1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Civic or Mazda 3

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Jul 5, 2021.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would say yes, unless you are drag racing and/or constantly canyon carving.
    How long the VW electronics make it that long is the real question. Actually they seem more impacted by time than mileage, so using a VW for lots of miles per year is probably a good thing.

Boman Forklift and ducnut like this.
  2. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

We had a 2010 Jetta TDI with the DSG box, bought new and did 200,000 miles in 5 years, then someone crashed into it. Zero issues with the DSG.

We then purchased a used (60k miles) 2013 Passat TDI also with the DSG, put 60k on that one with zero DSG issues. Someone crashed into it when the car had 120k, still miss this one. 50mpg highway no problem.

We now have a 2016 Passat gasser with the normal auto with 120k, while it also has no problems, the DSG drives/shifts so much nicer/smoother.

The only downside with the DSG is 60k service interval that costs $350-$400 at the dealer (or you need the computer to DIY).

3. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

If MPG is your goal, how about a C-Max? That was what my realtor drove for a while, and he liked it.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Okay, hear me out here before you lose your freakin mind and shit but. . . what about one of those ghey ass prius? If mileage is your main goal.

Gawd, can't believe I actually said that but let it ride. :D

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

going to have to quote that for posterity reasons. And the answer is no. People that like to drive don't need any Toyota, outside of the Twins and the BMWra'

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

If you don't mind horrible MPG then this could be a good option. :D

cha0s#242 and BigBird like this.
  7. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Mileage is a goal, and reliability. Not driving a Prius is the main goal.

BigBird likes this.
  8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Looking over from your high horse over there, in Civic/Mazda 3 land....

Priuses are great if your fragile egos can handle it. :blart: The electric motor makes it faster than most economy cars when you put your foot down, and you'd struggle to get LESS than 30 mpg being full throttle everywhere.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

It comes down to the goal. if fuel mileage is the only goal, then yeah, a hybrid may work, but a hybrid works best in city, not for burning highway miles. A diesel is probably best for that.

If you want something that actually drives well and not like an appliance, then the OP is on the right track. Especially since they will be in the car for long periods of time, I would say a nice interior would be high on the list also, that's why I also mentioned the VW. (btw water pumps are it's Achilles heel, they use plastic ones that fail)

ducnut likes this.
  10. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

The Mazda 3 is offered in two engine options the 2.0 and the 2.5. Both get the same gas mileage due to the 2.5 having cylinder disable. This is another feature I question the reliability of.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Might be able to disable that with an aftermarket device...or a good tech?

Honda's 3.5 in the Ridgeline has that dumb shit and it eventually destroys the engine mounts as it repeatedly kicks on and off. The aftermarket saved the day.

12. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

Lexus CT 200H

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What about one of those cute utes? Rav4, CRV or even something like the CX5?

I like the new Tiguan a lot.

Do they still import the Jetta/ golf wagon? That wouldn't suck!

A VW GLI would be roomy and fun but it uses premium. The Passat doesn't totally suck with the right motor and is roomy.

PistolPete likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That’s just a pretty Prius and they do look much better.

ducnut and PistolPete like this.
  15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

My wife likes her CX5, but mileage can be beat with a compact sedan. Hell, the Ecodiesel Dodge I had got better hwy mileage.

16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

As someone who drives ~65k a year for work, make sure you take a LONG test drive to see how the seats work for you and also for wind noise and how smooth it goes down the road. I've burned through a few vehicles over the years and the ones that have a lot of wind noise just wears you out so much more and if you're bouncing down the road it sucks too. My current ride I picked up last October, but I went with a CPO Passat Diesel. Paid 14k for it and its the SEL so it has all the whistles and bells, but its super quiet going down the road and very comfortable. The SEL seats were a big improvement over the SE and VW does a 2 year unlimited mile bumper to bumper factory warranty. You'll get more time out of that warranty than a new car warranty and pay way less up front. My plan is to see how its done at about a year and a half in and if it's been dead reliable I'll just keep running it. If I have problems I'll dump it with some warranty left and move on. They only do the unlimited mile deal on the diesels though and they are VERY hard to find these days. I've put 46k on it so far and its been perfect so far other than a heater core the week after I got it. These things sat on lots or in warehouses for a year or more during the diesel gate thing and for whatever reason they pretty much all needed a heater core soon after going back in service.

BigBird likes this.
  17. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Answer the original question as it was asked...Honda versus Mazda.
    Having had a few of each.....

Honda 6 ways to next Sunday..all day.... all night.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Haven’t heard that. Just put another 3500+ miles on the Pilot with that same plant, and at >270k the VVT and motor mounts have had no problems (had to replace one leaky valve, at like 265k).

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Don't have a horse in this race, but I will say that I'm glad Honda FINALLY went back to sane styling on the Civic. The new 2022 model is quite attractive, and I'm willing to bet the SI models (once released) are going to be a hoot with a manual.

You can even get the new 2022 hatchback model with a manual and 180hp:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    cha0s#242 likes this.
  20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That definitely looks better than all those black cutout fake vents from before.

NemesisR6 likes this.