1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch info

Discussion in 'General' started by 2Roger10, Feb 20, 2024.

1. 2Roger10

2Roger10 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Looking for some info on how quick the R6, GSXR 600, 636, etc. chews up a clutch pack. Are you guys using OEM plates, fibers and springs for replacements? How many times through a season are you doing a freshen up on your clutch?
    Rekluse Clutch has built some test clutches for me, and we've proven out the GSXR 600 in the N2 endurance series, and it has been bullet proof to this point. But I don't have any data, other than hearing from a few of you at the track, that would support them digging into this market any further with other makes/models, so I thought I'd reach out here and see what you guys have to say.
    Thanks for your input!

2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I usually only do a new clutch build when I do the motor. 2017 R6.

3. 2Roger10

Thank you

4. 2Roger10

Once a year? How many practices/track days/races do you run? Ballpark number?

5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Bought this bike used in April 2023, was already a track bike. Havent touched the motor yet (coming in April), and have 3 race weekends at two tracks, 8 track days on it. I will replace the clutch when the motor is done. Trackdays dont test the clutch like a race start does. dunno.

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I get the shittest starts of all time, which probably explains why I'm on the clutch-a-season program. Can't launch a bike to save my life. I just call them "clutch conserving starts"

TurboBlew and BrentA like this.
  7. 2Roger10

:crackup:

What kind of bike are you running?

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

On a R6. Saw you guys getting them to branch out into the road racing world, which is cool. I've never ran anything but OEM but curious how they'd hold up to the standard R6 clutch mods (cut springs and whatnot).

9. 2Roger10

Nice, they just got me an R6 to test. We'll be putting it in a bike right after Daytona.
    They did go from a 8 steel/fiber OEM stack up (I think that's what OEM was), to 13 plates/fibers.
    If it's anything like what they built for the GSXR, it will perform really well. The thing has been bullet proof.
    Base numbers off of their calculations is up 21% over stock torque capacity and 10% down on lever pull over stock.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Those are some pretty eye opening numbers, not insignificant by any means.

11. 2Roger10

Yes they are.

Just so you know, when I say the GSXR Clutch has been bullet proof. We ran a full endurance season, plus practice, track days. And we'll be starting this season with the same clutch pack. Still looks great!

dobr24 likes this.
  12. 2Roger10

13. 2Roger10

Anyone have an R3 that can run a Rekluse clutch for me and get me some feedback?

I'll be in Daytona later today, if you're interested in it, and would like to stop by and check it out. I'll have it there.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

15. 2Roger10

?

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I can smoke a clutch for R&D purposes... love the 2 bikes I own that have Rekluse 3.0s. The 4.0 version is even better.
    Stack height and heavier springs are how I get my stock clutches to last multiple peak tork launches. Also a good engine.oil.
    Most modern bikes have slippers so you get wear both ways. The drag race/LSR folks pull the slipper portion so they dont fight the thing while pulling 1.4s or faster short times.

17. 2Roger10

Rekluse builds some very impressive equipment.

And their oil is great too!

18. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yep everything Rekluse makes is top notch and the performance is incredible. For the guys that don't run the off road stuff, they run thinner steels and fibers so they can stack more plates in the pack. It's to the point that when I get a new dirt bike I don't even ride it before I put a Rekluse in the bike. Customer service is exemplary as well.

19. 2Roger10

We tested the Rekluse R6 clutch during the MotoAmerica R Atlanta round. It worked perfect. Huge increase in torque. If anyone is in need of a new clutch pack, feel free to reach out.
    Also looking for someone with an R3 to test one.

Thanks all.

duc995 likes this.
  20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

raced a pair of 08 r6's for years (like up till 3 yrs ago that i bought from Rob Jensen and Josh Day in 2009).. 5 or more sprint races a weekened plus practices and often a track day before those days. Clutch would last a long time. little less time when we switched to Suter clutch as it slips more and easier, but still used OEM fiber/metals. sometimes we had "twin sprint" weekends and that was 10 or 11 race starts a weekend.. used silkolene synth 10/40 oil and would change every other weekend in most cases (2 bikes, superbike rode more as only was racing ss bike in 2 races + the ASRA pro supersport race on the few of those i did a year).
    if someone is having to change a clutch pack out every few weekends, something is wrong mechanically (starting with too short of stack height so slipping, need thicker optional metal plate) , or they are slipping way to much with too high rpm on starts?