1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 Reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Oct 12, 2020.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Do you think MA is going to restrict the induction or not allow certain motor mods? What about weight? Will they require weight added to it?

What kind of money does Aprilia have to pay for something like this?

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

We will find out soon. No idea on the homologation fee..

3. 418

418 Expert #59

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If Aprilia is going this far in the process, I would imagine they have the money to pay the fee.
    The question will be if they will pay the fee if they feel the rules are too unfair to their new bike (too much weight, not enough mods allowed). No way to know on that one until the official announcement.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep forgetting about homologation fees. We really should get into that income stream :crackup:

ducnut likes this.
  6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Isn't this all a foregone conclusion at this point?

I see posts from Twins Cup racers and teams here they've already bought the bikes and are modding away to their hearts content.

I have to believe they know the Homologation process is a formality and all they are waiting on is info to find out what their rpm limit will be and what the bikes min weight will be set at - a la the Ninja 400 that has an rpm limit and min bike/rider weight to "even" the field which, clearly it hasn't.

7. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Biggest question I have is if it will get a 2 mil piston allowance right away or not. Recall, the SV/EX did not get the displacement allowance at first and then there was a rules update to allow 2 mil pistons to match up better with the Yamaha.

The RS clearly makes good top end power, but it does seem to be a little flat in the mid range (similar to the Kawasaki 650). The power advantage of the high rpm range is maybe not as useful as the mid range poke off the corners.

Allowing 2 mil pistons coupled with an rpm limit could level the field but make the Aprilia more expensive to make competitive. That’s probably too complicated to start with; too many unknowns. I’m interested to see what Tige does.

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'll bring a 12 pack of PBR to CMP. That should cover it..

5axis likes this.
  9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Frickin hipster

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't do PBR. Or just 12... :crackup:

JJJerry likes this.
  11. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Don’t say shit about pbr. It’s the best stuff

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You're definitely a hipster you, cop and metal head are a squadron of hipsters

Phl218 and WANABE RACER like this.
  13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ok, what secret go fast trick am I missing here? The 660 has to retain stock pistons, rings, wristpins, piston clips rods and cylinders. Cylinder liners are free though. Why specifically allow liners to be monkey'd with, and with the above restrictions what could you gain from said monkeying?

14. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Being able to replace liners in case you damage one. Otherwise, you'd have to replace the cases. As far as stock pistons go, I don't know if that means stock size OE pistons, or they will allow OE oversize pistons. That would be another reason to allow replacement liners. If someone wanted to get tricky, maybe make some aluminum liners, and then nikasil plate them. Not sure if that would reduce friction any. Just spitballing here.

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I don't believe oversize OEM is allowed based on the wording: "Pistons must be the originally fitted and homologated part with no modification"

16. Eric_O8a

Eric_O8a Active Member

Seems the intention is there is no secret go fast trick. They want to make the RS660 as bonestock as possible so it would be fair to compete against the modified SV’s and MT07’s

17. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Well, that would answer the overbore question. OE piston, stock size. (the homologated part). In some engine manufacturing facilities (not necessarily motorcycle), there may be an in plant off line repair process that would allow use of oversize/undersize parts in order to save a block/crank/engine.

18. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If same as aprilia sxv sleeves are not attached to cases, they are just separate tubes sitting in cases. You take head off and pull sleeves out, very easy to replace.
    On sxv sleeves are aluminum with coating.

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

IIRC Ducati uses similar on their later motors, and IIRC some KTM single cylinders as well. The KTMs stick in my head as they were playing with fins/ridging the coolant side of the sleeve to get more heat transfer. It doesn't look like the RSV4 uses liners, which is interesting as I thought the 660 was heavily derived from it? Looks like on the SXV you could buy the liners separate, if the 660 follows suit, they could just stick to OEM liners, easy. This allowance is in place for a reason and I'm super curious who asked for it and why.

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Nobody needed to ask, it makes sense. Same as any other bike that has to stay stock bore. You replace piston and cylinder when needed. For aprilia that is sleeve and piston, same shit.

ducnut and Boman Forklift like this.