1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portimao Testing

Discussion in 'General' started by KneeDragger_c69, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

He's got 9 reasons to not give a fuck

Wonder how many members here on the board could match his current pace :Poke:

Dragginass, R1M370, ducnut and 4 others like this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

A current factory racer testing a brand-new factory effort bike is a completely different story than a retired guy that hasn't raced in years out for some grins riding an old track-day bike.
    If anything, guys like Giannantonio, Bastianini, Bezzecchi and Morbidelli should be flat embarrassed that they could barely eke out a second over a washed-up nobody on an old bike with their brand-new fully prepped Panigale S bikes.

But the fact of the matter is that all the non-WSBK guys were just there for seat time and giggles at a track day. None of them looking to set the fastest time of the test, but staying out of the way of the guys that were.

3. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

the apples to apples comparison isn't 46 to the WSBK guys, but 46 to the motogp guys... i'd say if you group them that way, 46 didn't do too bad.

brex and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  4. Wheel Bearing

100%

brex and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

lmao - i was listening to you guys - do doubt - thats the years i lived there lol

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Rossi's bike is a GYT-R prepped (full build) current Gen R1 and he had full support in the pits while there- I've seen many video clips of him debriefing in the pits, crew making adjustments, etc... "older bike" lololol... please....

...and by brand new fully prepped you know that means they were all street bikes NOT built other than maybe bodywork and maybe a couple bolt-ons like lever guards or a better MC for the brakes.

As for old and washed up - seems like the other "old" guy there - Guintoli, was roughly 3+ seconds a lap faster than Vale while making sure to go easy enough to avoid crashing as data collection is by far the biggest key to successful test rider.

7. Wheel Bearing

Insightful information to tell us Guintoli was on a Sunday stroll for the sake of data collection. Must be nice being close drinking buddies with him.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Full of shit people love to be full of shit.

Dragginass likes this.
  9. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

I have a video of a KR Sr. demo ride on a TZ during practice at Imola. "Coming through!"

gixer1100 and YamahaRick like this.
  10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Rossi only rode at this event because he knew all of you would smoke him if he dared show his face at Jennings next month.

kirk erlinger, AJ, Dragginass and 4 others like this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Order of importance for laptimes high to low:

racing
    qualifying
    race weekend practice
    testing
    Deal's Gap
    track days

kirk erlinger, Razr and Banditracer like this.
  12. younglion

Beeb delivers once again - ignore all fact and reality then reply with garbage - carry on...

13. Wheel Bearing

You gonna explain to the class your close relationship with Guintoli or continue to boomer ramble into another topic? You made the claim, chief.

14. younglion

I said what we all know - the only riders at the test who were actually putting their heads down were the WSBK and WSS riders, THEN the testers like Bradley Smith and Guintoli ride but as is commonly accepted - at a slightly less feverish pace, THEN the MotoGP guys who were there to get into riding shape and headspace, THEN guys like Vale who was there simply for the joy of it.

If we circle back to the topic -#46 was out there for shits and giggles but he's not gonna want to be embarrassed, and he was roughly 3 seconds/lap off say Sylvain's pace who is actually working and paid to be there and taking it seriously.

No shame in it for Valentino, but at the same time people like yourself postulating that he was on old garbage/stock equipment with infers if he was on level machinery he'd be right there, to which I said he was actually on par or on higher spec stuff than the current GP lads.

15. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...tino-rossi-special-r1-gytr-vr46-tribute-bike/

ungwaha and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  16. Wheel Bearing

Can you show the class where I said he was on old garbage?

17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I think they got crossed with Brex saying or implying it was some showroom stock R1, when its far far from. Also, the Ducati's, from what I can tell are also not just "stock bikes with bodywork" as 2 I believe, maybe more had the high dual exhaust setup which are like $10k each so i'd have to assume they have more than jus ta slip on. Not saying WSBK spec, but also pretty clearly not stock.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Riding a superbike at the track day in France got Quartararo penalized a couple of years ago.

19. prm

prm Well-Known Member

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yes, I was agreeing with rob saying that the MotoGP guys were most likely not on full-spec superbikes.

prm likes this.