1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Windows

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Sep 29, 2021.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Anyone gotten a price lately? I just received a quote for 24 windows at a rental house for $19,500. I almost fell out of my chair, was thinking under 10 grand. The again I've been accused of being out of touch.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

For nearly a grand a window...i'd burn that bitch down and collect the insurance. They must be effing joking. Unless you asked for top-o-the-line triple pane gold plated frames.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

thing is retro fit windows fastened through the frame and not a fin... holy bad idea.
    Not to mention you lose all the energy savings youre trying to pay for.

Dragginass and 418 like this.
  4. rd400racer

This is a 100 year old house that has the original windows for reference.

FWIW, this company guarantees a 35% reduction in energy cost.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

So you'll break even in 524 years? Why are you replacing the windows?

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

lmao... or what do they provide if the savings arent as promised?

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Your math is off.

It’s 641 years, 7 months, 23 days and 14 minutes. Give or take.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

To send @nigel smith over with a slingshot to test the broken window theory of economic expansion. :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. rd400racer

So per the original question...has anyone actually priced windows? Speculation is wonderful, how about some facts.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I just had a BUNCH of windows replaced in two eight unit buildings almost 2 years ago. REALLY expensive, ($80,000 for almost 150 windows so almost +-$500 a window) but i had the original 1920's wood sash windows. Real pain to maintain. non stop work. I "saved" a bit using a guy that didn't have to pull permits, and went with tempered not hurricane reisitant glass, but it was really expensive. Double pane (can't even have single pane made), but that's more about cold insulating, not as much for fighting the heat we have here in FL. vinyl frames, so no maint to do..

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    TurboBlew, BigBird and rd400racer like this.
  12. TurboBlew

its more of a supply demand thing vs material cost. Many builders are buying whatever they can get their hands on because their normal suppliers are 6+ months out.
    Companies that sell Anderson have really taken to Ducati pricing... aka penetration.
    But like I said... retrofits are typically a screw job

13. nigel smith

I have not. Why are you replacing the windows? Tenants are not worthy of that kind of outlay, and new windows won't add anywhere near that value to the house. My tenants never got more than an $8.00 pane of glass and an invoice for parts and labor.

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  14. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

A more efficient rental home ultimately saves you money in HAVAC equipment cost if it runs less/under less load.

BigBird likes this.
  15. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I sell very high end windows, and our cost and lead times have been on the rise for the last 18 months. I would estimate that this year alone we have seen 15 % + increases in cost. We saw the same increase last year also. The normal yearly cost increase was 3-5%.
    I do not sell vinyl, but I know that this product has experienced the biggest cost increases and lead times late last year up through this spring were over 20 weeks!!

The lead times for my products have been 3 times what "normal" was in early 2020. I received notice this week from 3 manufacturers that all of my current delivery dates will be extended further, by 3-4 weeks. I am now looking at 18-24 week lead times!!
    This is a result of the anticipated loss of workers starting next month over the Fed mandates threatened/going into effect. Things are going to be getting really bad over the next few months.

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Because headaches. And like Kevin said, less wear on your HVAC system. Same reason I'm blowing 24" of insulation in one we're about to finish. Same reason I go in and replace all of the plumbing and electrical fixtures, doors, hardware, flooring, roof etc. Known quantities offer peace of mind, and it allows you to charge a higher rent, bringing a better tenant, in my experience.

As far as windows, they're just like everything else right now. Cost too much and take too long to get.

Wanna buy some Marvins for that joint??? :D

mastermind likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

its a 100 year old house... betting theres all kinds of other issues contributing to its inefficiency...

YamahaRick, Sabre699 and notbostrom like this.
  18. nigel smith

Old windows are an insignificant factor in climate control longevity when compared to the tenants themselves.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They are all pricey as shit right now...even the cheap shit is exspensive but still made like shit. I'm just working my way around the house replacing any rot I find. I just manufacture whatever profiles I need. The next folks that own this place can replace the windows when prices come back down to at least to fucked up pricing levels the future holds.

rd400racer likes this.
  20. rd400racer

Good answers, thanks guys. And as some of you all know, I'm in the construction business so I realize the increases we've seen. And a final item on this house...my daughter lives in it. The windows are shot and I've spent almost no money on this house in the 38 years I've owned it. It needs many upgrades. Windows are just a start.