1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale vs rs/tz150r for Training

Discussion in 'General' started by Foolius, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Foolius

Foolius New Member

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm planning on getting into kart track riding next year to help train more hours at lower costs.

I've been looking through the options, and I've come to two different bikes, a 150r in an rs or tz chassis, or an ohvale. From what I've looked up, both have racing classes at norcal tracks, and I'd like to race too, but the main focus is for training skills that will translate to a full size bike/track.

Thoughts? Opinions? How do they compare?

I'm 5'11 170 if that matters, thanks a lot!

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I vote Ohvale.

They’re a hoot!

I’m 2 inches shorter & 70 pounds heavier than you for reference.

My son and I race them and it’s great fun time for me with him. Cheap seat time as you mentioned. And Rise Moto has been awesome for me with parts and support.

I just got my 190 for my Bday.
    It’s my tribute to Nicky and Evil Knievel.

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

4. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i've ridden an ohvale 190 at the kart track and i own a husky FS450. IMO the 450 is better in every way. the Ohvale has its quirks but i just didn't like it alot.

418 and racerx13 like this.
  5. Foolius

Foolius New Member

I thought about a sumo, and I'll admit the only riding I've done on one was just some dicking around on someone else's bike, but from what I gather the body position, lines, and the way you enter a corner is completely different from what you'd do on a sportbike. It kinda put me off from them as a training tool, but then again I could very well have gotten the completely wrong impression, as my experience with them is almost zero.

6. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

You can rent an Ohvale up here in NorCal and give it a shot yourself. Ed (California Mini Grand Prix) is out at Stockton pretty regularly. I rode the 110 and the 190. Both were stupid fun even at my 6'2" frame.

jd41 likes this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The lines of the supermoto vs sportbike depends on the track and which sport bike tbh, fast flowing track? The lines are the same for me and others that are much faster than I am. Tight track you definitely point and shoot more.
    Body position is pretty much the same for me as a sport bike which the exception of on the super Moto you need to be up on the tank.

How you enter the corner depends again on the track and on the the rider.
    I think the ohvales are great, I can't fit on one comfortably, but just as many pro riders train on supermoto vs gp mini bikes. More actually.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a dirtbike can be ridden like a sportbike on a kart track...

Blammo, 418 and turbulence like this.
  9. Bruh.

Did you at least do it in private?

turbulence and TurboBlew like this.
  10. Foolius

Foolius New Member

Nah, he was standing by watching the whole thing. Seems there wasn't a point in someone else riding his bike if he wasn't there to watch, at least according to him.

11. Lawd hammercy. :crackup:

DucatiBomber, Senna and SuddenBraking like this.
  12. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

My first mini was a kayo when I started hitting the kart tracks for the same reasons as you. I bought because I liked the fact that it's similar ergos, GP shift, and underpowered like my race bike (RC390).

After about a year and a half I test road a kx65 and said "fuck this shit the ergos are way to awkward" but I ended up buying a nice used one for 1700 anyway lol.

Fast forward to today and I take both bikes to the track and ride both on the same day. Both are a blast for their own unique reasons. I just lean more towards the kx65 because my knees and back hurt less the following day and I can get more sessions in. I wouldn't worry about thing like ergos and familiarity, once you get used to them you realize skills transfer from bike to bike. Only time I forget the kx65 is not gp shift is when I'm exiting the track and don't focus as much.

Edit: I'm 5'9" 170... 30 waist, 12ish bodyfat

13. drewnabobber

drewnabobber Well-Known Member

I ride for fun, you still learn lots of fun skills on a mini moto (yz85 for me) and it is just so much more enjoyable than folding up into a mini sport bike. They crash better and are easier to work on as well.

14. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

I’ve owned a rs125 with a CR85 engine & have ridden ohvales many times. I could never get comfortable on the ohvale (I’m 6’1”). My RS was a dream and I regret selling it.

I now own a 450 Supermoto which is an absolute blast on kart tracks. The ergonomics take some time getting used to when you’re riding knee down.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Troof. I've got several bikes in my garage, and there's only one that scares me a bit and that's the KX65 with 12" wheels. That thing is the devil :D

I am way oversized for it and need to sit further back in the seat so my knees don't hit the handlebars, but it's a fucking riot.

I'm 6'3, 245, 38 inch waist, all the bodyfat.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I would put 17’s on a 85....
    They will teach you more.

17. backbone

backbone scarred for life

The Ohvales are great, but the RS is the way to go. imo

18. Foolius

Foolius New Member

Damn you guys aren't making this easy. :crackup:

Pretty much equal recommendations for ohvale, rs, and a new challenger the sumos. So, one more question: how do they crash? I've heard the ohvales are pretty much indestructible, and I'd imagine the sumos would crash well too. How about the rs? Are those things pretty fragile or do they do okay?

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I slammed my fs on the ground when I tucked the front at 60mph and the bike jumped a curb while sliding, I replaced the axel slider and hand guards just because I want it to look clean. I wish I crashed as well as the bike haha

turbulence likes this.
  20. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

my FS450 has been down twice and you’d never know.. one low side, one high side...

$100 in new parts