1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who here is artistic?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Dec 20, 2023.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Trying to resize some pics:crackup:

2. britx303

Basically when I’m not doing standard duties, I’m the guy that turns these……..150+- at a time. All must be indistinguishable from the next, and must withstand angry gaveling as we recently witnessed :crackup:This one I pulled due to the knots. So I use it as my carving mallet :D

Attached Files:

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Creative yeah, don't think I'd call me artistic though, not very much. My day job is so left brained, analytical and structured, I gravitate to right brained hobbies and projects at home so I can be a bit more creative thinking and free. I need that balance and creative outlet or I go fucking crazy.

Razr likes this.
  4. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

5. Mblashfield

I’m still unclear as to your job, but this mallet or gavel is beautiful!
    I became obsessed with mallet turning a couple years ago. I turned dozens and dozens learning from each one and transferring the knowledge to the next.

britx303 likes this.
  6. Mblashfield

Here are some of the nicer ones

Attached Files:

britx303 likes this.
  7. britx303

Very nice!!!

8. britx303

Originally I’m a 4th or 5th gen cabinetmaker/woodworker as main trade,and my Dad taught me to turn when I was apprenticing. But I’m no longer private sector and woodworking is only a small part of what I do now. Yep, every turn is different even when you are duplicating multiples of the same species…….something will change in grain or what have you, blank to blank

9. Mblashfield

Thank you!

britx303 likes this.
  10. Mblashfield

The thought of trying to make two identical pieces (without duplicating technology) hurts my brain. I would never try.

britx303 likes this.
  11. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I'm with Dan, I think I'm slightly creative but certainly wouldn't call myself artistic. I enjoy little "yard art" projects I suppose. I knocked up these card holders and displays for the jewelry my gf makes from junk that was laying around the garage.

IMG_20231221_110928.jpg

IMG_20231221_110923.jpg

IMG_20231221_110918.jpg

IMG_20231221_110913.jpg

I'm around a ton of artistic people however as I play bass in some local bands. Definitely a different wavelength for a lot of people I'm around.

RS250Ape, britx303, Razr and 2 others like this.
  12. Mblashfield

Both of you are very creative and enterprising!

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I have a lot of respect for carpenters. Although my venue title is Head Carpenter and on the road I'm an Advance Carpenter very little of what I deal with is made out of real wood lol. It's made to look like wood but it ain't.

I had to fuck with these gotdamn snowflakes again today and I became angry once more. Hate this fiddly shit.

britx303 likes this.
  14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Beautiful work!

15. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

My artistic talent is making the simplest tasks far more difficult than they should be. The Rube Goldberg approach to anything I touch.

Sabre699 and Hondo like this.
  16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Are there any guidelines / protocols as to how forcefully you are allowed to give these gavels to their recipients?

Must you place them into the recipients' hands, as well? Or is upside their heads allowed? :D

Sabre699 and britx303 like this.
  17. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

My masterpiece…

Attached Files:

Razr and britx303 like this.
  18. britx303

Yep, totally understand. When I first left outside construction for an inside job at 18, it was for an exhibit company that built macys parade floats, tv sets and props, setup the *residential Ball, lots of high profile stuff. And full up with snowflakes that would go overly anal with the stupidest things. Man come to think of it, I had forgotten about how much stuff I built for mtv, Nickelodeon, vh1 etc……..I’ve got a lot of old swag that’s probably close to 30 years old. Damn…..depressing :crackup:

YamahaRick and Steeltoe like this.
  19. britx303

Ok, that’s cool. Everybody here should appreciate that

20. britx303

The guaranteed rights of ‘Merican citizens is important around here……..even the 5th :D