1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on enclosed trailer set-up

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I have an interesting dilemma right now for 2 separate enclosed trailers that Im looking to buy.

So I just started doing some supermoto and roadracing/trackdays after a very long hiatus to raise some kids.
    3 kids are out of the house currently, 1 more leaves home to live with his sister in July. Youngest is going off to a school in Geneva for a year and my wife might take a job offered by the school.

I am disappearing for nearly the entire time.

The plan is to almost never be home for more than a few days. Going to ride every track I've always wanted to. Hit up every possible mt biking trail. Fishing, Hiking, off roading trails, musems, historical places etc.

I'm looking at a 6x12 dual axle to tow behind my Jeep Rubicon with 2 motorcycles and 2 bicycles, generator, tools 2A stuff for 3 gun competitions, hiking and camping gear. Just for areas around AZ, Utah, Colorado.

And then I'm looking at an 8x16 to haul 4 bikes and 3 bicycles and all other mentioned stuff plus a kayak, paddle board and 2 surfboards for extended trips towing behing a Thor Omni C class RV.

I keep taping off areas in my warehouse with measurements and eyeballing the layouts of said bikes and gear.

motion likes this.
  2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

So what's the dilemna?

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  3. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

What @gapman789 asked !

Bigger is always better !

Close thread :moon:

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I more concerned with the cramming two bikes and gear in a 6x12 so i don't overtax the capabilities of the Rubicon.

Picture this scenario:

There's a roadracing event at Las Vegas or Utah. I pack the R1 and I bring a KTM 690R and a mt bike. Get up there a few days early to get in some biking/hiking. Hit up the event and then stay a few more days after to get in some kayaking/Paddleboarding before heading back to Sedona.

I rather have two separate trailers. 6x12 for the jeep seems like the maximum for its towing capacity. Figuring out the weights amd dimensions of everything right now.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yeah, having towed my 6x10 with a nice light Buell and race program from Maine to Texas and back with a 4xE Rubi, I wouldn't go much bigger than that 6x12. When not in a draft of a semi there was some impressive downshift action to hold 70, particularly in hilly country.

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Sell the Rubicon and get a proper truck and the 8x16. I would never tow an 8x16 with a Jeep. Ever.

gapman789 and cav115 like this.
  7. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

as a gladiator owner with a 5x8... 100% agree. also to mention that i live in utah and these "hills" are brutal on your tow rating. supposedly my truck will tow 7500.. maybe in florida with a tailwind.

8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

If you think you need a 7x14, get the 7x16

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I just picked up a 7x16 V Nose. Honestly, it's probably the perfect size. I thought about 20', but when I look at the potential of selling it, there's way more market a 16' vs a 20ft. At least here that is.

With the 14', even with the V nose, I just needed a little more room to make everything fit and be able to move around comfortably when I camp.

10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Yea, sell that stupid jeep. j/k, not really. Get an RV, 7x16x7 v-nose and call it a day....Haul everything in one trailer. Camp/sleep/take a crap/make coffee/shower, where ever you want. etc.

An 8-8.5' wide trailer is a big ol shoe box being towed. I had an 8.5' x 20' briefly, and hated it. Just too wide to comfortably tow IMO. (and i tow shit daily, CDL holder, etc)

Here's my 7x16x7 v-nose. 3 full size racers and a 125cc pitbike (street legal) to give you an idea of what fits

trailer tire rack.jpg

11. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Anyone seen the drill battery (DeWalt/Milwaukee) adapters, set up to a bunch of LED lights? I saw a kit one time and now I can't remember who made or where to buy, but it was a slick system to toss a battery in and have lights on an enclosed trailer.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Its a bit long winded, but I believe this will let you know what you need.

socalrider and itsrichierich like this.
  13. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Anyone know why they put that thin strip of like paneling along the center section the the roof framing and roof sheeting?
    What is the purpose?
    Sound deadening from the metal frame and sheeting slapping around?