1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hanging a heavy mirror on lath and plaster walls

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Feb 27, 2021.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What can I use to hang a heavy mirror on lath and plaster walls? The studs don't line up to the narrow space (one offset stud), and I'm thinking that loading up a couple of molly bolts with 100-ish lbs of glass and tile might not end well.

An option I was thinking might work is to run a 3/4" board across the space with a series of molly bolts (and pick up the one stud) to spread the load, then single hang the mirror from a stout hook on the board, or maybe two hooks for the hanging wire.

Any other ideas? There's no access to the back side of the wall for a doubler or other reinforcement, and I'm not keen on cutting in an access hatch in the closet wall, even though it would be sorta hidden.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Old school real plaster? Should be fine spread across a couple few mollys.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

How heavy is the mirror? One bolt into a stud and a drywall anchor for the other.

4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I pulled two mirrors that were 8'x30" off a wall in my house during the remodel. Both mirros had a black construction adhesive holding them to the drywall, I had to pry them off with a crow bar. They weren't going anywhere with that stuff holding it on, both mirrors probably weighed over 100lbs each.

Mirrors were mounted over the orange painted area. Screenshot_20210227-203016.png

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    BigBird and 418 like this.
  5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It's about 100 lbs. I can barely pick it up just to move it around. About five feet tall, three feet wide, and two inches thick. Beveled glass and albacore tile around the perimeter. I think it looks great free standing in the hallway, but my sister (owner of the house and mirror) wants it a little higher up.

I'll see if the stud aligns with one corner, but I think that it's offset enough that it won't pick up the corner of the mirror.

6. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Your idea of installing a sheet of 3/4" plywood bolted to the wall to spread the weight is good.

Mastic or PL adhesive as mentioned above is also good. Just build a support to hold the mirror and tape it to the wall as the adhesive cures and you will be all set.

Not many other options when the mirror is narrow and you can't secure into multiple studs.

BigBird and R1M370 like this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't even think about putting a footer under the mirror to support it, then a couple of hooks to keep it from tipping out. It's tall enough that the base won't be too visible. I don't want to use adhesive as my sister tends to redecorate every couple of years and I don't want to have to destroy the wall to change out the mirror.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

First world problem.

Dave_SV likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Drop the mirror while attempting to handle it.

problem solved

badmoon692008, BigBird, joec and 7 others like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

on the sister. to prevent future requests.

11. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Man your not hanging a deck lever board just a mirror!
    Use these- and be sure to hit lath.. not the space between just plaster( the angle will keep the nails in place) the only pressure on the fastner is “sheer” force and these are good for 50 lbs each..
    On the side where I have a stud you will nail into it with the nails that come in pack..
    7 years! Good luck

upload_2021-2-27_23-25-58.jpeg

joec likes this.
  12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea with a 100 lb mirror you need to make sure it's done correctly. I like the lower bracket idea also, it creates more work, but would look nice.

13. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

These are exactly what I used to hang a large wooden American flag that weighs 80#'s. I used the ones with the 3 holes in them. I also use a stud pop to help find the studs, thing works awesome.

14. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

If you can figure out if the wall has a double top plate, you can hang the mirror from that on thin cables?

15. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

I’ve used these in my plaster and lath. Results were not stellar even fully pinned in lath.
    My suggestion is the Kaptoggles
    https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/50957

Drill and zip. Boom.

BigBird likes this.
  16. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

What’s a stud pop?

17. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

18. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I did it on my 5x6 mirror in my spare bathroom. Ran three clips on the bottom and three in the top. Works great, and it’s on drywall not plaster with lathe

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Whatever soda im drinking.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's what you'll grow into if you eat your Wheaties son.