1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two or three MotoGP rounds in the USA

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Dec 6, 2023.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Every time I see this come up I always think “what race(s) are they going to axe to get another race in the US?”

22 circuits in 2023, 44 races if you include the Saturday mini race for motogp. That’s already too many and no wat they’ll increase that to 23 or 24.

ducnut and YamahaRick like this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It's all about the money. If that new track throws more money than COTA throws at them guess what, they have a race.
    A new track has to attract an audience, even if they might lose some money.

ducnut likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That’s the way it was run (and still is in some countries): pay full price for a race, the promoter loses millions and the local or national gooberment makes it up.
    F1 is 100x worse.

that shit don’t fly in the US. A motogp round is gonna cost $10M and you stand to lose $5M? California won’t make up the difference? Rent it to the Porsche club.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And pretty obvious I meant other than Salt Lake.... 1.2 million uninterested people does not fill stands at races.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd bet if there was a viable track in the NE near there (lets go less than three hour drive/train ride) it would be better attended than anywhere else...

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Talk about being in a Fantasy Land ...

OK, here's my version: If two stroke street bikes were made legal and produced in numbers again, popularity of motorcycle racing would grow in a logarithmic fashion!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is fantasy about basic numbers? You seem to understand very little about the pro end of things for as long as you've been around this sport.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The crowds at Pocono for the WERA pro events were pretty darn good. A little far from NYC but it did draw from the city and long island.

There's quite a few large areas up in eastern PA that would be perfect for a track (old mining areas) but the Pocono owners made it difficult and some of the local gooberments made it next to impossible. Hotels and infrastructure would need time to catch up but NE PA would be perfect.

Motofun352 likes this.
  10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

The fantasy of having a facility capable of hosting a MotoGP or F1 weekend in an area of high population density.

11. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

20240104_214341.gif

Attached Files:

12. AndrewG725

AndrewG725 Well-Known Member

They finished this past Summer 2023. I was pretty lucky to be in the first motorcycle event at Laguna with the repave and one of the first riders to get to experience the virgin track! It was crazy how smooth the surface felt, dragging knee felt so bizarre, like sliding over glass! I would think MotoGP there would be awesome?

13. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Maybe this will be the year that Rausch Creek finally gets finished.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...otos-rausch-creek-opening-delayed-until-2002/

14. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

A book could be written on imminent racetrack construction projects that never seemed to get past the press release stage. About a half dozen or so Vapor Motorsports Park / Hot Air Raceway projects here in Colorado this century so far. Road courses - not counting ovals, drag strips, or kart tracks....

2008 seemed to coincide with most of their demise...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  15. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

2008 was the demise of many construction projects. Not great (financial) times that year.

rohorn likes this.
  16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Here's one of them tracks that bit the dust....Bluegrass Motorsports Park....This was our sponsor during the construction of the track.
    We actually had our bikes on it. "the bowl" was wide, fast and steep...Kinda like the high banks at Daytona but smaller.

https://www.facebook.com/p/Bluegras..._JSuWygwiBOnbTaXUQdUMfZR-5OfUWPenh8TIGk0&_rdr

bluegrass.jpg

stickboy274 and rohorn like this.
  17. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

I don't know which is worse - closed tracks or unfinished tracks.

Might have to start going through the internet archive and find old websites for tracks like that...

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That I'll agree is a fantasy.