1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 in vintage: Has the time come?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 5, 2022.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bit of all of it and add in the Vintage Fest at Barber which they require you to run other events to be able to race.

Something else to remember is that we're as far now from when I started as WWII era bike were then... There haven't been as many big changes in the last 20 years as there were through the 70's and 80's so no real need for as many classes as we had in the 80's and 90's for vintage bikes. And y'all are getting really old... :crackup:

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

And...is a decision forthcoming?:D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes a decision is forthcoming. In like December :D

Scheduling now, rules later. This is definitely the time for suggestions and ideas and the like to be sent to me via email...

RRP and rd400racer like this.
  5. HMBAtrail

HMBAtrail Active Member

I have a couple old Ducs I race in AHRMA. For next season I'm between an SV650 or a Duc 900 depending on how many races they are legal (and at least quasi competitive) in across Wera, AHRMA, and CCS.

6. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

i just picked up a early 90's carb 750, have a 944 engine that im going to put in it. 750=6LW ? 944= 6HW/7MW?[​IMG]

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Before I forget - give me some details on Gen 1 SV's vs Gen 2 - years, changes to the bike between gens and such.

8. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Probably the only relevant changes were the frame (curvy is 2002 and prior) and carbs to FI. Most other stuff crosses over.

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It's a bit more than that. I'm hardly the source of info on these bikes (Mark, chime in anytime:D) but a quick Google search shows that the 1st Gen made 64.2HP while the 2nd Gen made 73.4. I'd say that's a substantial difference.

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'm not going to race this class, but I thought I'd share a little data that I looked up for my last two years of racing V7 versus my first two years of racing LWT. First some details:
    - started racing 2008, but didn't race much before this data. I.E. I only had 4-5 total race weekends prior to 2011 and maybe 3 trackdays
    - My F3 was normal in build for V7. I didn't notice any major power discrepancy to other F3's.
    - My SV was SS 1st Gen and basically stock. It was miserable to race at Road Atlanta as I would get gapped at the start of the back straight before I could catch the draft. At Roebling, you start the straight in the draft, so it isn't as big of a deal.
    - 2011 F3 at Barber vs 2014 SV at Barber is probably a little disingenuous. I was way faster of a rider at that point.
    - LWT Expert grids were more greatly attended than the V7 grids, which led to better/faster competition
    laptimes.jpg
    Honestly, I think the SV would fit well in the V7 classes, and anything that can be done to boost grid sizes is a bonus in my book. However, I don't know how this would cannabilize the exisiting LWT grids. That is for WERA to determine. I do know that I quit V7 to look for bigger grids.

pennswoodsed and rd400racer like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well there we run into an issue or an it won't matter since V7 is a superbike class. I can't see needing to keep the SV's SS legal for it.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hey there are some of us fools with GSXR Front ends on them.... Just saying...

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't blame me for you guys adding yet more weight to a low powered bike that handled just find with rebuilt stock stuff :D

969, Waterboy and cyclocrossfool like this.
  14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I said Fools Damnit!

15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

As far as lap times go an SV is easier to hustle around a track. But lets be honest the V7 class isnt setting fast lap times any more.
    for whatever reason but what is a problem is bikes on grid. When i raced CMRA my bike was
    legal to race against SVs. If an SV rider wanted to win in V7 he could but it wont be easy if someone can go fast on an F3.
    Barber would be a good track for Sv as would Roebling because of handling not HP.
    Maybe what class needs is competition again? So bring them and see.

Steven

16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This is anecdotal - but I believe the 2G was anywhere from 6-10hp higher than 1G in stock form. However, as Sean pointed out, SB rules in V7 so stock comparisons are moot.

As far as the effect this theoretical change would have on LW grids (as far as pulling entries away) - I think it would be nominal at best. The last GNF I raced at in 2018, I was the only one there with a 1G. I know this because I destroyed my rear brake caliper and literally covered the entire paddock looking to borrow one and there were only 2G and 3G SVs there.:D NOTE - this is only my opinion.

For me, I see this as another possible class to run in addition to LWSB and F2.

rd400racer and VFR#52 like this.
  17. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

The FI ones do make more power. That’s why I said that’s the relevant difference.

RRP and VFR#52 like this.
  18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

A 1st gen SV superbike can make the same hp as a 2nd gen or a 3rd gen SV superbike. It's pretty much the same engine. If you're going to let in the 1st gen, you might as well let them all in.

SundaySocial likes this.
  19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Agreed.

I guess as far as making all iterations V7 legal, that’ll be up to WERA/Sean to determine if the differences are enough to make the 1G “more vintage” than the 2G/3G or not. And that may be the ballgame as well.

Hell - the way things are going with Suzuki - everything may be obsolete soon.:D

969 likes this.
  20. HMBAtrail

HMBAtrail Active Member

What classes can the SV run in currently and be somewhat competitive? Dressed in relatively stock clothing (i.e. no Gixxer augmentations and such)