1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you build id you had more time, or money?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Sep 14, 2023.

1. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Same stroke, long rod is to compensate for short crown to wristpin distance on the IT pistons. Don't think I worked out exact spacing so would probably require cylinder base spacers or machining to get timing and compression right. Long rods were a Banshee aftermarket part; big end was a millimeter or two wider than RD/TZ, so crank would need to be machined or maybe fit an RZ crank. More details never fully worked out.

On subject of snowmobile triples in bike frames, https://thekneeslider.com/monotrack-experimental-by-dan-hanebrink/ I remember seeing it at Ontario mid/late 70's. The builder was rather more known for precision swing arm pivot kits for Z1's and RD's. I think except for the tires and clutch belt literally every part on it was carved from billet. Oh and it was an SOB to launch. He was invariably last into turn 1.

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

For those think about a snow mobile engied bike, consider a transmission out of a Honda ST1100. It is a non unit type gearbox that was stuffed inline with the lomgitudinal v4 engine and looks like it could be rotated 90* and used with a parallel crank engine. I have seen them on ebay for about $100. I have been considering the concept for a few years but lack the space in the garage and probably lack the fabrication skills to make it work.

dave3593 likes this.
  3. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Kaw would probably handle better.

4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

That ST1100 gearbox would be quite a problem solver. How is the clutch set up?

5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Kim Newcombe finished second in the 1973 500cc World Championship on a bike using a hydroplane engine. There were a few others used the same engine in the time (Konig) and it also was used to win the sidecar world championship as well.

6. dave3593

Konig had such a tragic history. There is one of those bikes in the Barber museum.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The xlutch is axternal to the transmission. I would look at using the dry clutch setup from a Ducati.

8. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Rz250 with later TZ cylinders.
    Period correct but upgraded parts.

9. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Will need to see pics of both!

Still have a 91 Gsxr 1100. Had plenty of 93-95 ZX7 race bikes

Shenanigans likes this.
  10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

The gsxr is in pieces in the corner of garage. Tje 7 is a complete roller, needs raised back up. Some idiot lowered it. Change exhaust. Install radiator , find good bodywork. My body is fixable but will take a good bit of work

11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

From the ST1100 mentions, I had a dream of taking an ST1300 engine, slapping a supercharger on it, and stuffing it into a friends Caterham S7. That sounded like fun.

12. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

On the snowmobile engine line of thinking, Google Tularis 800. But I just want to finish all the shit I have already started.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I keep a pic of it handy because it's so beautiful.

[​IMG]

969 and emry like this.
  14. mattys281-2

mattys281-2 Well-Known Member

If I had the time and space I’d love to do a full build and then race an Aprilia RS250.

Some day maybe…

rd400racer likes this.
  15. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

I would build this... Muzzy ZX10 Monster.jpg

JBall likes this.
  16. rd400racer

Here's another one I'm saving for retirement. I bought this a few years ago from a fellow WERA guy for $50 if I recall.

[​IMG]

I'd like to transform it to this...

[​IMG]upload image forum

mattys281-2 likes this.
  17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

A proper 450 super single.

jcivince likes this.
  18. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

Finish my "100% all in" NSR250 project someday...

Needs more money and time than I have...

mattys281-2 likes this.
  19. dave3593

In
    That reminds me of the pictures you see of a person before and after drugs. The after drugs photo is the top one.:crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  20. rd400racer

Hence the $50 price tag:D