1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not drinking much lately

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 22, 2023.

1. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

If you live long enough, you might catch some.
    Individual results vary.

Phl218, Gino230 and BigBird like this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dammit I keep missing. Not gonna give up though.

Phl218, Gino230, BigBird and 3 others like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, you've also not been writing dumb shit about Rossi so…

YamahaRick, motion and BigBird like this.
  4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Took me a long time to catch some!

BigBird, Boman Forklift and R Acree like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm a lot like you. The last measurable amount of alcohol I have had recently was maybe half a cup of champagne the last time people forced me to celebrate my birthday 20 years ago. I also took one sip of wine maybe five years ago to confirm that it was still nasty and get my cousin to leave me alone.

skidooboy likes this.
  6. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, alcohol sucks. Most of it has been covered already. It messes with your sleep. Affects protein synthesis and therefore muscle growth, so it's thwarting some of your efforts if you're working out. Your body prioritizes alcohol metabolization over everything else - (e.g. fats and carbs). It has some fairly direct links to cancer. Alcoholic drinks themselves have virtually no nutritional value and just have a bunch of carbs, sugars, and calories.

Earlier this year, the World Health Organization published a statement that, "No level of alcohol consumption is safe for our health". In other words, the old adage about a glass of wine a day being good for your heart just isn't true.
    https://www.who.int/europe/news/ite...of-alcohol-consumption-is-safe-for-our-health

I have never been a heavy drinker, but I was always a regular drinker. I'd drink 1 beer every night while reading before bed. I recently cut 95%+ of it out. Easily lost 10lbs in less than 2 months (albeit while working out and dieting simultaneously). Sleep has improved significantly.

Anyway, here's my advice I didn't see covered, yet. Non-alcoholic drinks have come a long way. If you drink for the taste and not for the buzz, then non-alcoholic options are the ticket. I absolutely fall into the former category and hardly ever drink enough to even get buzzed, nevertheless drunk. There are a ton of awesome non-alcoholic beers out there. Some of them are good enough that you'd never know it was non-alcoholic if I just handed you one and didn't say anything. Non-alcoholic wines are great; both red and white. My nighttime go-to is now Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher- it's literally just flavored sparkling water. 0 carbs, 0 calories, 0 alcohol.

RichB, BigBird, Phl218 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

One thing I try to remember is Alcohol is poison to the body when taken internally. The body doesn't like it at all. Yes, some like the effect of drunkenness (I did in my young adult days) but over all the body doesn't from a health perspective.

I believe the anecdotal benefits of red wine are out weighed by the harmful effects of the alcohol itself if the consumption level gets over 2 glasses.

That said, I do still enjoy the occasion beer, glass of red, and margaritas! :beer:

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The French wine lobby has a lot of input into spreading that BS over the years. A daily glass of wine is good for everything, including your heart, your skin tone, your erections, your dog licking your face more often, your ability to find empty parking spots, how loud your neighbor's kids are, sunny weather on weekends, etc.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dammit, I don't like whine, but finding those parking spaces is enticing.

10. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

PURE BLASPHEMY!

Screenshot_20230222-102348.png Screenshot_20230222-101217.png Screenshot_20230222-101319.png

What's the point of living... Lol:crackup:

Screenshot_20230222-101402~2.png Screenshot_20230222-101237.png

:beer::timeforabeer:

rd400racer, Sabre699 and sdg like this.
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I wish I could get on the wine and bourbon wagon, but the shits nasty.

Having said that, a friend of mine loves champagne and typically brings a bottle or two over when she comes. Good lord I can drink the shit out it!

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Have you had an Aperol Spritz? I'd never drank one until Italy last summer and man, I can down them by the gallon:D

Phl218 likes this.
  13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

My head hurts thinking about that.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

YEP! :crackup: She makes those too.

Damn tasty!

rd400racer likes this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I only drink red wine in the winter months, theres a red wine finished in a bourbon barrel thats bad ass.

Cooper & Thief

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

today is national margarita day...

Evad101 likes this.
  17. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Check out the Huberman lab podcast on alcohol for the facts… great info over there

Rebel635 and gixxerboy55 like this.
  18. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Allopurinol for the gout flares.
    Going on 10 years without a flare. 10mg a day.

skidooboy likes this.
  19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

20. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m on my third margarita this evening. I don’t enjoy them at all, I’m just doing my duty to honor margarita day.

JBall and Sabre699 like this.