1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCAA FOOSBALL

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Gotta love all the Michigan haters. LOL So auminer, show us on your comfort doll where the Wolverines hurt you this season.:crackup:

rd400racer and auminer like this.
  2. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

And this is why you PLAY the game, not decide it some board room who seem to think they have a crystal ball.

t11ravis likes this.
  3. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

OSUs bowl record is easy to find. Take a look at a beatings they usually take playing the ACC and SEC.
    And the they are the cream of the crop of the less important conferences.

Shenanigans likes this.
  4. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

This is facts ^^^
    Y'all remember that 31-0 drubbing Dabo handed Urban, or did you purge that from your memory banks?

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

And the Big10 is 3 teams and a bunch of pushovers. I'd maybe included Iowa as a 4th if they could score more than 3 FGs a game. Count the number of national championships in the playoff era. Hint: Big10 has one.

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I bet there will be a good number of opt-outs for both teams.

7. rwdfun

rwdfun

And what do previous years have to do with this year, other than to warp your impression of how good your conference is THIS year. Question, how far back do you want to go. I just want to know how "we" are judging future performance.

Let's just say the CFP era. So we cancel all future football games and just hand Bama 3, GA 2, Clem 2, OSU 1 and LSU 1 every 9 years. No one else gets one. Totally seems fair to me. Guess what, since OSU won 9 years ago, they get this years championship. Cool with you guys?

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

9. auminer

They stole it along with all my signals. :Poke:

:D

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ok finally someone points out the obvious! Let's look at the overall records for say, hmm, the top 10 of the most recent AP Top 25 rankings?

All time Win Loses %
    Michigan 1002 353 73.95
    Washington 773 464 62.49
    Texas 948 391 70.80
    Florida State 556 259 68.22
    Alabama 965 336 74.17
    Georgia 880 429 67.23
    Ohio State 964 332 74.38
    Oregon 703 511 57.91
    Missouri 712 587 54.81
    Penn State 930 408 69.51

11. CBRRRRR999

Pre 70s was more popularity contest with sportswriters drooling over the knobs of the legacy teams.
    W/L means nothing when teams are in cupcake divisions or play cupcakes intentionally.
    Head to head over the last 50 years the ACC and SEC trounce every one else.
    Miami as an independent is an exception and has as many or more championships than all those cupcake divisions combined.

12. rwdfun

rwdfun

Can you please narrow it down to an exact year in the 70s that it stopped being a popularity contest? Just wondering when your idea of legitimate history starts 50ish years ago so I can better understand who are the better leagues and teams in 2023.

Ya know because players in their 70s now totally determine who the best teams are this year. I mean Ohio State got screwed this year. I hate it that Archie Grffin didn't get a chance to compete for a championship in 2023. And man, Bama is totally deserving because they beat Auburn with Bo Jackson and GA with Herschel Walker. And Texas should be ranked #1 because they beat Oklahoma State with Barry Sanders

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

This thing has devolved yet again.
    The politicians are now jumping in the ring... fitting I suppose.

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

College football has gotten stupid. Good for the players to make some money off of their work. The schools and conferences don't give a shit about the student part of student athlete anymore. Just make the NCAA a pro league and divest it from colleges altogether a this point.

Motofun352 and t11ravis like this.
  15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Maybe this accelerates the inevitable, who knows.
    It will end up one of two ways - no more college football, only teams separate from but "sponsored" by schools, or all conferences blown up and back to regional NCAA divisions.

Maybe a mix, where the big market teams form a separate superleague of teams sponsored by schools while the rest are the official NCAA teams in regions.

I figured it had a handful more years anyway before the next big realignment moves, but maybe it gets sped up.

Jon Wilkens, t11ravis and tl1098 like this.
  16. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Worst thing about the FSU garbage is my wife is going to be bitchy from now until the Natl Championship is over. She was in the Marching Chiefs (redhead flute player lol) and a rabid fan. All I know is from the outside looking in those kids got robbed by a bunch of Nostradamus wannabes for money. And I’m gonna have to soothe her for a month.

Sabre699, cpettit, brex and 1 other person like this.
  17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

There is no need for FSU fans to get upset. If things had gone the way they wanted, FSU would be getting an ass kicking of biblical proportions from Georgia in the post season...

thrak410 likes this.
  18. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Mmmm....would? Well, they are playing one another in the post season, so they still just may. Just that it's in the Orange Bowl instead.

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. CBRRRRR999

Dude , that is an awesome piece of writing.
    It started pre 70s as more outlets started having a say in deciding and the public became more involved when USA/CNN started publishing polls in the 80s as well.
    The story will likely be repeated again this year.
    It's a fluke Big blue got past Michigan State and Ohio state, normally a loss to one of them puts them out.
    And Oregon/Washington is usually a battle for first loser.
    Every year we hear the same thing, that the ACC and SEC are over ranked right up until they demolish this years wonder team.

20. auminer

With every draft -eligible player sitting out, it's more like next year's teams will be playing.

All the more reason for head coaches to pull those seniors & standout juniors when their mid-season games are well in hand & get next year's team some in-game experience.

But, then, those Heisman hopefuls wouldn't get to rack up mad stats, and would transfer to somewhere else. :rolleyes:

The more of this, the more I like high school FB.

brex and Motofun352 like this.