

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thought this had been covered but no luck with a search so what the hell.

Got a 3 yo rescue that is loving his pyrenees half and barking his ass off at anything and everything. Great dog, listens inside but not out. Knows basic commands and follows them - again inside.

What I'm looking at isn't a bark collar, I want him to do his thing when necessary but I want to get his attention from a distance. Also want it to be enough he will stop and listen to me rather than stay all excited at whatever got him going.

So basically looking for experience with different kinds of training collars vs a sound or vibration activated bark collar. Not sure if I need something more than vibration but kind of think being able to do a minor shock might be worth getting. Dunno hence the thread.

Sadly the big shit doesn't like treats enough for that to be effective at all.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I have had success with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCFKDK13/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I currently have two dogs, one was treat/food motivated and the other is pure prey driven; doesn't care about treats either. I like that I can toggle between the two collars to get their attention (which doesn't seem required in your case; I'm sure there are single versions available). The vibrate and beep functions are usually plenty to break whatever has their attention that isn't me. We spend a lot of time in the woods off leash and it works great. The shock setting goes to 100, but I've never had it above 10 and I've only used it a handful of times. 10 is enough to get their attention, but not cause them to yelp, which was important to me. 95% of the time, just the beep is all I needed. They're well trained to voice commands now, but I've found the beep to still be more preferable to yelling commands if they're running around and I need to recall them so I still use it depending on where we're hiking.

Package came with short and long terminals (depending on fur length) and conductive silicone covers so they aren't getting jabbed. They don't shy or wince away from the collars when I'm putting them on, which I interpret to mean they don't associate them with pain or discomfort.

Motofun352 likes this.
  3. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Who else thinks this is actually Evelyn looking for a training collar?

Once a Wanker.. and dtalbott like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

She doesn't need one, I respond to treats very well. :D

beac83, dtalbott and Hyperdyne like this.
  5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We had 2, daughter has them now, don't remember the brand but they worked good. Had the long and short terminals, 7 different power levels and a tone button. I used them to teach various Labs to stay out of the road.
    Have to be careful with 2 of the same though, you can accidentally zap the wrong dog. Ask me how I know. :oops:
    And you need to turn them down when the dog is wet.

I'd always turn them down to low and zap myself across my fingers to make sure they were working before I put them on. My wife can't do it, every time she'd press the button she pulls her hand away. :crackup:
    And a couple times I forgot to turn it down and lit myself up.

ToofPic and dtalbott like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Mixed results with the collars. If the dog is smart, they'll follow instruction/commands while wearing the collar, and you're back to square one when they realize the collar is off

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's definitely smart, I'm hoping that this leads to him realizing when I call him I'm not joking and he should listen... All the others have been fine but I've been able to work with them since they were puppies.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

this is what i used. was also what was recommended from some police officers that work with K9's

https://a.co/d/5OVZtBB

12. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

100 levels of sensitivity, 1/2 mile range. There's a 2 dog version if you have more than one dog.

You'll want the larger contact wing due to thick coat. Have it sit on either side of the trachea. Alternate sides if you leave it on for longer than 8-12 hours.

Start with a short leash, gently tug to change direction and then give it a name. As the dog learns to turn on command without leash pressure with the short leash, graduate to longer leash. Rinse and repeat. Once he recalls well on long leash without a leash tug, add the collar with the long leash. Start on a low setting(5-10) and go up in small increments until he starts to feel it but not overreact to it. Walk, issue command, button. Repeat until he gets it. On a 200yd walk make recall them 15-20x. Two 15 minute sessions a day over 4-6 weeks and you'll get there. From there it'll just be upkeep.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i also have one of these. works good. my dog listens well, but he's super reactive to birds, squirrels, bees, deer, dogs, cars, bikes, trucks, foxes, rabbits, butterflies, windshield wipers, cicadas, everything... so it helps refocus him. plus we let him run free at this farm all the time so its good for call back. the one we have has 21 settings (3 levels of 7 each) and generally our guy is on 1-3 of 21. tried it on ourselves, it doesn't hurt, but it gets his attention for sure.

cpettit likes this.
  15. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Whatever you get, check prong depth, and thickness of the dogs fur for settings. I had a German Shepard that wasn't having any of it.No collar,or underground fence stopped him. He would burn his neck running through the shock zones.I shaved his neck down,and eventually gave up and built chain link fence..And later had my neighbors poison him 144739308_450801916105438_5608529641576388093_n.jpg

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If you need help digging a hole for the neighbor, just holler. :mad:

chickenpants and ToofPic like this.
  17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Their kids tried to ride him like a horse.I tried to tell them,he wasnt ok with it.My dog eventually bit one of the little shits.While I was on a run to Fla.They poisoned him,and he bled out on our front porch.My son spent all night digging a hole to bury him.Trust me I havent forgotten them.They are meth heads and I don't forget

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Ah man that is horrible. Did that happen where you live now? I'm impressed you were able to control yourself and not retaliate.

ToofPic likes this.
  19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

We’ve had great luck with our recent dog with the Doggie Don’t Device.

https://www.amazon.com/Doggie-Dont-...tIyz3uQv6C-5ohPG1lWnV2r_axgKrqocaAvBeEALw_wcB

It makes a noise that kinda sounds like a taser. It stops dogs in their tracks. Ours comes running to us when we use it. My wife saw our trainer friend use it to break up a pitbull fight. We have a poodle mix and we used it to stop his random barking and other annoying outdoor behaviors. It’s very easy since you just keep it in your pocket. No collars to keep track of, charge, etc.

I’m not against shock collars though. When I did schutzhund we all used them.

20. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Count me in, too. I hope karma serves up a nice portion of strychnine for them. Bastards!

ToofPic likes this.