1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Help

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Brother in law has a Sonos setup with the wireless back speakers, he loves it and it sounds great. If I didn't already have multiple receivers I'd buy one just for the hell of it.

2. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

That is what I paid, it had been $3300 and they went on sale for another $300 off and they had it in stock.

I keep hearing good things about it, but it's on backorder everywhere as of today.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

There as TV thread, but that got deleted as I was typing....

My 7+ year old LG Plasma started dying after a few minutes on. I swapped out a board that I found for $25. It still cuts off after a few minutes, but if you turn it right back on now, it stays on now. Still told the wife I need a OLED ... In reality, i'll be ok with some more track time than the money for a new TV....

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Thank god that thread went away. There were too many people that thought they were way more clever than they actually are.
    This is a good TV thread.

rd400racer and BigBird like this.
  5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I don't think you can really buy a bad TV anymore. It's really splitting hairs/personal preference.

TCL's, which I believe are Amazon's value brand do a decent job. I have one I got for a cheaper Zwift screen...works well.

But other than that, I've had good luck the last ~20 years with Samsung TV's. Back in the bad old DLP days, I had a 61 inch Samsung DLP as my family room TV.
    I heard "horror stories" about the DLP bulbs going up, and being an expensive replacement....but I had that TV for almost 10 years I think and never had a problem.
    It was still working like a champ when I gave it to a friend of mine. I replaced it with another Samsung 60 0r 65 because I just wanted the new slimmer TV for that space in my house.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Like we can trust anyone from Wis…uhh, never mind, nothing to see here, ha-ha…

7. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Just bought a Samsung 75" NeoQled QN85A TV $2k preBlack Friday sale Best Buy. Amazing picture and paired with Samsung Q950T Soundbar creates Q-Symphony. Today saw Samsung NeoQled QN90A on sale at Amazon $2300 shipped.

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

TCL's are fantastic.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think the LG C1 is the next TV for me, if the plasma really dies.

10. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I considered the LG C1. It too is on sale for Pre-Black Friday at $3k- concerns I had included burn-in (wife leaves CNN on for hours), brightness (living room has lots of 6' windows) and not enough clearance for a Sound bar. Gorgeous picture with deep black though. Compared the units side-by-side. Samsung's new QLED is definitely closing the gap between OLED and LED.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Having plasmas since 2005, haven't had burn-in that ever stayed.

So thankfully I'm not really worried about that aspect. I'm only looking at a 65", so on sale it's a bit cheaper. I don't like the TV being the entire focal point of the room and potentially blocking the windows, etc.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

My research a few months ago revealed a lot of issues with Hisense. The Hisense subreddit is full of them.

BigBird likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my buddy just bought a Samsung QLED... the Bravia has notably better color in person BUT he got the Samsung for 60% of the Sony so no ragrets.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Don't have the 75" TCL, but have multiple 65" and a few other random sizes (55", a few 42", etc.).

They're fantastic.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I saw some of that. And even some video comparisons between this TCL 6 series and the higher class Hisense U8G and it looked a tad bit better than that. I may be leaning towards the TCL I think.

17. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

do new TVs still have that auto smoothing bullshit setting that makes you feel drunk?

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Most all of them have some sort of motion smoothing/interpolation. Its very easy to switch off on them all as well. Usually its on a sliding scale where you can ramp it up or down in increments so you can tune it.

19. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

It seems like, as of now, TCL is probably the better brand than Hisense. They’re better reviewed by HT YouTubers and have better ratings on rtings.com.

BigBird likes this.
  20. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I would go with the TCL- 6 Series over Hisense.