1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Short of an optic, is fiber optic a good way to go for bad eyes? I struggle to focus on the front sight if lighting isn't good.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Funny you ask. I just had an optometrist appointment this week. I'm in bifocals...the lower part of my glasses is great for reading...the top great for distance...but at arms length, the sights are not clear. I tried the reverse bifocals someone here recommended, but the angle was awkward for me. Anyway, I discussed it with my Dr. and we are going to try a set of single vision glasses with reader/magnifiers that should be clear for arms length distance so I can shoot with irons. My C2 has iron sights (not Optics ready), my XC and P and a few others have red dots on them. We're using a frame I already have with new lenses cut for them. Staccato machine's their slides for a Delta Point Pro footprint, so I go with those rather than spend another $100+ for their optics adapter kits..and I like them a lot..so it works well.

I'll go to the range this weekend and report back on how this experiment works or doesn't.

My CZ 75 P01 is at Cajun Gun Works now getting Dawson Precsion sights on it as part of the work order I requested. The OEM sights are kind of on the dull side and for me with the lighting at the indoor range I go to, very hard to see for whatever reason. I need brighter sights.

Curious...."Short of an optic" makes me interpret that you're anti-optic....can I ask why? Took me a little while to get used to the idea, but I've surrendered to the Red Dot Gods because at this point, with my eyes not getting any better as I get older...they just work.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  3. groundhogday

Not necessarily anti-optic. My P07 is my only handgun at this point. I don't want the downtime and expense of sending it out to be cut for an optic. Long term I'll probably be looking into something as more of a range toy that doesn't have to double as my carry gun and it'll likely have a red dot.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Man, I have the same issue....I can see clear as day a mile away...Anything small print/up close and dim light and I struggle. Got my 1x readers for reading construction blueprints daily but makes everything blurry beyond the front sight on the gun.

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I went onto the Canik website last night to look for a threaded barrel for my Mete. They have a new pistol coming soon called the TTI Combat that looks pretty good. I'm curios what the price will be. https://www.canikusa.com/tti-combat

assjuice cyrus and StaccatoFan like this.
  6. StaccatoFan

About $1000 based on the information from YouTube at Shot Show 2024. I just got rid of my Rival.

wsmc42 likes this.
  7. StaccatoFan

Well if you get something else, you could just send the slide to Cajun. They will mill it to any optic footprint you want I believe.

But I understand your points. And I hear good things about the P07.

groundhogday likes this.
  8. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

My TTI should be here in April hopefully.

wsmc42 and StaccatoFan like this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Damn... complete AR lower with Franklin binary trigger installed $349 at PSA- GET ONE! Lowest price I've seen.

10. groundhogday

I've got a pair of progressive bifocal safety glasses. I'm gonna try those next time I go to the range. There's a progressive change from the far to near section of the lens. I'll report back on how it works out.

gapman789 likes this.
  11. gapman789

Can you turn the binary trigger off/on?

12. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Most I’ve seen are just another notch on safety. Safe, fire, binary.

13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

It’s a separate position just like a safety. The trigger alone usually goes on sale for over $300 so there’s no reason not to get one! I got the same deal months ago and haven’t put an upper on it yet. But I HAD to have it!

14. gapman789

Great, just what I didn't need to hear.

I'm guessin' you can't put that PSA lower on say a 10.5" upper with a pistol brace? That lower is sent and documented as a rifle ?

Also, the gold straight triggered lower is an extra $50 at $399....Is that worth it?

15. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

You got a lot going on in that post. The Franklin Armory binary equipped lower is a rifle lower. Be careful what length upper you put on it or you just built a SBR. I've never cared for pistol braces on the AR platform so I say leave it a rifle and put whatever length upper you want. Just be aware of your surroundings without a tax stamp...

16. gapman789

Reading the PSA comments on the question 'is the lower a rifle or pistol', it's mixed answers....Some say what you said, others say the FFL will list it as 'other' and then you make it whatever you want, in a 'legal' configuration.

"Would be considered an 'other' on the FFL form. You can add either a rifle or pistol length upper in any caliber.. (hence the 'multi' caliber on the receiver). You would need to remove the butt stock for pistol use. You can swap back and forth at any time just make sure your configuration meets legal rules. 16" min length for rifle.. anything shorter would be considered a pistol and the butt stock would need to be removed. Check your local laws for the binary trigger which makes this lower a smokin' deal."

and...

"It is just a reciever, you decide the final configuration. It will transfer as other/receiver."

and....

" Since the lower has never had an upper receiver attached it is neither a rifle or pistol and can be configured as either one."

17. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I haven't done as much research as some of the guys that post in this thread but the stock attached to the buffer tube makes it a rifle in my eyes.

18. gapman789

Yup, i get that. So with a 10.5" 300 blackout upper, no vertical grip, and a pistol brace, and now I have a pistol.

I'll do more research for sure.

I have a 16" AR in 556, so I've been looking at getting an AR pistol in 300 blackout. For no reason other than I just want to experience the different 'flavors' and expand my firearm horizons. Albeit expensive horizons.

Not sure If this binary trigger equipped lower is compatible with 300 blackout?
    The PSA listing says "5.56".

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The lower will work as intended (binary trigger) for whichever cartridges are placed through the upper (5.56 or 300blackout).

You *may* have to make adjustments to the buffer / buffer spring, and possibly the gas tube (maybe an adjustable gas block) in order to make it work across the 3 types of ammo; 5.56 is different than 300Blackout Super Sonic, which is different from 300Blackout subsonic.
    55gr - 75gr @ 3200fps
    125gr Super @ 2200fps
    220gr Sub @ 1030fps

gapman789 likes this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

JFC....these sell out fast on sale, so buy now and ask questions later