1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla repair costs are the bomb

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

he has a vid with a 30 min phone call with them trying to purchase lug nut caps

just the freakin caps

the person on the phone was acting as if he tried to purchase rocks from Jupiter

Sweatypants likes this.
  2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ya and when somebody pisses you off and you try to roll humming noise it's not near as fun.

Gorilla George and Ducati89 like this.
  3. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Not that I can beat a Tesla in acceleration but my truck has around 550 horse. The Tesla driver will win the race but lose his mind seeing a huge black cloud in his rear view.

4. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Huh, interesting. Know a lot of diesel engines that make it 500,000 miles with only oil changes? :D

5. Adam.B

Adam.B Member

Tesla doesn’t sell new batteries on the older vehicles. Mainly because the battery size has increased and older ones are discontinued.

You can buy a reman, but what they’ll do is find pack with similar cac rating( miles per charge) that’s currently in the vehicle. That pack cost is around $15K and the mileage per charge will remain shitty.

Most the vehicles that need a pack replacement out of warranty are Model S 85’s. You can upgrade to a 90kwh pack, but you’ll need to change out suspension springs to accommodate the increased weight. That option is around $22K.

I’ve heard that company based out of Texas repairing customers packs for a fraction of the cost.

Dropping a Tesla battery is quick. 30 minutes is reasonable amount of time. The battery is mounted underneath the floor pan. Biggest struggle is once the pack is removed, you need Gantry crane to move it.

In regards to Lexus CT200h, those packs are tiny maybe 10 miles at best of range and NiMH batteries not lithium.

Sweatypants and Ducati89 like this.
  6. Ducati89

Without emissions nonsense? Yeah, older cummins like mine.

Care to continue to challenge? Because Im sure its easier to find cummins parts stateside than it is waiting for batteries from Chy-nuh due to supply chain issues.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Ducati89

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

my only two experiences with them are my brother... who doesn't do anything mechanic at all in his life. so he calls, they come to his house for mobile service, and he seems happy... even with the few odd things that they had to warranty out of sheer shitty ass QC from the factory, he seems content and never touches it.

the other is my buddy who was a service writer at Tesla and has been wrenching on race cars for 25 years and is now an IT programmer after putting himself thru college, along with my other buddy there who was a sr. mechanic and a team lead at Lexus for like 15 years before that. the service writer/IT guy's 3 is hooked up pretty dope and he DGAF about dealing with Tesla for anything, even after leaving. the other guy could probably build a car from a single piece of billet. i dunno if he owns one personally, but i imagine he also doesn't have those problems.

i guess its the middle ground guy who does JUST ENOUGH of stuff and just wants new lug nuts, that would get the most frustrated if those are the two spectrum ends haha.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

:crackup:

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The last 2012 tesla model S I drove that should have 250 mile range was fully charged at 175miles of range. Even shows the battery at 3/4 full, but charging is complete. Car has less then 75,000 miles on it. This is one example of MANY.

As for replacing the battery yourself, thats fine and dandy if your so inclined like most of the people on here would be. The general population? Not so much.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  11. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I love my Finnish brothers :beer:

12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You literally said it will cost you more in oil changes over 500k than a replacement 7k battery pack. When your glue sniffing math was shown to be wrong you're response is quoted below.

you sir, are a moron.

418 and Gorilla George like this.
  13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Don't think so, but when I had my drift car I needed a small battery that would fit near the intercooler pipes. I got the strongest riding mower one they had and used that. Whatever the warranty was, I'd go exchange it right before that if it was starting to act up. I think I went thru like 3 or 4 at the cost of like 1 haha. Those were great.

Ducati89 likes this.
  14. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Then you challenged him to the wrong race. :D Challenge those clowns to an 800 mile race. Rules are must stay at speed limit. My truck will go a bit over 400 miles on a tank ave. 1 10min pit stop and done. How many times would a tesla have to recharge to do 800 miles?

15. Ducati89

The tune I have and road tires, nursed at 63 mph I can get near 700 miles.

I got from Millsboro De. to Murell's Inlet Sc. using just over half a tank and that was a 496 mile trip doing 70mph.

16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

My f150 will do that on one tank if I’m nice to it. 2.7 eco and the 136l tank. And that real world. I’ve done that a few times.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well I recently found the first car that could make my bladder say uncle on a rad trip. 610 miles from full to almost empty on 16 gallons. A turbo with no hybrid assistance...Tesla still has a long way to go to catch up.

Almost empty becasue I couldn't take it any more and had to stop to whizz...

18. Ducati89

What car?

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A 80,000 mile 2015 Volvo S60 T5. Now I should state that 30 of those miles may have come from the oil it consumed. I wouldn't call modern eco engines environment friendly.The oil control rings in them are shit.

I suspect the cats will die before it sees 150k but it's only got to make it for 3 to 5 years before she can set it on fire and walk away from it. Plus a case of oil is still cheaper than a car note.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Ducati89 likes this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Rumble Truck died at 337k when the turbo oil line blew off at 2200 RPM. If not for the ram air hole through the side of the block, I’d still be driving that old pig.

Speaking of pigs, the purple pig is at 320-something I think.