1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Help

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Sep 13, 2021.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'm moving and shopping for a big TV for a bonus room for football/movies/PS5. I'm looking at mid to high end TVs with 4k 120hz with HDMI 2.1, but I don't know anything about the different brands or even models within brands. Anyone have any good recommendations for a 75/85" TV?

And before it gets said a hundred times, a projector won't work in the room, it needs to be a TV.

If anyone would like to chime in with soundbar/audio recommendations I'd take that too.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

The Wall.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Jumbo tron or nothing

dtalbott likes this.
  4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I put a Sony A8H in the living room for uses similar to yours. I’d read that the refresh rate may be a bit slow for online gaming, but I can’t tell since I’m already used to twelve-year-olds calling me a fag when I’m on my call of duty.

Lovely television, great contrast and stellar picture quality.

henry_carlson likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I have a 75" Sony X900H. It was marketed as HDMI 2.1 4K/120Hz support, but it's a little shaky. There's some blurriness people have seen when using 4K/120 when using as a PC monitor. It's less perceivable when using Ps5 in 4K/120 though. This TV is last year's model any, the current one X90J apparently fixed that issue. In general I'm pretty happy with this TV overall though.

Curious, were you able to find a PS5 in store or did you have to buy it from scalpers?

6. ScottyRock155

Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking at the X91J Sony and it seems like a good middle ground and I can't decide if the OLED upgrade prices are worth it.

I got lucky enough to grab a PS5 off Amazon a few months ago. I tried several times without success before I got one.

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Get the LG oled. Well worth the money.

8. ScottyRock155

Is the LG OLED better than any of the other OLEDs?

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

For audio I just got a Polk Audio Magnifi MaxSR. Bar, Wireless sub and rear speakers. Paid $498 for it. It is not going to sound like an AV receiver and separate fronts, rears, center, and subs, but it sounds pretty damn good and you can stream music through it as well. It does 4K pass through, so you can connect your video source to it and then to your TV. Has an ARC HDMI for the TV connection.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The LG and Sony are both great.....better than the Vizio OLED, but you'll pay for it of course.

11. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I just looked at those prices..Hory Shrit!!! I have a 72' LG the lady bought,but have no idea what she paid.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

OLEDs look incredible, there's no denying it. They don't get quite as bright for that HDR pop and/or if its going to be in a bright sun filled room as some of the better QLEDs out there, but they certainly hold their own.....but you can't beat the deep blacks they can produce. And for the most part the problem of burn in has been highly reduced. But still I tend to think if you're a gamer the LED/QLED/miniLED is the route to take. But that's just me.

BigBird likes this.
  13. I can’t say enough good shit about the LG OLED TVs. I put a 65” in the bedroom and liked it so much that I had to put some in the dining area and living room too.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Have one in the shitter room?

ToofPic and dtalbott like this.
  15. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

He's got at least 2 in every shitter room.

Gorilla George, Ducti89 and dtalbott like this.
  16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Don't know squat about TV's, but I'm a SONOS fanboy for sound right now.

mram0256 likes this.
  17. ScottyRock155

Any specific system?

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

LG CX or whatever the newer model is.

@beac83 knows his stuff

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not quite what was asked but if it's helpful (since a few mentions of audio setups above) ,any of you lads are looking to build a respectable Dolby Atmos entry into home theater separates I chose this route and am quite pleased with the performance/price you get.....

This is normally $899, but sometimes goes on sale for $799 (for reference 1 of the tower speakers in this package alone is $699 a piece, so this is a HELLUVA deal):
    https://www.costco.com/klipsch-reference-dolby-atmos-surround-system.product.100665767.html

Similarly these subs are $249 regular, I think I picked them up last black friday they were on sale for $149 so I got 2 of them:
    https://www.costco.com/klipsch-r-12sw-reference-powered-subwoofer.product.100526745.html

I have a Sony STR-DN1080 powering it, but something like this would work equally well (keeping it all Costco haha)
    https://www.costco.com/denon-avr-s750h-7.2-channel-4k-av-receiver.product.100505535.html

20. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

How many Pistols can you hide behind a 65” TV ? :D