1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is going to screw up traffic

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Mar 26, 2024.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Wow! I just looked at Edenville, Mi on Google Earth. Holy shit!

tony 340 likes this.
  2. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Just looked at the cargo ship map and there a several ships that seem like they are stuck in port for a while.
    What do yall think will happen with them? Just move the crew somewhere else?
    Kind of mini mothball the boats for a while?

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Get on a plane and fly home.....fly back when the ships can be released from the harbor.

backbone likes this.
  4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

That's great if they don't sink within a year or two.

Shaft seals leak and pumps require power.

The coasties and their beloved regulations........many of the Laker freighters have become barges nowadays with tugs they notch into the back of what used to be a ship.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I don’t see the channel being closed more than 4 months and probably less than that. Rebuilding the bridge will be well over a year.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

yeah, kinda weird not seeing it over there anymore. wonder how long before recreational shit will get by. fleet week scheduled for June. just guessing that's not gonna happen. took this last year moving a buddy's boat from the hard to canton. This was inbound. They hit the pier on the left. Flood tide happening when they were leaving and that easterly probably blew them around some. its definitely hard to explain just how fucking big that thing was. . 185ft of clearance. the pilots office is right down the street. I've seen those guys leave from the water taxi launch a million times for waterfront park. I've always wanted to stop and chat with one of them. 1000008235.jpeg

Razr likes this.
  7. joec

joec brace yourself

bautista.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

9. joec

joec brace yourself

it also fairly narrow through there when you have a big boat coming or leaving. they have very limited visibility over the bow. they want your ass waaaay out of the way while underway. having dedge barges and construction barges etc there could be a problem too.. then toss in recreationl assholes. people fishing around the channel etc . ugh. but they will have to clear everything, re dredge, then USCG will have to do a survey for depths mapping etc. I bet its a few weeks before they even get the boat moved. and there's probably almost a mile of super structure and roadway under there and I bet lots of it is stuck in 20 feet of silt. anyway, here's one of the boys fishing the edge of the channel a few years back. right in front of the pier they hit. all of that steel superstructure is in the water or laying across the bow of the boat. I think they're also going to have to have a real good look at the caisons too. my guess is they will use what's there if they can, if its too destroyed then all bets are off as to what will replace the old bridge and if they change it they'll have to demo what's left too or build adjacent to it. back when it was built, we didn't have the port we do now. it would be way smarter to take advantage and really dredge the area and maybe build a tunnel this time. lol. but they would also need to find a place to put all of the dredge material if they go that route. it is nuts how shallow it all is up through craighill channel. I'd be surprised if a new crossing is done before 2030. I think the port will be open before end of summer. but I really have no clue.

1000008261.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    ToofPic and tl1098 like this.
  10. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

On top of all that, there's over 600 tons of hazardous waste on board, and something is leaking

Plus, the bridge hitting the ship shifted the load into a precarious position.

That's a lot of issues to resolve

stk0308 likes this.
  11. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I used to do a lot of sailing in the waters inside and outside of the bridge. As crazy as it seems, it’s tricky AF getting through that big ass wide opening under the span. Seems easy enough, all you gotta do is plan a tack so you won’t be too close to a pylon and also not out in the middle of the shipping lane, and also avoid barges, tugs, anchored fishing boats, other pleasure craft. So you got it all planned and set up based on wind and currents, then all of the sudden when you get within 100 yds of that damn bridge, the wind starts doing weird shift—it shifts, it dies, then picks up. And the currents do weird stuff too. You’ll be halfway through and lose all ability to steer.

Some real pucker inducing shit!

I almost slammed into that very pylon the ship took out. Those
    are massive and would jack up a 30’ fiberglass sailboat. It was shocking to see it explode like it did when the ship plowed into it.

joec and tl1098 like this.
  12. joec

joec brace yourself

you should come out this summer and shoehorn yourself onto a sunfish with us. we sail out of rocky point a lot and crash around the islands. I have plenty of them. the good thing is its usually a southerly so probably on a gybe on the way in. I'm better upwind usually. but yeah, you're absolutely right. its surpisingly pretty busy through there. the channel makes for some weird wake and chop too. and the bigger the sailboat the harder it is. last time I went under there under full sail was in a centercockpit s2 but that was years ago. and if its windy you always run the risk of having someones bed liner blow out and hit you from the deck. lol. :) I'll try and make next Thursday.

13. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Update - 764 tons of hazardous waste

The Navy is moving 3 salvage vessels into place, under the supervision of their top salvage guy. They'll start with the debris in the river

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Just heard on the radio those big barge cranes will be there late tonight, coming from NJ.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

16. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Yeah scratch the channel opening date I threw out yesterday. The hazardous material spillage changes everything.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Historically haz waste is not normally transported by ship here

Rail, yes.

That's not to say it had product that has now become a haz waste

Seems odd

18. ChemGuy

Everyone gets all antsy when they say Haz....Hazardous.....Dangerous...etc

OMG Becky...dont touch that. You'll turn into the Toxic Avenger!!

Most of that is classified like due to being flammable or semi reactive. We ship 1 product that is an amine catalyst used in urethane reactions. Its an industry standard product used for decades. Its pretty inert and pretty non-toxic, the LD 50 in rats is ~ 1700mg/kg. So you'd have to eat a lot to die. It has to ship as Hazardous as its a flammable solid. If we made a dilution in Japan and shipped its non-haz.

Other products we ship here are a liquid amines. Now you dont want bath in these. And the only way they might hurt you in small doses is if they get splashed in your yes, that would feel good. But they are labeled as corrosive, because they are...somewhat. But if you stick your arm in them it wont get eaten off.

Odds are most of the stuff the media will freak out about is ordinary chemicals (household and industrial), batteries, flammable stuff, etc. Not some glow in the dark, eat your arm off, turn you into the Joker chemical shit. But they and the guys sent to move the ship or secure the containers will still freak out about it and spend a ton of extra money and time.

Jed and brex like this.
  19. ChemGuy

It wasnt hazardous waste. It was containers marked as hazardous based on the class of material/chemicals inside. Things like explosives, corrosives, flammable liquids or solids, oxidizers, compressed gasses etc. Certain chemicals have to be marked and shipped as Hazardous so in case something like this happens people know to be a little extra careful with them. Also to keep things that dont react well with each other away from each other.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sorry, that was not the case.

If the Dungeon was open I could post links to more than enough information
    to show that it is highly unlikely that this was an accident. It is actually much
    more difficult to explain it away as an accident. There is a lot of video of the
    whole incident. One of those videos taken from the right perspective shows
    the ship proceeding on a course that is well away from the bridge support.

Suddenly, all power on the ship goes out. Now, a ship that size is difficult to
    turn, it's not something you can do in a short amount of time. If it loses all
    power, there are no steering inputs available so it will just continue in the
    same direction. The power comes back on and the ship immediately makes
    a hard turn to starboard while at the same time we see the stacks, which
    were previously showing minimal smoke at best, suddenly begin belching
    massive amounts of black smoke. We see the lights once again go out briefly
    while the ship continues to turn, essentially making a 90 degree turn to
    starboard in a very short time, lining it up perfectly to hit the bridge. It
    even makes a slight correction towards port just before the collision,
    possibly due to the port anchor being dropped.

Now, these ships have sophisticated and redundant systems and black boxes
    very similar to planes. The black boxes are not reliant on the ship for power.
    It would be quite easy to check to see what steering and engine inputs were
    made during the time the ship made a hard turn. Just bad luck, though, the black
    box that records that data stopped recording everything except the bridge commands
    for just a few minutes, those few minutes being the time when the ship made
    its sudden turn. How convenient. According to a press conference made just hours
    after the collision, the NTSB stated that they had boarded the ship in search of
    devices that may have recorded what went on but couldn't find any. Two days later
    the NTSB announced that they had somehow located the elusive black box meant
    to record control inputs and the bridge commands but somehow the control inputs
    information was missing from the black box (but not the verbal commands).

If Mongo wants to give me permission I will be glad to point you to a site where
    you can see the video for yourself. It's a political site so I'm not going to just
    post it. After all, I'm not tzrider.

Not when you consider the purpose of that bridge. It was built specifically to transport
    hazardous cargo over the river, cargo that cannot use the tunnels. Loss of the bridge
    makes it far more difficult to move those loads in an east-west direction.