1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Phoenix. Pool or nah?

Discussion in 'General' started by shakazulu12, Jan 12, 2022.

1. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I feel like everyone saying shade and misters doesn't actually live in phoenix.
    Its too hot, shade doesn't help.
    Misters are ok, but they make everything wet in order to be enough to deal with the heat. So it feels like florida.

cpettit likes this.
  2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Funny this topic comes up. I was recently at the airport and saw the pet restroom . . . and curiosity got the best of me. I turned the corner and the smell was overwhelming. Before I had to egress, I saw a hydrant and faux grass but the smell . . . :Puke:

3. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

https://waterguru.com/pages/sense

This is the most awesome pool product.. I got this 2 years ago because I was falling behind on chemical maintenance weekly. Anyway, this damn thing tests everyday for FC and pH. When it gets out of the normal zone, sends you an alert and gives you recommendations on how to fix it.

[​IMG]

BigBird and L8RSK8R like this.
  4. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Going on 21 years for me and I'm about the same.

Granted, no one goes in the pool too much in the middle of the day in July, but evening lounging in the pool is nice.

Get a pool, hire a pool service, you will appreciate having the pool if/when you go to sell the home.

Wingnut and SuddenBraking like this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

live in FL, same house since 1999 with a pool. Bet i've been in it 10 times total in the 20+ years. If i had young kids, i could see it as a benefit, but all i do is pay a co. $80/month to take care of it once a week, and $10,000 last year to have it resurfaced (built in 1983) .. looking for a place closer to where i ride bikes in the woods, won't be looking for a house with a pool..

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

That’s not what misting systems are designed to do.

7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

My brother bought a place in Palm Springs. I guess it may have been the model home for the community.
    It's the only one with a private pool.
    While the home was in escrow some fooker stole the pool heater. He hasnt replaced it.
    My brother had a guy clean the pool regularly.
    Never once has he set foot in the pool, probably dipped his toe in it a few times.
    There are 6 community pools that I use if I'm out visiting him.
    His pool never warms to a comfortable temperature which shocks me, 115f summer temps.

It looks great and is definitely an added bonus should he decide on selling the place.

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

During the covid shit my wife listed a house with a killer pool/patio set up in our neighborhood and tacked 100k on to what she thought the value was. Sold it in 4 days. Later that year she listed one two doors down for normal price (no pool) and didn’t get an offer for months. People like the pool these days.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That's strange. 86-88F is my preferred temperature, and my pool is about that for the majority of July and August where I'm at (sun exposure all day, though).

I really can't wrap my head around living somewhere as hot as Arizona and not having a pool, though. What do you do when you have people over for a barbecue? Just stand around and sweat? o_O

KneeDragger_c69 and Skter505 like this.
  10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Although currently in Sedona it looks like I'll be moving back to the PHX suburbs full time once again.
    Get a pool. Get a hot tub. Get a fire pit. Set up an outside BBQ/kitchen with a TV. We used them ALL the time in AZ.

racesbikes likes this.
  11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Don’t most of the McMansion communities have a neighborhood pool nowadays?

12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Stand around inside and drink beer while one poor sob runs back and forth to the grill.
    Or better yet, we have them at the lakes.

13. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

Different part of the country (Michigan). When my bride wanted our current house because of the pool, I thought she was nuts and expected lots of frustrations and expense.

We've loved it. Yes, it's a short season (late May through Sept), and we have to heat it all Summer to keep it at 88 degrees (perfect temp, never have to "work" your way in). But we entertain a lot, and it gets regular use all Summer long. Nothing better than grabbing a beer, a pool noodle and floating around for an hour after work or after a long run.

My bride has it down to a science. Her rule is 5-10 min. a day, and as a result, we almost never get behind on the chemicals. Of course, we don't have Southern/Western heat. Hell, we use a solar cover all Summer to help keep the heat in the pool. Michigan Winters suck, but the Summers are totally worth it.

Don't think we'll ever have another home without one.

Your mileage may vary.

14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I think I've decided to simply pick the house that I like the most. If it happens to have a pool out back, then I'll just cross that bridge when I get there. Seeing as how the majority of homes in the price range I'm looking in seem to have them, looks like I'll probably end up with one.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  15. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

If you decide you want a pool buy a house with one, don't build later, way too expensive and they'll take a year plus. Especially since Rona kicked off. If you have kids get a pool. I have a pool and where I am in AZ you're either in the pool or on the river if you want to be outside in the summer. Also do my own maintenance and it's maybe 15 minutes a week and couple times a year an hour to clean the DE grids. Trouble free pool as mentioned before is a great reference.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you end of with a pool and dont want to mess with it so much re: chemicals look at switching it to salt water.

BigBird and Yzasserina like this.
  17. SuddenBraking

This guy gets it.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

1. It will get about a brazillion degrees, especially in Phoenix.

2. The crushed granite substrate will absorb and hold onto the urine crystals so that your yard reeks like the Ellsworth-Federal subway station in south Philly.

3. Your dogs will develop chronic diarrhea from not having access to grass to self regulate their stools.

I've seen the above play out in approximately a hundred yards around DFW.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

10/10 reference.

20. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

damn you're keeping the FC high, for my residential pools I keep them about 3, commercial I keep at 5, also I would bump up your CYA to 60ppm.

BigBird likes this.