1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Crazy For Considering Moving to Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

I heard it’s a top secret place

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Reading the last few pages really clarifies the answer to the title question.

BigBird and wsmc42 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

:stupid:

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

If a guy is flying daily out of state just to avoid CA residency then he’s making big $$$. I’d still be careful, but they’re not going to put that much effort into catching a middle class guy.

Also, the state was right about that guy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    The Great One likes this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I have turned down many a job offer that would require a move back to that hateful place. The closest I came to accepting was one where I didn't have to move back, but could commute a couple weeks per quarter. But it was only double what I make now, so not worth it. I completely sympathize with the guy for wanting to not spend entire days in Kalifornistan, but he should have been smarter about it. Move to NV and commute inbound to KA when necessary.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I make pretty good money where I'm at while working, but winter closes me down for 2-4 months, that's a big hit. But what he's offering is substantially more than I make now. 10k a week would help my retirement fund considerably.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I never thought about living in Nevada and commuting to LA.

8. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

More like flying out Tuesday morning and back Thursday or Friday. It wasn’t consistent every week but pretty consistent and the return flight is what got hi
    More to the situation, but moral of the story is California is cracking down on time in California ca time in another state and cc spending is how they’re accomplishing it.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You're being offered a half mil a year to sell fireplaces? Dayummmmm dude!

BigBird and wsmc42 like this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

How do they track cc spending without an audit or subpoena? Probably a dumb question... I guess CA tax board has access to everything.

11. SGVRider

They have access to a lot, but I doubt even they can get access to a bank’s financial records without a legal order. If you have the money and motivation to fly several times a week between CA and NV to avoid CA residency and taxes then that means you make enough to be a target for enforcement.

Not like it’d be hard to identify that pattern, there’s not that many people making that level of income. He could also be in a business that makes it worth it, or already a known scofflaw to the state who decided he could outsmart them.

They just have to show the flights he took I would think. If there’s no legitimate reason for the pattern of travel I can’t imagine it would be hard to get a warrant or subpoena.

Why would you? Playing that game a few times a week is only worth it when you’re making millions. Anything less and the cost of the fun and games will dwarf just paying the taxes. There are other ways to structure business to reduce your tax burden anyway, up to a point.

If you use common sense, aren’t making millions, and don’t play little fuck fuck games with them the state isn’t going to take an interest in you.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What’s this fuck-fuck games you speak of?

13. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

There are multiple moving parts but it was an honest mistake and he paid what he owed. My point was if you are trying to cut it close be careful because California will audit you and they will dig into spending.

14. SGVRider

Commuting between states during the week while you conduct most business in CA while claiming NV residency will be interpreted by the authorities as one. Intent or no.

Filing for divorce in another state then withdrawing it to establish residency there. Buying property with shell companies and renting it to yourself to avoid owning property in whatever state you live in. Using shell companies to register expensive cars or personal property out of state.

I’m sure there are hundreds of sneaky quasi-legal maneuvers you can use. If you have a substantial income they won’t fail to recognize those games for what they are and will make it a personal mission to get you.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's what this guy is telling me. It's a commission position, and he thinks I can sell 100k a week, and it's 10% commission. He is forced to make sales calls, and has sold two jobs last week that would pay a sales guy 20k each. I actually find it hard to believe, but there's no reason for him to bullshit me. We shall see.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So, the solution seems simple...

A quick look at the calendar reveals, to borrow a meme:

[​IMG]

When you're already going to be shut down where you're at, drive to KA, stay in an one of those extended stay joints (or move around, if it suits the need/commute) and see it for yourself on a short term basis.

BigBird likes this.
  17. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Use cash?

evakat likes this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I leave for Cal in a couple weeks, and will stay for a month, to see what's up.

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Fires are in LA County, and has affected their business, and two major projects in northeast LA were shut down this week. I'm on a 3-4 week delay, early November now. I might just wait till January when I shut down anyway. He was extremely apologetic today, but it actually helps me. I'm super busy here, and the weather has been absolutely perfect, lows in the 50s, highs mid 70s, and we haven't had any rain in three weeks.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

Most times things happen for a reason. The answer is there, and you may be missing it.

Banditracer, wsmc42 and YamahaRick like this.