1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information Theft

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Sep 26, 2023.

1. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

Kinda along these lines, say a thief had access to an unlocked iPhone for 30 minutes before chucking it on the side of the road. Could they mirror it or something? They chucked her air pods out almost immediately but kept the phone a while. We had both tracked via location services and have the phone back now.

Wife’s purse got stolen in a smash and grab while we stopped to put some flowers out at the cemetery.

We shut down everything financial, froze credit, changed locks but still wondering about the phone.

2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Department Of Defense (DOD) employees and Active / Retired / Inactive Military members have files with Office of Personnel Management (OPM) because they (OPM) handle pay, health benefits, retirement, security records (among other things) for the Air Force, Army, Navy (and Marines; “Hey buddy can we get a ride?”)
    I don’t know, but would assume that the Coast Guard are also burdened with the OPM’s “services”

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

What's scarier is that they can use AI to clone voices now. This happened to my family twice in the last month- they can clone a cell phone number so they are calling you from a loved one's number, with your loved one's voice (courtesy of AI) begging for help for various reasons.

We are Italian and therefore susceptible to panic anyway- so I've gotten a few crazy calls from Dad and my cousin demanding to know where my nephew was because in one scenario, my 15 year old nephew took a trip to FSU and got arrested, please don't tell mom and dad (Plausible), and another from some heavily accented bad guy saying he had a gun to my nephew's head and my cousin had better open a coinbase account ASAP or they would kill him.

It's really frightening- be prepared.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago my wife’s mom got one saying Tyler was in jail and she needed to send bail money asap. She was 80-82 at the time and it really upset her and she was trying to round up bail money to send them.