1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Wrong thread.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

???

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

oh come on... if you consider profiting from others misfortune/bad timing/bad judgement "stealing", then get out of the stock market period.

rk97 and SuddenBraking like this.
  4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You are in the wrong thread then.
    A majority of the things talked about in this thread do exactly what you are opposed to; normies getting fucked.
    Wall Street and the "Banks" are the house, and you are gambling with crypto and some of the other "investments" here (Gamestop, etc).

There's no fundamentals to look at with crypto. No P/L for crypto. No income for crypto.
    It's 100% about the perceived value that people place on it. That feeling can/is/will be manipulated.

Keep telling yourself that and you may believe it. It's still crypto. It's without fundamentals, and you will be manipulated by it, the market or others.
    If you try to time it and get out before the crash or dip, you are going to be taking someone else's money.

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

It is a gamble, but so is crypto. You're just gambling at a higher level of risk than the other more "standard" cryptos. They will crash, but just like poker... gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. I also don't put anything into crypto that I can't walk away from. Just like racing, if you can't accept that you might take your wadded up boat anchor and throw it in the trash at the end of the day, then don't race. I still have my 401k that I contribute the max I can to. In all honesty, that's probably going to crash and burn in the next few years too!

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

See I don’t believe that the majors are without fundamentals. The internet and the products it creates (NFTs) give them value. When the bulk of the world moves online (which is already happening) the majors will be worth more than any other currency. Have you seen Facebook horizon? in 20 years when VR as ubiquitous as the oasis in ready player one it will run most of the worlds social, work, service, and communication interactions. The currency of the future online world will be crypto. THATS its fundamental. The internet isnt going anywhere. It is a commodity worth more than gold.

I could be wrong.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  7. Tristan

A lot of people believe in 20 years we'll all have flying electric cars too...

You're not wrong that certain investments are more dependent on others misfortune but it's a slippery slope- gotta draw your personal line somewhere.

BigBird likes this.
  8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I bought a considerable amount of Dogecoin when it was $.0017

i foolishly sold some when it hit $.07, but retain a good amount of doge equity.

it was always a “lottery ticket” buy. I got my money back, and am gambling with the rest of it.

stocks are just socially acceptable gambling…

BigBird, Jedb and R1Racer99 like this.
  9. Tristan

In other news... is TLRY finally climbing out of the shitter?

10. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Uhh.... hate to break it to you... but we already have them. the question is how long until the public adopts them. That’s a solid long term investment strategy as right now most people think in along the lines of “and some people think in 20 years we’ll have flying cars” when they’re already here. Keeping your finger on the pulse of innovation is where the money is at. Sure you win some you lose some. But some you’re going to win BIG. You really think the juggernauts of investing make bets? If you think of it as gambling on a fundamental level you’re already losing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  11. Tristan

RIF... I said "we'll ALL have" I just checked my garage...not there.

12. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

So you’re saying if YOU can’t go buy one right now they aren’t worth your consideration?

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The public can't drive in two dimensions...giving them a third won't make it better.

BigBird and Jedb like this.
  14. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

who says many people will be driving at all in 20 years? The rate of technological progress is exponential not linear. I doubt most people will be In self driving cars in 20, but a GOOD portion of them will be. Young people embrace technology more easily because they were born in it. It’s a solid investment.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well within the lifetime of people who are alive today, the mass private ownership of vehicles (ICE or electric) will be a thing of the past.

As soon as self driving cars can do it quicker, cheaper, and (the kicker) safer on a mass transit level, private use of human driven vehicles will step-by-step be legislated out of existence.

cortezmachine likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dreams are so funny. Reality is 20 years won't be a huge chunk different than right now. 40 might, 60 will. 20 isn't all that long. 20 years ago people were relieved the y2k implosion didn't happen :crackup:

17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Anyone had contact with a ponzi scheme?

Got a coworker that has been talking and WOW does it sound like the interviews with people skinned by scams. High returns and he wants to double his money in 3 years (greed), you now can only sign up with a mil and be in the 'millionaires club' (exclusive so don't ask) and he claims low risk because 'his guy'. The latest is rolling his company plan all the way into this guys control (prior he was in but through our plan and thus a bit more accountable, not much). I am probably wrong but this sounds an awful amount like the real life scams you see on TV. Oh and he was telling me since it is so great....I am the boring guy that does basic stuff (successfully by my needs) :Pop:

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

There’s a story about a guy who once dreamt of a racing series that the public could coukd sign up for and cut their teeth on the same tracks as the pros. With an accompanying forum where people from all over the world could come to and unite in their love of motorcycles..... dreams can become reality. I choose to keep on dreaming.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Never happened. :D

BigBird and cortezmachine like this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You greatly over estimate the rate of advancement. Simple question. Other than the addition of electronics to control the engine operation what is significantly different about a car produced today versus a car produced in the 50's? The answer is not much other than improvements to design and manufacturing. The car itself still does pretty much the same thing it did in the 50's. Your flying cars were supposed to be adopted in mass 20 years ago.

Now guess how far we are away from the Nuclear fusion dream. We've been just 10 years away for 40 years...