1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric mower

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

One of my thoughts is, are the big box store stuff decent enough? I don't even have anywhere near a 1/2 acre. Thanks for the input.

2. Jon Wilkens

Not an awful idea...however, the kudzu would overtake that stuff in a month....lol One main reason I want a dedicated mower for the shop...I don't want to take any kudzu back to my place at all.

3. Jon Wilkens

Good to know. The easiest stuff to find is ryobi around here. Thanks for your input.

4. Jon Wilkens

5. Jon Wilkens

Do you have any cordless power tools? You can quit with the doom and gloom garbage. Move along....

SuddenBraking and stk0308 like this.
  6. Jon Wilkens

Corded might be an option...I think if I mowed in the correct pattern, the cord would never be in the way...thanks

pfhenry likes this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

This is exactly what I'm thinking...for what my situation is for this...I think electric is the way to go. Thanks

8. Jon Wilkens

Well, he's not the GOAT. So no problem there. lol

This is within city limits, sadly, a goat would not be allowed. Plus, I don't go to the shop every day...heck, I may not see it for weeks at a time. lol But dang, a shop goat would be epic.

9. Jon Wilkens

Let me guess...you are totally clueless about this entire situation. Scroll on...

BrentA likes this.
  10. Jon Wilkens

If you saw the weed patch it needs to "cut"..."ok" is just fine with me. lol

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How many just burst into flames on their own the way batteries are doing?
    Bad comparison.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of Ego stuff, it's all great. Also have a Greenworks riding mower, also great. For the OP it sounds like run time is no issue, and as to the question of performance- all the electric crap I have is more powerful than the gas equivalents I've owned. I must be the luckiest SOB on earth...none of the lithium batteries in my lawn equipment, cell phone, or the 20 or so other cordless tools has spontaneously combusted as of yet.

Jon Wilkens and scottn like this.
  13. Tristan

I use my Ego push mower (self propelled but it's so light it's not needed) for the areas of my yard that are too tight for the rider, totaling probably twice what you need to mow. The 7.5 ah battery only needs charged every 3-4 uses.
    I'm sure for your shop needs any Ryobi/Kobalt/whatever stuff would suffice, but can promise you that once you try it you'll be wanting more for your home use, so just go ahead and get the Ego stuff. Don't be like me with 5-6 different brands of batteries...

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  14. Tristan

The thing that goes thru batteries quickest is the blower, but 765 cfm will blow over small children with ease

JBall, Jon Wilkens and Razr like this.
  15. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

Ryobi... I have the small mower and it works. Bonus is that the battery is the same for all of the other cordless tools I have.

SuddenBraking and Jon Wilkens like this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I think part of it will also depend on how long you let the grass get and how thick it is. My neighbor had an Ego. Every time he mows, it looks like it needs to be bailed. It just doesn’t seem to have the power/blade speed to mulch it well.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  17. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

If you go cordless, see if you cqan find one that uses the batteries you already have for your drills.

BrentA and Jon Wilkens like this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I have a Toro that I've used for the last few years. Works fine but bagging sucks. No issues with battery life and I have the blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer as well. I'd buy them again but I'd opt for the next mower up if it bags better.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  19. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

I've been using a Dewalt electric mower for at least 4 years now, it isn't even a production unit and its never let me down. I got rid of my gas mower after year 1 and never looked back. My lot is only 1/8 acre and I rotate between two batteries. Sometimes I get it done with one pack, but only when I switched from mulching to bagging mode.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  20. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Reel mowers are beer powered and they very rarely spontaneously combust and kill you and the neighbors

969 likes this.