1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla repair costs are the bomb

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Whats the disposal cost of the old unit?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

You gotta go “Rich rebuilds” levels if you wanna get close to a Tesla with a wrench in your hand

the dude is making a complete joke of that company

worth watching.
    Oh and he also LS swapped a Tesla

bored&stroked and YamahaRick like this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Right? I'm stealing it.

4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

The core charge you get back when you buy a replacement, so... nothing? unless you wanna keep your junk AND pay more.

5. Sweatypants

i'll check it out. with the more expensive cars, its not even that they're hard to work on. Teslas are simplistic. but the fact that you gotta program new shit thru the factory/dealer or they'll cut you off, and that kinda shit that's prohibitive. going the Apple/John Deere route, pissing everyone off. Same reason a Merc or Audi battery is a $400 affair instead of $120 affair at Sears. Its annoying.

6. Ducati89

Interesting. Its about $2k for the unit and shipping. But since the battery unit itself lasted only 3 years, Im not shelling 2 grand every three years. I wouldnt save enough in fuel costs to justify it.

Good try but not quite.

cav115 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. Sweatypants

results may vary i guess. my 2012 CT200h was still going strong, didn't even really notice any degridation in miles per full tank over the years. my wife drives a lot though, and i've "heard" that daily use is better for them than if you let stuff sit, so maybe that helped. too bad it was actually the headgasket that was about to cut loose this past fall, so we dumped it quick, otherwise i woulda just kept it til the wheels fell off. that was a great little car, til it wasn't. was planning on making it a spare 3rd backup car even on into the future, figuring even if the battery died and we had to drop $1500, still worth having. oh well.

8. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Well, I'm no expert on the sparky mobiles but I would imagine hybrids have much less battery than a full electric car.

Rebel635 likes this.
  9. Ducati89

Well if I got 9 years of use like you, I would reconsider.

Sweatypants likes this.
  10. Ducati89

I think the Tesla battery pack is under the interior which would require removing the chassis?

The Kia battery cell is in the trunk.

kangasj likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The Prius battery is much smaller versus the Tesla battery, hence the much lower cost. I would guess even a used Tesla battery is 8-10k?

cav115 likes this.
  12. Ducati89

$22,500 was the price quote.

Thats why in the motorcycle video, a Tesla went bOOm.

cav115 and Phl218 like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know, I read the article. I was responding to the person I quoted saying it was a rip off because Prius batteries are only 1500.

14. Ducati89

Roger dodger.

15. Sweatypants

of course it is, its a hybrid. i was responding to the $9k for the Kia more specifically, but thanks for nothing. :D

16. Sweatypants

Yea except I didn't say that and you can't actually read.

17. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Hey, you got what you paid for! ;)

18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Sears are still in business?

MachineR1 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  19. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Tesla batteries last 500,000 miles maintenance free: https://insideevs.com/news/339852/researched-data-how-long-should-a-tesla-battery-last/

Your diesel would require more in oil changes alone in that time than the cost of the replacement battery which is around $7000: https://interestingengineering.com/...3-battery-module-replacement-around-5000-7000

It's like you formed a conclusion and sought out only the most extreme information to confirm it while discounting everything else.

20. Ducati89

500,000\15,000 (diesel oil change interval) = 33.3x$110 oil change is $3663.
    Almost dawg.

Circacee, MachineR1, 418 and 5 others like this.