1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2023 | Race 7 | Sachsenring | Germany | June 15 - 17

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jun 12, 2023.

1. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Linn has sidelined The GOAT 2x in his carrier. Rossi lead Yamaha out of the dark and then when he returned he did the same both times he left when Jarvis made him second string. ‘eff Linn Jarvis. The Goat could be doing what Zarco is doing. I bet a dollar.

Puig a a lap dog to Marquez. Yes he has made some wise (lucky?) decisions to bring on talent but NOBODY is going to say “no” to Marc Marquez. NNNOOOO BBBBOOODY. Now all of the development money went to make a “Marc Bike” that no one else can safely ride and Marc has had his eggs scrambled a few times too many and wha-lah Honda cannot win a race.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I'm onboard with the Honda pulling out theory. For whatever reason, it just seems like a likely scenario.
    Since saying damn near anything is considered political and ban worthy these days, without going any further the company as a whole is on a completely different track than Soichiro would be happy with. I can see them pivoting to MotoE. Or nothing.

SundaySocial and 27 like this.
  3. VR45 Troll

Tiny Aprilia is competitive. There is nothing stopping Honda except Honda from doing the same.

27 likes this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I fully agree. Honda has the engineering might to be the top dog. Easily.
    If they wanted to.
    I don't think they have any desire to.

27 likes this.
  5. VR45 Troll

Honda would be better off without the Marquez clan.

Honda of India (Hero) and Honda Brasil sell millions of 125-150cc motorcycles. They are crazy for racing, Cricket and Futebol (soccer) in those places. I do not have personnel experience with Honda in Thailand, Singapore etc. but I bet they sell a few there too. It would be a let down for a lot of people if Honda took their ball and went home.

BigBird, cpettit and 27 like this.
  6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The TV coverage this year made it look like a go-kart track stuffed behind a shopping mall that needs the parking lot repaved

7. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Can Honda and Yamaha finish so poorly that they become eligible again for engine and testing concessions like Suzuki and Ape had?

8. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Thank you. I’ve been trying to find time to post this myself. Anybody wondering why the Honda is difficult to ride and performing poorly doesn’t have to look any farther than Marc, he said so himself. I honestly don’t see where he can be upset with the situation as he is the one who created it. I also don’t see why anyone else would want him at this point, he appears to be toxic to a team if he isn’t winning in an attempt to gain any advantage possible. It also seems like besting Rossi’s championship total is all consuming for him.

The win at all costs attitude shouldn’t be a surprise though. I don’t know much of his career prior to 125’s but suspect he didn’t lose often. Meaning for the first time in his life he is no longer winning and has no idea how to cope with defeat.

27 likes this.
  9. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

I think Honda has an engine problem disguised as an electronics problem, and electronics problem disguised as a chassis problem, and an aero problem in general.

the engine makes power fine, but I think the character kills grip on throttle open, and it’s too aggressive for the electronics to control. The electronics then lack in general, and they search for a chassis solution that will never be enough to make up for the deficit of the inherit engine characteristics. Finally they’re spending so much time running circles on the chassis they’re years behind on aero development. If they leave it won’t be because they can’t figure it out, it’ll be because a legitimate solution for them is 3-5 years out. Crafar has pointed out the engine thing before, and you can hear how different the Honda sounds even to the other V4’s in person.

Honda got here because they got lazy. While Marc was winning, Honda found time by make the bike more aggressive, until it spit him off and even he couldn’t ride it. Meanwhile ducati found time with aero innovation, and technical genius that made the bike easier to go faster, and Honda have to go back to designing a tame-able engine before moving on to a chassis that will actually work in conjunction with the aero package.

BigBird, YamahaRick and 27 like this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If reconstructed MM wins another championship on a satellite bike at this point in his career, he deserves the GOAT title. I don't see any way that is going to happen. Even if he can get out of his contact and is willing to move to a Satellite Duc next year, he won't win the title his first year on the bike due to inconsistency and crashes. Every year after that, he will get older, his reactions a little slower, and his body more injured.

cbush likes this.
  11. VR45 Troll

LOL No, Marc will never ever be the GOAT
    Some Rossi facts

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/11/13/valentino-rossi-facts-stats-and-trivia/401495

Valentino Rossi: facts, stats and trivia
    Thanks to Martin Raines and nick-harris.co.uk, here's a long list of stats about The Doctor's phenomenal career in Grand Prix racing
    Tags MotoGP, 2021, GRAN PREMIO MOTUL DE LA COMUNITAT VALENCIANA, Valentino Rossi, GrazieVale
    Thanks to Martin Raines and nick-harris.co.uk, here are a whole host of facts, stats and trivia surrounding Valentino Rossi's wonderful career.

- Rossi and Phil Read are the only riders to win world titles in the 125, 250 and 500cc classes. (Note: Marc Marquez has won titles in 125cc, Moto2™ and MotoGP™)

- Valentino Rossi is the only rider to have won World Championships in four classes: 125, 250, 500 and MotoGP™.

- Rossi and Giacomo Agostini are the only two riders to have won premier class titles on both two-stoke and four-stroke machinery.

- His win at the 2004 season-opening GP in South Africa made him the first rider to take back-to-back premier class victories on different makes of bike.

- In 2004 he became only the second rider to win back-to-back premier class titles on different makes of machinery. Eddie Lawson was the first, winning on a Yamaha in 1988 and a Honda in 1989.

- He holds the record for successive premier class podiums, scoring 23 successive top-three results from the Portuguese GP in 2002 to the South Africa GP in 2004.

- Rossi had the honour of scoring the 500th victory for Honda when he won the Japanese 500cc GP in April 2001.

- Rossi has won GP races on seven different motorcycles: 125cc Aprilia, 250cc Aprilia, 500cc Honda, 990cc Honda, 990cc Yamaha, 800cc Yamaha and 1000cc Yamaha.

- His eleven wins in 2005 is the highest number of premier class victories in a single season by a Yamaha rider

- He is the only rider to win five or more successive premier class races on a Yamaha.

- He is the only rider in history to have won five or more successive races on two different makes of bike (Yamaha and Honda).

- He is Yamaha’s most successful rider of all time with 56 race victories on their bikes.

- His 89 race victories in the premier class are more than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix racing (second on this list is Giacomo Agostini with 68 premier-class wins).

- He has won 115 GP races across the three classes. Only Giacomo Agostini with 122 wins has stood on the top step of the podium more in Grand Prix racing.

- Valentino Rossi’s third place finish at Jerez in 2020 was the 199th time he has stood on the podium in the premier-class, more than any other rider (second on this list is Jorge Lorenzo with 114 premier-class podiums).

- He has been on the podium 235 times across all classes, which is more than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix racing (second on this list is Giacomo Agostini with 159 Grand Prix podiums).

- The Valencia GP will be Rossi’s 432nd Grand Prix start. This means that he has taken part in 44.4% of all Grand Prix events that have taken place since the world championship series began in 1949. (The rider with second most GP starts is Andrea Dovizioso with 332 by the end of 2021).

- Rossi’s final total of premier class GP starts will be 372 including the race in Valencia; this is more than any other rider (second in the list is Alex Barros with 245 premier class GP starts).

- Rossi has the longest winning career in the premier class of GP racing, with his latest win at the Dutch TT in 2017 coming 16 years 351 days after his first 500cc GP win at Donington in 2000 (the rider with second longest winning career in the premier class is Alex Barros – 11 years 204 days).

- He also has the longest winning GP career across all classes; 20 years 311 days between his first GP victory in the 125cc class at Brno in 1997 and his last GP win at Assen in 2017 (second in this regard is Loris Capirossi with a GP winning career of 17 years 49 days).

- During his career Rossi has competed at 38 different Grand Prix circuits.

- Of these 38 circuits, he has taken at least one GP win at 29 of the circuits. No other rider in the history of motorcycle Grand Prix racing has won at as many different circuits as Rossi.

- The circuits at which Rossi has had most GP wins are Catalunya and Assen where he has won ten times at each of these two circuits.

- In the premier class Rossi has competed at 29 different circuits.

- He has won in the premier class at 23 of these 29 circuits.

- The circuit where Rossi has had most premier class wins is Assen, with eight.

- The circuit at which Rossi has made most Grand Prix appearances is Jerez, where he has made 27 GP starts across the three classes, including 23 in the premier class.

- During his Grand Prix career Rossi has shared the podium with 55 different riders. The rider he has stood on the podium with most often is Jorge Lorenzo – 53 times.

- In the premier class Rossi has shared the podium with 38 different riders.

- The last time that Rossi shared a podium with a rider older than himself was at the 2008 Czech Grand Prix, that rider being Loris Capirossi.

- With Valencia being Valentino Rossi’s last event it will very likely be the last time that a rider born in the 1970s will start a Grand Prix race.

- There are three riders Rossi has shared a premier class podium with without standing on a higher step: Alex Rins, Fabio Quartararo and Stefan Bradl.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

Who?

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

All the constructors use mechanical ride-height systems. I didn't say anything about traction control.

p.s. I see it now: "Ducati has a technology step in ride height/weight transfer/traction assist electronics technology" read to me like electronics technology applies to all three sectors.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  14. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

'Sup, Uccio.

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Man, that Kleenex is FULL!.... :crackup:

27 likes this.
  16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If you look at who has the most world titles, Agostini is way ahead of Rossi, Rossi is actually 3rd :D

17. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I don't doubt for a minute the desire is there, but as big as Honda and HRC are, I can only imagine the layers of management and presentations that have to get green lit before changes are actually put into place. And then when they are put into place, they're tested to death and THEN they're brought to Rins and Marc and Mir to try. And that takes months.

I'd be willing to bet Ducati and Aprilia for instance - want a change - make a prototype, verify it's safe with a quick spin around the block, put it on 4 of the 8 Ducatis and race with it to verify it's an improvement. If it is, they all get it within 3 races. Rapid development. If it's not better, its scrapped right away. Smaller ships steer much faster.

BigBird likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where is Robby-Bobby? I think I just smelled fresh Uccio meat.

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Bit of a change has happened over the years. I once read that it took Honda roughly six weeks to design and race the 250 6 in the 1960's.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That’s because Soichiro was there.