1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Help

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Sep 13, 2021.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Normally a few before he goes to put a new one back there and finds the couple he already put there and forgot about..

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Their Surround Set looks pretty jazzy. I have the sound bar previous to the Arc, and it's still amazing. I like that you can set up different rooms and outdoor stuff wirelessly and I can control it all from my phone. The sound bar, sub and Move will move the pictures on the mantle. :D

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Gorilla George, dtalbott and noles19 like this.
  4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Rebel635, ToofPic and dtalbott like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm way out of date on the latest in TVs other then when I go to drop the kid off at practice there's a guy dropping off his kid driving a Samsung Oled wrapped van and apparently that's his entire business. Selling, installing and maintaining them. Probably more (sound systems, wiring, all that shit) but it's a brand new, top of the line MB van most times and a small MB van another.

The kid brought home a 60" pioneer elite plasma tv a few months back. Probably made the year she was born and it was priced right at free. Between that, the Denon reference DVD player I had and the garage sale Yamaha receiver we got and some ancient polk speakers, she has a system that would have cost BMW 3 series way back. :crackup: I think we have $40 into the whole set up.

I am waaaayyyyy out of the loop on AV shit anymore.

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

The plasma TV keeps your home warm in the winter. And is hell on your AC system during the summer.

Enjoy the toaster.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Pretty much....and modern OLED match up to its ability to recreate blacks but blow them out of the water in contrast and HDR obviously since Plasma's are old and I don't think any even support HDR-10(+) or Dolby Vision (don't quote me on that).

8. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I didn’t go through all the posts but I just wanted to follow up on the “is it worth it” questions. A relative of mine has spent his whole life in the electronics industry at the C-suite level. I have 2 pioneer elite tvs hanging in my house, for those that don’t know they were the Ferrari of TVs.

My relative has replaced his elites and I’ll be doing it soon. whether something is of value to you is subjective, to me, it’s worth it.
    Lastly, which I’ve posted in other tv threads. Be careful with what you’re looking at in the the stores. They put the TVs on display mode, known as burner mode in the industry. Everything is super bright.

9. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I've waited a long time to have a real TV/Movie room like this, I think I'm going to go big and get the LG OLED. Now I just need to figure out the sound system to go with it.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn't Crutchfield just have a stupid awesome sale on Oleds? I remember seeing emails from them but since I wasn't in the market for a new TV I just ignored them. Might even still be going on.

I'm a total fan boy of Crutchfields so keep that in mind but I'd rather give them my money then Amazon or some big box store.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What is your primary feed for movies and audio? Budget? Multi room or just your theater?

Damn, just checked out Crutchfield and they have Rotel, B&W, McIntosch, Arcam in addition to Yamaha, Onkyo and Marantz (love their stuff but it's all showing out of stock).

12. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I have an opinion on this as well , take it for what it’s worth. I’ve had both in wall and external speakers and subs.
    My next room will have front and center externals and an external subwoofer.

my current house is all in wall which I like and is nice an clean, but the sub quality lacks.

13. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Budget is like anything else, I understand to take advantage of the high end TV/PS5/4K stuff I'll need a high end soundbar/system to match, but I don't have any idea how to rank high end systems.

I don't really care about the multi room stuff, this would just be for the TV room.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Do you want bookshelf speakers all around or the "old standard" of two floors (front), two bookshelfs (rears), a center and a sub? I'd probably do two center channels (one front, one rear) now.

Man, my standard go to is Marantz 5.2 or a 7.2 (SR5015 is what always is in my dreams), find a used OPPO DVD player to use as a CD/ DVD player and 4 B&W 60x series bookshelves and two centers, a great sub (I liked and bought Def Tech when the Sunfire I had proved to be way too much) and most important, a Panamax line conditioner. That's be my "F you, I got a lot of money but I'm also smart with it" set up. If I was doing more audio but still doing surround, I might switch out the 6's for 7's.

You could do an Onkyo and B&W, PSB (a bit flat to me) or (if they are still around) Paradigms (I loved their old reference series).

Yamaha (always seemed too flat and "neutral" to me) with Klipsh (the horns sounded harsh to me). They seemed to be paired perfectly.

After all that, just do not buy Bose.

Edit: Oh, Denon! Denon kicks ass!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  15. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck…. Sorry, that was too easy

16. In my bonus room I have a Denon receiver, a pair of Klipsch floor speakers plus Klipsch center, front, side and rears. Also a sub in the front and two on each side of the couch. Depending on what I’m using the tv for some times using the floors instead of the fronts are better and other times not. Everyone has their own taste but spend the time tuning it to how you like it. I also have a Klipsch sound bar that’s pretty good that I will use if trying not to rattle the house down. I am actually going to move that to my office this weekend though as the 65” that is in there needs better sound.
    There is a lot of good used stuff out there on FB market etc. I usually look once a month or so to see if any deals are out there for new stuff just because it pisses my wife off but shits still cheaper than one of her damn wallets.

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. About 1/20th of all of them. :D

motoracer1100 likes this.
  19. :stupid:!!!!

20. :crackup:

noles19 likes this.