1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euthanizing a pet cat

Discussion in 'General' started by zertrider, Dec 13, 2023.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

So our cat Joe Rocket (Rocky for short) is 17yrs old and starting to downhill pretty bad. Getting incontinent, losing weight and his balance. He has never been to the vet after his neutering and has to this point been healthy.
    I called around today and Holy jumping Christopher. Anywhere from $250 to $400 to euthanize him. Some places want to charge a fee to check him over 1st before putting him down, which leads to the $400 ones. Now before everyone suggests the lead pill, our kids who are now 15 have never known life without him, and I just couldn't do that to him and them. If it were someone else's cat or a stray, now problem.

WTF is with $250 to just put a cat down. That's not including anything else, as I would just take him home and bury him on our property.

For the record, we haven't done it yet, but will be scheduling it for next week.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:(

RIP Rocky

So sorry for your loss.

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Sorry that Rocky is failing. We had to put our dog down not too long ago and the one thing we don't regret is that we didn't wait too long. Unfortunately the cost is just something that comes with the territory of having a pet and doing what is right for them and your family when the time comes. It looks like he didn't cost you much over the years so a little money now is what it is. Be strong and do the right thing.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It’s brutal and sorry, man.

Let me know when you’re ready to laugh a bit and I’ll tell you about getting hassled by the cops for lacrosse balls and my dead cat in my car.
    Really, sorry zert and rocky.

zertrider likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. We had a vet come out to the house and put ours down, while in my arms. I’ve also done it at the vet and think at home is easier for the animal, if there are reasonable services that do that for you, wherever you live.

Senna, BigBird, JBall and 3 others like this.
  6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

We have lost 4 in the last year, 3 of those in the last 6 weeks. 2 from old age, like your Rocky (very sorry you all are going through this). One was hit by a car before Halloween, he was a feral I hand tamed over a years time, to make a "house cat" but, he liked to go outside, periodically. The last one was our handsome 5 year old Chartreux, named after the Pet Sematary kitty, Church. He had a mystery illness, even 10 days at MSU emergency vet hospital couldnt figure out. He passed in front of our woodburner (one of his favorite places on the planet), a little over a week ago. I was with him when he took his last breath's, wouldnt change that for the world. With that said, Like @Bowman Forklift said, find a vet that will do this at home. let them pass in their home, not a sterile, strange white room, with stainless furniture. Hugs to all of you that went through this, or are going through this. The last 6 weeks, especially the last 3 have been terrible for the wife and I so, we can feel your pain. Ski

Senna, HPPT, Wheel Bearing and 2 others like this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sorry about Rocky :(

We were faced with this with our 2 senior cats a few years ago... we couldn't bear to put them down at the vet's office under bright lights in an unfamiliar environment, so we had a vet come to our home each time and they passed in our arms. It was traumatic and I'm crying writing this, but I can't imagine a better scenario for them. They were surrounded by a loving family that comforted them, in a familiar environment. The pain will never go away for us, so at least we can cling to their last moments.

We had them cremated via aquamation, and they are still with us in their little wooden boxes, surrounded by their favorite blankets, toys and snippets of their hair.

8. nowayout

nowayout Well-Known Member

Call around for a vet that makes house calls. From my experience they are less expensive. Maybe ask on you local facebook group for one

kirk erlinger and skidooboy like this.
  9. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

This. We've lost several senior dogs in the last few years and have always used Lap of Love. The vets come to your house, your pet is surrounded by loved ones instead of a cold clinical setting, you have all the comfort and privacy you deserve. I HIGHLY recommend you call them, or someplace like them. You owe it to your family, and more importantly, your pet.

Call them.

www.lapoflove.com

mattys281-2, HPPT, Senna and 3 others like this.
  10. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Rocky. Just a suggestion: find a vet who will do it in home. It's a better way to say goodbye, you can set up a bed and those who want to be be present while he nods off for the last. And esp for the animal's last minutes versus getting dropped off at an unknown place staring at strangers while ly...you get the idea.
    When we had to put a cat down, it was the same cost.

mattys281-2 and Senna like this.
  11. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

I had to have 3 pets euthanized in 2 months. It was a rough patch and I can sympathize. Of the 3, one was done at home and I feel better (or least badly) about that approach.
    Hang in there.

prm, BigBird and skidooboy like this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I had to do it last year to my 18 year old cat. You know, the cat that your daughter gets when it's a kitten and then quickly loses interest once it becomes a cat. I'm well known for having zero sentimentality towards animals. Please don't take that as being mean, I just don't care about pets...I think they're a nuisance. And this particular cat attached itself to me. Would only sit in my lap, no one else. Slept next to me every single night. I always said when it got to the end, I'd simply put it down myself.

Well, this tough guy cried like a baby taking it to be euthanized. Just destroyed me. That's the last pet we had and I'll never get another. But to answer the OP, pretty sure it was less than $100.

AC1108, skidooboy, HPPT and 5 others like this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

sorry man.

our last boxer got to spend her last minutes with us at home, vet coming here, overall very sensible approach. cost was $150. for reference.

call around.

Senna likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

So sorry @zertrider for your baby.
    Travel well, Rocky. :(

15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

So called around and damn do vets rip you off around here. Nothing less than $250 at their location. To do it at home is over $550.
    Just not gonna happen at $500 for at home.

mattys281-2 likes this.
  16. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I totally hear you...but at the end of the day, it's $500. I know for a $250 difference I'd want to die at home vs a hospital. You won't miss the money

Senna likes this.
  17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Any local feline nonprofits?

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

well seems like you are a bit indifferent to how it goes down, then I would check with your local animal shelter, ASPCA, etc. They do it cheap, but usually don't allow you to be there.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I paid around $500 each for our cats, so depending on your area, that sounds about right. Its just money. Your cat loved your family.

AC1108 likes this.
  20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I would say it depends on your vet. We were unable to find a vet that would do a house call in our area, regardless of the price, so our local small town vet was the only option. They had the exam room prepared with a blanket on the table and scheduled us very early in the day for privacy. I was able to carry the dog in and my wife and I were with her and she was not upset in the least, just suffering with her ailments. The vet had very good bedside manner both with her and with us. Once she was gone, they took care of everything until we picked up the box with the ashes. Going to the vet is sometimes the best option.

skidooboy likes this.