1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCAA FOOSBALL

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Sep 23, 2023.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

How many years before bowl games go away? With transfer players and those going to NFL opting out of bowls I don’t see the major sponsors sticking around. Certainly not at the current level.Fan interest isn’t going to improve either. Look at the Orange Bowl, it was potentially a great game yet the stands are maybe half full.

brex likes this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Damn near the entire offense, and a couple defensive stars.
    This entire bowl season has been full of boring, lame games due to transfers and opt-outs.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Yes, including those on the field.

thrak410, CBRRRRR999, auminer and 3 others like this.
  4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

How to say I'm ignorant about college football without sayin it.:rolleyes:

Sabre699 and t11ravis like this.
  5. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

14 fsu starters didn’t play. UGA was missing 3 I believe.
    If you’re using this game to prove some sort of point you’re delusional.

Sabre699, brex and YamahaRick like this.
  6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Ga won the championship game last year 65-7 and today’s game 63-3. That’s completely insane.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If you believe that today's result would have been substantively different with both squads at full strength, YOU'RE the delusional one here.

rd400racer likes this.
  8. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

As a guy from (& still in) MO, with two boys who went to Mizzou, I’m so glad they won the Cotton Bowl!

M-I-Z
    Z-O-U!!!!

Sabre699 likes this.
  9. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Georgia would have still won, but not by 60 points.

10. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

All 3 of our local teams won. Good chance that’ll happen again next season from what I saw. As long as KState beats KU during the regular season. I still feel the disappointment of the walkoff field goal MU kicked. Ugh

11. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

The Thicker Kicker!!!

12. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Yeah, having half a team of starters sitting out is making a joke of the whole post season.

Jed, Gixxerguy855, prm and 1 other person like this.
  13. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I’m ok with the series being 1-1 with the way they won and how well they did afterwards.

sharkattack likes this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Imagine just how lame the next "playoff" season is going to be.

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The "portal" bullshit needs to wait till bowl season is over.
    Otherwise make it flag football for all the pussies.

prm likes this.
  16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The respective number of players who chose to sit out on each team says something about the strength of their programs. Culture counts. And anyone who thinks Georgia is not a top four team is insane.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  17. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

How does the NCAA go about setting the "naming" price for any bowl game not connected to the playoffs when no top players want to be there?

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

A great example has been the rose bowl for years. It's the oldest, sure, but that's all it has going for it. When not part of the playoffs, it's not an open bowl. It's a locked-in bowl, so nobody outside of the two conferences has cared about it one bit.
    And for the last what, decade or so, the Big 10 hasn't cared about it either. It's a glory game for the PAC, because their champion isn't good enough for the four-team playoffs (including his year, even though Washington slipped in), so they treat it like a big deal. The Big 10 looked at it as a consolation prize. Whatever team got roped into it had all kinds of players sit out. Of course, they still beat the PAC champ because I mean, who doesn't?
    But the point is, the bowl season is completely meaningless outside of the "playoffs".
    I'm hoping the expanded 12 team version will finally kill it off.
    It would make far more sense to have bowls as a preseason game than an afterthought game where teams are entirely different than they were during the season with transfers and opt-outs.

auminer likes this.
  19. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Bowl games were a reward for a good season and an opportunity to play another team that they normally would not play. Those days are long gone and money has completely ruined what was the best sport in the world. We'll see how this complete shit show turns out in the next couple of years...but it has losing its attraction for me very quickly.

20. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

This alone is what will change the current system. If enough people stop paying money and attention it will get fixed in a hurry.

Sabre699, brex and Jon Wilkens like this.