1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portimao Testing

Discussion in 'General' started by KneeDragger_c69, Jan 29, 2024.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Rossi owns Italy. He can do whatever he wants. And Spain too.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Since Moto 2 & 3 switched if may be an opportunity for peeps from the MotoGP paddock to checkbout my old boss and coworkers before the season starts?

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It means little but Franco ended 3rd fastest GP rider..... Maybe there's hope for a comeback(?)

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

rossi is riding a 3yr old street bike given to him by yamaha - i think he is there on his own accord, why not? fun day cruising around and the guy loves a race track! imagine being retired and out for a cruise on a street bike, not wsbk spec and being ony 4sec off lol.

6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Blows my mind that a street bike can be within 4 seconds of a half million dollar WSBK factory bike.

Wheel Bearing, 5axis and gixer1100 like this.
  8. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

3-4 years ago when Redding was with Factory Ducati he tested the new STOCK Pani V4 and was 1.8sec/lap off the WSBK pole time.

Vale being 4.8 seconds off the pace on a VERY well prepped R1 - IMO not even remotely impressive. Thats like 2 seconds/lap slower that WSS 600's run around that place.

BUT - he was out for a fun day so honestly who cares.....

gixer1100 likes this.
  9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I dunno....given an age handicap, nothing to prove (ie don't crash) and the fact that he is how many years out of the loop? 4 seconds is pretty good

BigBird and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  10. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Or we could all look at it as Rossi, one second off 5 amazing MotoGp riders out for a track day jolly. I'd say the old dog can still ride a bike pretty damn fast. Those are some big names on the bottom of that list. Be interesting to see Marc's time?

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You're also forgetting the difference in what tires they were on

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Do we know what tires Vale is on?

13. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Pilot Power slicks for all the GP guys on their skreet bikes.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He's most likely just training. Just like Zarco used to drive around France and Spain with a Panigale in the back of a van to get some track time. We've also seen Pecco and others do it, maybe a little less often than Zarco. If they only ride MotoGP bikes, they almost get no opportunities to practice outside of races.

One might argue that it makes more sense than training exclusively on dirt bikes.

15. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

imagine setting up your pit for a track day next to zarco in a van lol.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

One year out at Adams kart track, we were running and Nicky, Roger and Tommy were all out there about 2o feet away. Nicky and Roger were friendly, Tommy didn't say anything.

gixer1100 likes this.
  17. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

were you on mini bikes? pretty small track lol. at one point i lived close enough to hear the action at adams...now i am close enough to hear Cali speedway - when there was bikes on track...its pretty sad driving by it now. nothing left of it.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

They were on 450 Supermoto's and Ty would have probably been on a NSR50 or possibly a RS chassis with a 65/85/150 engine, depending on which year it happened. Around 08-10.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Reported that he had a bad crash and caused a red flag, but no serious injury

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Thx
    That explains it