1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One more step to extinction

Discussion in 'General' started by YoshiHNS, Sep 26, 2023.

1. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Just found out that Subaru stopped offering their manual transmission in the Impreza and Crosstrek for 2024 models on. I was planning on replacing mine when the time came, but I guess I missed the window. Pretty sure it was the only standard car offered in manual and AWD on the market for the US. I've only had manual cars, and the practicality of a wagon has been awesome. AWD is awesome for being in the snowbelt, not that we've had much snow the last few years.

Last remaining options in AWD I found are the WRX, Corolla GR, and Golf R. WRX has mediocre mpg, is sedan only, and you have to pay the bro tax. Other two are $40k plus dealer mark up.
    Other wagon options left? I think you can still get a civic, mazda3, and corolla in FWD, BRZ in RWD, but not really a wagon, and....that's it? Everything else is a sports car.

Am I the only one left who cares? Manuals are drying up more and more. Not liking my options for the future.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You can't find a leftover '23 anywhere?

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

we were on our way there when CDL drivers could license with an automatic tractor.
    I would be curious how many manuals they sold...

tony 340 likes this.
  4. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Why invest in something only a fraction of the market wants? The death of the manual transmission is "let the market decide" capitalism in action.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Well that and CAFE standards, emissions controls and having too many distractions just trying to find the radio presets to be able to negotiate a clutch and gearbox…

cav115 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All went to hell when to stopped making three on the tree and started using synchros.

969, ToofPic, stangmx13 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I prefer a standard too, but now that automatics have 6-10 speeds, that helped kill the manual too. At least in the good old days, manuals were faster, and you got better gas mileage. Now manuals are slower and you get worse gas mileage.

cav115 likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Lesbians, their market target, can't do the clutch-shift thing.

9. pickled egg

Shifter too phallic for their delicate sensibilities?

StaccatoFan likes this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Reward them by not buying their product again.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When the DSG autos got so damn good the handwriting was on the wall.
    If the options were just cvts or manuals I might invest in getting my knee fixed so I could deal with a manual again in traffic but DSG (or whatever it’s called in other brands) with paddles (for those times you feel like using them) is the shit.

Jed likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love the 10spd in the truck.

mattys281-2, Boman Forklift and cbush like this.
  14. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

You're definitely not the only one. As posted in another thread, I bought my 6MT AWD Golf Sportwagen in late '19 when I realized it was my last chance to get something new to replace the Volvo V70R I was sick of fixing. I threw some parts at it (turbo, suspension, tuning, etc) and it's a fun little ripper that still gets 40mpg at 75mph.

YoshiHNS likes this.
  15. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I have a 10 speed Allison linked to my Duramax in my dually and a 6 Speed Allison in the Kenworth. I think I will be dragging my left leg behind by next year.

YamahaRick likes this.
  16. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

People moving to big cities, where congestion and rush hour traffic makes a stick a PITA. Now, even the 'small' cities are becoming congested as the countryside empties out.

Also: People's interest in mastering any technology beginning and ending with the cell phone.

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

A forum filled with people that ride motos, are into motorsports, and may actually tow or use a truck for truck things seems like a perfect place for some confirmation bias about manual transmissions.

The 10spd auto in my Ranger tows the moto and boat very well. I did pay for a good warranty though :D

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I swear some of the three on the trees I drove had more tricks and combos than my school locker and might as well start over if you missed the real neutral to start from…. Seems like the worst were the F150s with the bad cab mounts putting all that weight on the column….

damn it! I swear I age in years with a single post on here some days! Buncha old geezers up in here… :Poke::crackup:

19. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Emissions and mileage are the reason for many mandates.

20. pickled egg

73 Duster at a body shop near my place. If it wasn’t a total rust bucket, and I had time, space and cash to burn…

Attached Files:

TurboBlew likes this.
  21. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.