1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Dogs go to Heaven...

Discussion in 'General' started by Shocker, Apr 2, 2021.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Thanks everybody - definitely not a fun day. I actually held it together really well for the majority of the time leading up to the doctor getting there and even after she gave the sedative (we had the girls say goodbye before that). Then she asked if we were "ready" and I decided to see if my girls wanted one more kiss........well, let me tell you that saying "does anyone want to say goodbye to Monki for the last time?" just unleashed the waterworks from me.

Ugh, shitty day but she's up in doggie heaven with her brother Otis.

tony 340 likes this.
  2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no way of knowing if there is anything beyond the world we see, but if there is, our dogs are waiting for us there. It's what they do.

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

After we had to put Ruka down, my wife was sent this from a friend, it helped her a lot. We’re now in the process of working with two English Setters for home and upland hunting. It’s a process. I still miss Ruka every day.

…a letter written by Dr. Dani McVety…

“My Dear Family,

Today I am as I was meant to be: young, energetic, full of life, and able to explore everything around me. My legs work perfectly, there is no more pain, and I can run, jump, and play with all of my friends. Most of all, there is no regret, no aging, and no confusion.

I ask that you not grieve for the loss of what we shared but rejoice in the fact that we lived and loved each other with unconditional adoration. One touch or kiss from you, one pat on the head, one favorite treat, was all that was needed for a lifetime of unwavering commitment from me to love you and cherish you until my time had come. I am grateful and thankful that our lives merged and we were able to share such special moments together.

I will await your arrival as we are always meant to be together. Please do not hold onto the love that you shared with me, but share it with another so that I may live on forever in your heart. Remember, to have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all.

With Unconditional Love,
    Your Angel”

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Today was the hardest day of my life. 14 yr pit bull, Layla.

Went in for possible UTI a month ago and joint/arthritis checkup....Got an antibiotic and joint/pain meds because she was getting weak in the hind legs/hips.

Friday she was limping and what i thought was a swollen shoulder ...Went to ER on saturday, the swollen shoulder was a huge mass/tumor, more tumors literally appeared overnight. Baseball size mass on rear leg, golf ball size mass on her cheek, tumor under her chin......

X-ray showed cancer everywhere. Angels Paws at house today at 3.

First pet i ever had. Never thought this would be so hard.

tony 340 likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Man, so sorry to read this. 14 years is a good life, though.

noles19, tony 340 and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Sorry to hear, but it sounds like she had a great run and lived a happy life. RIP Layla.

9. gapman789

Thanks all...and yea, the best dog life IMO ever....Never chained up, never fenced in, free reign, obedient as could be....Coming home after 14 hrs of beating on rocks, wet, muddy... all that would go away when i pulled in the driveway.

Gonna be tough to get used to this...I just wanna work 24/7 and not even come home. :(

SundaySocial likes this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Focus on the all the god days you had. The bad ones are few. It always sucks but you can honor her by adopting another dog in need when you are ready. When you are ready and not a second before that. R.I.P little girl.

11. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

You guys were lucky to have each other. Condolences.

Mike Lafayette and tony 340 like this.
  12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

There's family members I'd rather lose than another dog. That shit is terrible.

Only 1 thing helps when you fall off the horse......and that is getting back on.

Go find a rescue when you are ready.

crashman likes this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Agreed with all this, and I'll add in my opinion you'll be ready before you realize you are.
    coming home from working construction all day is rough and dogs definitely help

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

This.

I made it 4 months before my new boy came into the family.

15. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear. Sending good vibes for your strength through this.

16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Angels Paws are the best. I don't know how they do that every day. We have used them for our last 3 pets that we've lost. All to cancer. My wife and I felt like we were cursed or doing something wrong that our last three pups all died from cancer and expressed this to the vet. He countered with "the reason you're dogs are dying from cancer is because of all the good treatment they get from you. Without that they would have died from something else long ago." It was blunt but makes sense and helps a little. Good on you for letting your pet pass in comfort where she belongs. It makes it so much easier on the animal than stressing them out taking them somewhere to do it.

sharkattack and SundaySocial like this.
  17. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear, this is always hard. RIP Layla. Cancer sucks! :(

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

RIP Layla. As others have said, it sounds like she lived a good life with lots of love. Dogs are better people than most people. It really sucks that they have a shorter life span.

19. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Oh shit...so sorry Gapman....just saw this......now I'm sad. RIP Layla.....

20. gapman789

Literally walked in the door today from work at 3, the time i said good bye yesterday....and the lst time in 14 yrs she wasn't there waiting for me. damn damn damn