1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One more step to extinction

Discussion in 'General' started by YoshiHNS, Sep 26, 2023.

1. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Super 10s are one of the easiest. 18 speeds are a whole other story.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The DSG is just too damn great with the VW engines. Feel like the manual buyers are just screaming at the wailing wall with the VW/ Audis.

3. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

if it works it works. is anyone better than the othe maybe yes because they're in the same competing environment. regardless still an individual preference we are or all the for a reason....

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would never choose a VW manual. They are terrible. Thankfully the DSGs are very good, but not great.

Truthfully, the 8 speed with torque converter in the B9 S4 which is shared with like all the BMWs is much better than a VW DSG.

A Mazda and Honda manual are light years better than any VW manual car that I've driven.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Now that is smart. I know how I treat a race bike on the track, I go for it!!! No reason to treat an expensive $30-70k car like that when you can get a Miata or go kart for much less and still have a lot of fun, or most likely, more fun.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Isn’t that the truth. I’ve spent a few drives in the last week, training my new 30 year old parts guy how to drive my Tacoma, and F350, which are both sticks. My tow truck is a stick too, but is currently having the heads rebuilt.

I did go look at a new to me Tow truck last night with an auto.

It sure is hard hiring people, and my last two probably weigh 275-350 each. Bought new office chairs for them, to help make them comfortable.

BigBird likes this.
  7. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Are those 100k positions too or is that only for sales? I always wonder how people make enough to live in places like that while not having skills to pay for it.

dave3593, TurboBlew and ToofPic like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

100k might as well be minimum wage... when you factor in everything else. And the problem with many day jobs is they interfere with hustling like say bar tending or what not employment.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  9. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

I installed the shift linkage from the Euro cars (and maybe the S3) on my wagon that reduces throw by about 20%. Love it. TBF, I haven't driven a Honda or Mazda in a long time.

BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

My wife was against us having 3 cars for a long time. She was like it's a waste, but after destroying the Type R, she understood.

Sucks seeing the more expensive car outside the garage, but it's such a relief not working on the daily car to make sure I can drop the kids to school, and then work for racing. It really relieves some stress there. I overpaid for what is a non-working car, but really interested in getting this going, a real project car, and it's not exactly pretty, so for a change I don't have to worry about paint and dents and dings that much either

11. Boman Forklift

Good to hear mama was supportive and finally seeing the light to our weird hobbies. I agree that would stress me out trying to race/track a car and knowing I need it to go to work on Monday too. Plus when you start getting faster on street cars, don’t you have to start buying rotors and pads all the time, plus messing around with different wheels and tires, and swapping the track ones to the street ones, etc.

BigBird likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I borrowed my mother's 67 Barracuda in 1973 and blew the
    slant 6. They used to die right around 100,000 miles like clockwork.
    All I was doing was driving it on the highway at about 80 mph.
    My father made me buy the car AND he kept it and sold it to
    a mechanic son of a guy he knew who managed to kill himself
    while working on it.

13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Are the US VW manuals really that bad? I had a rental Golf in Czech last year, and thought the shifter was fine. As long as it moves freely and gives me a positive feel that I am indeed in gear, I'm okay with it.

I think the engine characteristics make a bigger difference than the shifter, so long as it has a positive feel for being in gear. Drove someone's Elantra and that thing sucked. If you looked at the gas pedal, it would rev to the moon, and you'd have to wait for the RPMs to drop to match revs and shift. Really annoying.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Your proximity to Bangor Maine is noted…

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

most of the newer cars have this "rev hang" for emissions. it can be tuned out, but it's annoying AF

16. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

If FCPEuro is to be believed, all Euro VWs get the shift linkage I installed in my car.

BigBird's right about the rev hang though. Mine is much better for exactly the reason he mentioned - tuning.

17. Boman Forklift

I have a mechanic, that with overtime, makes over $100K. I have a salesperson that makes 6 figures too and another that I hope will. Today, I just setup an interview with what I believe to be a good salesman that worked for me a few years ago. He decided to move to the N. Carolina and live by his daughter, so he quit after only a few months working with us. He missed S. Cal and is back. It will take awhile for him to ramp up, but I hope he can pierce that number too.

I try my best to make over 6 figures as well. If we are losing money, I don't succeed, as my pay is 99% profit based.

R1Racer99, BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Same here

It's ok if your employees buy a new house

If I buy a new house, they automatically assume they got fucked on their bonus and their hourly pay isn't enough

Fascinating behavior

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

66 Charger. No synchro in 1st, fine 2 and 3.

20. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Super clean, runs perfect, 140K, and I literally can NOT sell my '09 WRX because it has a 5-speed.

'Oh, I didn't read that part of the ad, my little Dylann can't drive a manual'

Then teach him

'I can't drive one either'

o_O

Off topic but my other favorite response:

'$6k'

Sorry, no.

'I'm a HS student and it's all I have'

Then shop for something in that range

'Yur the devil'

:whoosh:

YamahaRick likes this.