1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jan 4, 2021.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My 86 year old dad has finally surrendered his license, said he's finished driving. He's giving my wife his 2012 Lexus RX350 with 12K miles. I'm currently driving an 03 LS430 that is quite pimp but not in great kit and she has an 07 Pilot. I'm going to sell both and get something decent myself. I don't really want to spend more than $15K.

A few that I'm looking at are the Infiniti G & M37's, Acura TL and maybe another Lexus, possibly even an LS460. But I want something slightly pimp but also a little sporty, hence the first few choices. My only issue with the Infiniti's are reliability. I still have my Titan and in the last couple of years it's nickel and dimed me to death. Do the Infiniti's have the same issues as Nissan's? (crappy electronics etc). Model years of all are in the 10-14 range that I'm looking at.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Infiniti G37 is a great car that I had no issues with. That Lexus RX350 with 12k miles, still has another 10 years of easy ownership. I know it's on the small side, but is it worth trading it in with so few miles?

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Nah, simply because my wife has driven a crappy Pilot for the last 13 years and dad is doing this because he really cares about my wife and wants her to have something nice. She's treated my stepmom like a saint (which she is) and my dad appreciates that.

The Infiniti looks like a good car all around, I just don't want a maintenance cow.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If that RX350 is paid for with 12k on it I'd sell the LS430 and put whatever that brings in the bank. Put her in the RX350 and you drive the pilot until it dies...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

so you're selling the Honda and old Lexus, is that right?
    G37 >>>>Q50
    Can't go wrong with another Lexus either. I don't really do used cars, but I know they are pretty maintenance free, but lack the emotional and handling aspect that I need from a car.

rd400racer likes this.
  6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Get a Lexus GS350 F Sport.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Remember, Infiniti is a rebadged Nissan is a rebadged Datsun...

Walk away. I’d say run, but unless it’s a downhill path, the Datsun won’t make it far before a wheel falls off. :D

With the RX and an empty nest, cargo carrying/kid schlepping aren’t going to be concerns. Get yourself something you want. Maybe fish that BMW out of the ditch. :D

Too soon? :crackup:

Toyota or Honda based for the overseas brands will give you your best reliability IMHO. Stateside stuff, look to Toyota and Honda brands. :D

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I think that’s what he’s doing. Dumping the Pilot and the LS, wife gets the RX and he gets a dually diesel with a delete and smoke stacks. :D

rd400racer, BrianC636 and BigBird like this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

okay, you are keeping the RX and getting rid of your old LS and the Pilot, correct?

rd400racer likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Agree with the above assessment of Infinti=Nissan=Datsun.

They even warn you about how many dollars it takes to maintain it in the name.....Infiniti.

Sell what you want and buy a C8 vette. Your old enough and white enough to own one of those.

StaccatoFan, YamahaRick, Razr and 2 others like this.
  11. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

My girlfriend got an is 350 F sport a little while back, little small inside but otherwise a very nice car.

I'm driving an 03 infinity g35 right now, has 36 k on the clock. A bunch of little shit has failed on the car. I think of it as a Japans version of a Dodge.

StaccatoFan and rd400racer like this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Our IS 350 F Sport was pretty tiny in the back seat. Handled well, sweet interior, the worst infotainment system I've ever used and lacked in the power department for something with a 6 banger and not good on gas.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio!

bleacht, dudutzu and ChemGuy like this.
  14. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I love my old Datsun's, but watch out for the oil galley gasket issues in the 2011 and prior G37 M37's. I have an 09 G37s coupe and it's been a great car but all of the ones prior to 2012 have paper gaskets that fail in the rear timing cover. 2012 introduced an improved gasket that seems to have fixed the issue. All of the original style ones will fail. Mine failed at 100k but some have failed much earlier. Check the vehicle history to see if it's been done. The other dumb issue they have is with the manual transmission slave cylinder failing, normally not a big deal right? Nope, they put it inside the bellhousing so you have to pull the transmission to replace it. There are a few kits to convert it to external but they are expensive.

15. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Closer to a BMW imo.

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

2021 Subaru WRX

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd also stay away from Nissan/infiniti. What's wrong with the 430? Looks like you can get 2010 460's for $15K these days with under 100K on them, far from "sporty" but I prefer the effortless V8 acceleration over something faster but more frantic. If fuel costs aren't a big concern you could get rid of the Titan too and cover a lot of bases with a nice SUV like a Sequoia or LX570. Quality-wise Acura is right there, but other than their flagship cars (NSX) none of them ever did much for me.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

:crackup:Ringland failure specialty, and I am assuming he's not driving a stick these days, so the CVT is straight garbage.

Jedb likes this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you really want sporty, get you a Corvette. You look like a Vette guy... :D

sadly, I do too

rd400racer likes this.
  20. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Not true ... if you take care of a BMW they're not that expensive to maintain. My 04 roadster has required very little in the form of repairs, and just basic maintenance, but my wifes 04 altima 3.5SE was a maintenance nightmare. We'll never own another Nissan brand vehicle again. Just the fact that the VQ engine had massive oil consumption that nissan said was 'normal' (no, 1 qt burned off in 1000 miles is not normal) has turned me off on the brand.