1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric mower

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I have a very small green (lets be real, they are weeds) space at my new shop that will be need to be kept in check. I was thinking just doing a electric mower/weedeater/blower combo and not have to deal with gas. I've never even seen one operate to see how well they work or how long they last on a charge. Which ones are the decent ones? The ones to avoid? Any insight or knowledge would be much appreciated!

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

One of the people I do work for has the Ego brand of electric equipment. They do not have a lawnmower, but the weedeater, chainsaw, and hedge trimmer works extremely well. The weed eater has the best line loading process I’ve ever used, they are 56 V and last a long time.

Murcielago311 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Buy a used, cheap gas mower from Craigslist or face tubes market space and a gallon of gas. Cheaper.

sharkattack and Rebel635 like this.
  4. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

‘eff electric lawn mowers.

Search Craigslist for a 2stroke Lawnboy. Add Motul for the premix and pretend you are on a GP500 setting up Dohan at Mugello for a pass every time you are cutting the grass.

5. Jon Wilkens

I don't want to deal with gas in my work shop (work, not personal shop). This is not about money.

6. Jon Wilkens

I don't want to deal with gas (let alone pre-mix) in my work shop (work, not personal shop). It is going to be MUCH easier to just keep it charged, vs having to remember if I got enough fuel (then have to go get it if needed). Mowing the weeds will be opportunistic type of deal.

Electric powered stuff is not the devil...very handy. It's not green, nor care. This is about ease of use and no fuse.

Do you have any actual input on electric mower usage?

BrentA likes this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

I am seeing a lot of good reviews on EGO stuff...appreciate the input.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

In a choice between storing gas inside or charging batteries inside
    I'm not sure which is the better choice.
    See YouTube thread for more.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Some of My neighbors have the corded electric mowers and they work well enough. Dude across the way has a battery one, seems to work. I should see if it has an actual blade or is one of those string types.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  10. VR45 Troll

I have personal experience with corded and battery powered lawn mowers and I would rather use a reel push mower like my grandfather did than use electric bullshit.

I hate EV’s unless they are golf carts that you rent at a Sporting Clays club even then I’d rather trailer my gasoline powered Kubota side x side and drive it around. I’m not a golf guy but EV’s are good there too.

11. Jon Wilkens

not about what's needing to be stored. It's about what's needed to simply operate at a moments notice. Just less fuss and no mess.

Do you have any actual electric mower usage?

12. Jon Wilkens

Ok, so can you give input on actual usage (good/bad)? I don't care whether you like EV stuff or not....that is not the question. Thanks

BrentA likes this.
  13. Jon Wilkens

For what I have to keep up on...a good string version would probably do the trick...not sure what issues come with that vs blade. Still researching.

14. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

been using a self propelled ego lawnmower with blades for last 3 years as cut in for the close spots and under trees and some other bigger uses with no problems. also have ego leaf blower, weed eater and chainsaw. each battery fits the other just different size/amphr

BrentA and Jon Wilkens like this.
  15. VR45 Troll

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How small is “very small”?

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My son lives in one of my rentals so I bought him a Ryobi from HD for around $350 and he said it's been perfect. It's a small yard.

Jon Wilkens, SuddenBraking and motion like this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've been using a Ryobi 22" for the past 4 years or so and love it. I have about 1/2 acre of grass to mow. I have to recharge the battery midway thru cutting, so gives me a chance to take a break.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  19. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Jon,

One of my top pet peeves on the internet is when I ask for help doing X, and all I get are responses telling me why I should not want to do X.

BrentA, beac83 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  20. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

What if you planted some wildflowers and not have to mow at all?

BrentA and Jon Wilkens like this.