1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica LivePlus

Discussion in 'General' started by cBJr, Jul 9, 2023.

1. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Michael does a good job, he does his homework by coming around before his segments and has a conversation to get background. He's genuinely interested in riders and teams and adds a lot IMO.

What is REALLY annoying is they can't EVER get the PA synched with the broadcast. Do you know how crazy that makes me? :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

DMG comparisons don’t count. Come on now :crackup:

I’ve waited in line to watch the 200, for sure. I’m not a naysayer, I always try to do my part to grow the sport, but I’m only one person

also I’m less than 20mins from Daytona speedway

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly having dealt with track PA's there's almost no way to do it - it's even worse the larger the track (especially NASCAR sized ovals) where there is a delay between you speaking and the sound coming out of the speakers - weird as hell to get used to. Talking to some folks who do anthems it's the same in large stadiums.

I have wondered if they could pull the audio feed after it hits the track amplifiers but it'd make the video way off without some tweaking, not sure it's worth it for them.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True, just don't want people to forget what the bad days can be like :D

Cool, I've never seen a spectator line any time I've gone as a spectator. Granted when I've been there working or hanging out I'm usually there way early and leave way late.

5. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

My 2 main gripes with live+ are spoilers and the delay to post races. If they would just get autoplay to turn off when the setting says off and post races within an hour of them ending I would be pretty happy and continue to pay even with some races going to YouTube.

6. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

They fail to take any accountability when they have tech issues and blame peoples slow internet when, if you are on here, the discord, tdju or anywhere its clear that the feed, live timing, the website or whatever else they have failed and its not our "slow internet."

Sure we dont know the technical side but when they are taking the content and making it free elsewhere and not offering any improvement or organization and on top of that actually reducing the number of sessions they air per round people will be upset and start thinking about not buying it anymore.

SundaySocial likes this.
  7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

This kind of thing is my thought and my gripe as well. The content MA is producing is fantastic, with great announcing and awesome production. People love to bitch about this host or that announcer or whatever, but I think they all do a pretty damn good job creating an interesting and engaging video feed.

The problem I have (and this is likely very strongly influenced by my software engineering background) is that the content delivery mechanism they've built - aka MotoAmerica LivePlus - is a poor experience and there are fully-solved, turn-key solutions out there that they could (and, obviously in my opinion, should) be using instead. YouTube has "channel memberships", which allow paywalling videos and streams: MotoAmerica could simply host their entire LivePlus experience as a channel membership. They would get all of the engineering of YouTube: The content-delivery network, the client-side cache servers, the search features, integration with Apple TV/Roku/Chromecast/Android/iOS/Browsers/etc.

And my guess is that it wouldn't be significantly more expensive than paying exorbitant contracting-firm fees for maintenance of MotoAmerica Live+ across Android/iOS/Web and all the associated video streaming hardware and servers. That shit is fuckin pricey.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Places I lived, either the cable company carried it, or it didn't. But it was basic cable. I never got a premium channel in the US, not even HBO.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well considering the number of people who have issues on one platform and not others I can see them telling you everything is fine on their end. And sorry but here/discord and sure as fuck TDJU are NOT proof of an issue on MotoAmericas end :crackup:

I'm lost on the last paragraph. I see more content not less. Yeah I get the free thing but I get the feeling that was more due to the hacking issue than a change in their marketing plan.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On ours it was always part of a secondary package, usually came with a bunch of sports channels.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Speedvision/Speed was basic cable here.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all had fancy cable companies :crackup:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think I had one once that did include Sports South, but went to DirecTV after so nothing I liked was included.

14. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

That's Kevin Rodio's bag, he owns Spellcaster Productions. He engineered and sold the video walls to Motoamerica, he's helped them with other a/v stuff. It's difficult to get the PA consistent when you have different equipment at every track and it's expensive to make it work perfectly.

henry_carlson likes this.
  15. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I was trying to say 2 things. 1 they have reduced live + programing this season on a whole. we used to get more saturday sessions.

Also this season the free content they put out on youtube is part of what was so important about having live+ (Superbike) so people are going to be less inclined to purchase it and I am less inclined to come back next year.

I disagree with you on the social media, outside of IG where does Motoamerica really have a platform? In live time too, idk where else people talk about races as they go on besides here fb and discord.

Overall though, while it is so nice to have the app and we are a bit whiny, live+ is going on 5 years old and needs a bit of a touch up before it starts to drive some fans away.

I do appreciate your point that it all is probably a bear to deal with and expensive af

16. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I must admit, if MA keeps live streaming SBK and SS, it makes paid Live+ a non-starter for most people. I will continue to support them with subscription, but it certainly seems they are trying to do 2 divergent strategies simultaneously. If they go to paid YouTube for next year I suppose this transition could make sense, but otherwise it's curious.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense, we've played with it some over the years and as goofy as some of the track setups are I just gave up and carry an FM transmitter and mic with me just in case it all goes to shit :D

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I like Live+ because of all the other stuff, practice, qualifying, interviews. I watch all that stuff, but many times it is not live. I can't get all of that on Youtube and have it in one place when I want it with Live +. I will continue to subscribe.

19. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

The live streaming of superbike races is not due to the hacking from this past weekend. MA has been live streaming all of the superbike class races on their YouTube page all season long.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah okay. They're on some tv network too aren't they?