1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 in vintage: Has the time come?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's pretty easy - if the mod is in the Superstock allowed list then it's okay in Superstock. If it isn't stock or in the list then it's Superbike.

On the classes, you've got it.

TLR67 and rd400racer like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Done and on the site.

rd400racer likes this.
  3. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

I've been reading these posts with much interest. As a rider of over 50 years, but only a recent track day rider (the past few years). I've taken several novice track day weekends (3 or 4) at JenningsGP the last one I took the racer test (received a WERA novice competition receipt). I have done track days on my Buell X1's, more recently on my Street triple and former FZR400 (race setup). I sold the FZR400 and bought a well setup 2nd gen SV because I felt it would suit me better. I would love to enter a vintage race, but as I'm usually by myself it intimidates me. I wouldn't know where to start. Yeah my personal protection would be in check, but how do I start when I show up at the track? How do I know my bike will pass inspection and qualify for a certain class? Does WERA offer a novice day where they step you through who you see and what you do?

4. BOMDIVR

BOMDIVR Seeking youth and speed....both are elusive

I just started last season; easy day to navigate through all the processes and procedures to get racing. Read through the rule book; SV is pretty flexible on classes depending on the mods you've done to it. V7MW for vintage. The fellow racers and WERA staff will go out of there way to help out. I'll be at most of the SE and Mid Atlantic events this season and race an SV also and I'd be happy to help you out. Clifton Scott #696.

5. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

You're probably better prepared than you think. Sit down next to the bike with the tech section of the rulebook and check off what's done and needs to be done. As far as being at the track alone, find someone on here to pit with. Since you've in the southeast come pit with me. The guy that comes with me can't sit still so he'll be glad to help!

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Are you coming back to JGP anytime soon? My son and I are CR's there and are usually on our SV's. You are welcome to check out our bikes to see if you're missing anything.
    We'll be glad to walk you through your first race weekend as well. To be honest, almost anyone you pit next to would do the same. Some great people in the WERA paddock.

7. bsanorton

Thank you Kev and Travis for the offers, will do if i can get things together. Travis I will probably do the novice class again in April or May and hopefully a few days before that for a normal track day.

t11ravis likes this.
  8. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

Where are located? I bet there is someone close that help prep the bike and you can pit with.

I'm in Olrando and would come over and help on the bike plus I have a few friends that could help also.

9. bsanorton

Thanks for the offer, very generous of you. I'm going to ping a fellow who sold me the FZR400, I know he has multiple SV's and does some racing. he's over the bridge in Middleburg, I'm in St. Augustine. My son does go to UCF so if that doesn't pan out, I'll bring my bike with me when visiting.!

10. bsanorton

This is hopefully being delivered tonight....

Attached Files:

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Perfect!

12. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Yeah Rich bring it by whenever. I’ve got 2 1st gens I’m doing right now for someone to throw around. That bike looks like it doesn’t really need anything to go racing. You’ll be fine with it, SV classes and vintage are super relaxed.

ungwaha likes this.
  13. bsanorton

Hey Steve! Thanks. Was going to ping you. The one with the blown motor wouldn't budge on price so I rethought what I want to do. So another member offered me this SV. Was waiting for it to be delivered. Well last night at 8:30PM it was. I will ping you probably in a week or 2 ( wife have neck surgery next week so playing nurse maid). Thanks again!

Attached Files:

fishmonster13 likes this.