1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 in vintage: Has the time come?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 5, 2022.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

LWTSS/ LWTSB/F2 - this is all relative to rider of course.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See, that is what I was wondering.

Ignore the power thing - on the rest of the bike what are the actual differences in each gen? Especially with SB rules.

I'm thinking allow them all but put an upper limit on displacement, other than that it's open.

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

5 years ago I could podium in all of the above 3 classes (assuming the right people didn't show up :D)

RRP likes this.
  4. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Your most Honorable Royal Highness and Master Of all things Pie.
    '99-'02 1st gen; carbureted
    '03 - '12 2nd gen; FI, @2007 (twin plug heads / new ECU)
    '16 - '20 3rd gen; FI, water pipe frame, new ECU

SB means they should be ALL be allowed to MAX class displacement (700 cc)

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is there any reason to really restrict it to gen 1?

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Let ask ourselves what vintages truly means these days. Carbs are where we define the newer vintage bikes.
    Id stop with FI on SVs.
    Only because where the bike will end up other bikes are all carbs i believe. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.
    I dont believe people will flock to V7 class with their SVs. This would keep the yrs of bikes in the range of whats in class.
    Whats has always been lacking in V7 MW i knowing whats actually on grid.
    Most guys have owned our bikes a long time and have slowly built them to what we have in class.. Very few have bought bikes to come race V7MW.
    Im sure the SV guys are in same boat and the earlier Carb bikes would probably come race class given they dont want to get a newer model and start over diaing in bike.
    Im not that up on SVs being raced. I just know i raced them at CMRA and they can be fast and what and who show up next yr will dictate how fast the class is next yr.
    Its very possible an SV can be a winner at any race but so can any bike legal for class can also do that.
    The question becomes what is goal for Wera Vintage?
    Are you trying to build Vintage back up or just give SVs another class to race in?
    Now if you decide to let newer ones in i dont see a problem either but then you have a guy who has a full on AMA twins bike that can line up in vintage.
    That is only problem i can see with that decision. Dont think anyone would do that but im sure it maybat some point.
    That leads up back to what is Wera trying to do with V7?
    Something to think about.

Steven

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Right now I'm looking at enough bikes to keep justify vintage classes to my boss.

Even gen3 SV's are old, just not as old as V7. Keeping V7 that old will do what the age limits in all the classes have done and just limit them so much the numbers dwindle to nothing. I could do a V8 Lightweight but that would seriously be just to hand out more plaques, those bikes can do well in LW Twins with the right rider and even the FI bikes I can't imagine dominating V7MW if someone with a real V7 machine came out and rode it.

As always, I really don't care care more than just making you guys semi happy.

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

How about allowing carburated bikes in V7, let the FI bikes in V8?

rd400racer likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Have owned 8 or 9 SV's from '99 to '09 and I'd say no way. There's just not enough G1 SV's still running out there to justify a class change, and IMO the differences are very small whether in SS or SB form. Can't speak directly for G3, but the impression I get is also no major changes.

No dog in this fight as I run strictly Endurance.

RRP likes this.
  10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Agreed- The '99 R6 I had would absolutely smoke any SV I've ridden. Way faster and handled better. Like a lot of people *I* wasn't faster on it laptime-wise due to not being able to get used to the different power delivery.

RRP and VFR#52 like this.
  11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I would say there is not a real reason to restrict it to Gen 1. While there are differences to frames and suspension and such, in SS form there was not a significant advantage to the later gens in terms of handling and brakes, in superbike form, I don't think it matters what gen.

RRP likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? They're already legal for V8 I believe.

13. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

Well then we're good

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Nothing really as long 1st gen can run flats :)
    1st gen - round aluminum frame
    2nd gen - square aluminum frame
    3rd gen - Harley frame

RRP likes this.
  15. kenessex

So, does that mean you are going to let all SV650s into V7 or do you need to have an official e-mail request from somebody?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got enough input/email to remind me.

I think I'll do an SV650 exception in the description, any year and allow LW Twins SB level of modification/displacement and so on.

17. kenessex

Sounds good, now I have some plans to make and a bike to dig out of the back of the garage.:clap:

18. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Dammit, now I gotta get the 1st gen ready to ride :crackup:

RRP likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have heard these promises all before and yet I keep getting left lonely with no racers on the grids :crackup:

20. kenessex

Yeah, but I got plans. Big plans!!!!